Turbo boost slowing down cpu

After 2 whole years i finnaly figured ot out how to use turbo speed by using "turbo ratio offset" But it slows down my pc

What board, what CPU, what's the setting in the BIOS called, what was it set to originally, and what did you change it to? Change any other settings or just that one?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, Zando_ said:

What board, what CPU, what's the setting in the BIOS called, what was it set to originally, and what did you change it to? Change any other settings or just that one?

Msi h510m-a-pro. I3 10100.  Cpu ratio apply mode> turbo ratio offset.  The original settings is cpu ratio apply mode> all cores. Nope i didn't change anything

32 minutes ago, Mogush said:

Msi h510m-a-pro. I3 10100.  Cpu ratio apply mode> turbo ratio offset.  The original settings is cpu ratio apply mode> all cores. Nope i didn't change anything

Hmmm. I can't seem to find what the turbo ratio offset is offsetting. If it's off base clock and you left it at +0 on each core, that would be why the PC runs slower. If it's off the turbo multiplier, then there could be some shenanigans with Turbo Boost that cause it to run slower. That board isn't a Z board and that CPU isn't a K chip (so no unlocked multiplier), usually the best you can do is force the single-core turbo clock on all cores. Which should be what the "all cores" ratio apply mode is doing.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Hmmm. I can't seem to find what the turbo ratio offset is offsetting. If it's off base clock and you left it at +0 on each core, that would be why the PC runs slower. If it's off the turbo multiplier, then there could be some shenanigans with Turbo Boost that cause it to run slower. That board isn't a Z board and that CPU isn't a K chip (so no unlocked multiplier), usually the best you can do is force the single-core turbo clock on all cores. Which should be what the "all cores" ratio apply mode is doing.

The offset is 4.3 for 1 core, 4.2 for 2 and 3 cores then 4.1 for 4 cores

5 hours ago, Mogush said:

The offset is 4.3 for 1 core, 4.2 for 2 and 3 cores then 4.1 for 4 cores

That sounds about right. If you set it back to the "all cores" ratio apply mode then it should run all cores at 4.3GHz boost correct? You've changed it to run 200Mhz lower (4.1GHz) when all cores are loaded, that'd be why it's slower.

Main PC 

8 hours ago, Zando_ said:

all cores

You need an unlocked K series CPU and a Z series motherboard tu run all cores at the maximum multiplier. 

4.1 GHz is the all core limit for a Core i3-10100.

15 hours ago, Zando_ said:

That sounds about right. If you set it back to the "all cores" ratio apply mode then it should run all cores at 4.3GHz boost correct? You've changed it to run 200Mhz lower (4.1GHz) when all cores are loaded, that'd be why it's slower.

What do i mean is that the base speed is 3.6ghz for all cores but the 3.6ghz is still faster than the 4.1

7 hours ago, Mogush said:

What do i mean is that the base speed is 3.6ghz for all cores but the 3.6ghz is still faster than the 4.1

That's... odd. What are you checking clocks/performance with?

Main PC 

On 2/29/2024 at 4:24 PM, Mogush said:

After 2 whole years

Two years is a long time to figure out how to enable Intel Turbo Boost. I am not sure what "turbo ratio offset" is. It is probably not necessary. Setting an offset might be why turbo boost is not working correctly.  

Try running ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows. This will show if the BIOS and Windows are setting your CPU up correctly. It will also show if Intel Turbo Boost is working correctly.

Run something simple like Cinebench to fully load the CPU. If your computer cannot maintain the full 4.1 GHz for the entire test, open Limit Reasons and find out why. If you have a power limit throttling problem, increase the turbo power limits in the BIOS. That might be why turbo boost is not working for you.

10 hours ago, Zando_ said:

That's... odd. What are you checking clocks/performance with?

Just booted up some apex and valorant, for valorant i get around 170 but now i get around 130-150

7 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Two years is a long time to figure out how to enable Intel Turbo Boost. I am not sure what "turbo ratio offset" is. It is probably not necessary. Setting an offset might be why turbo boost is not working correctly.  

Try running ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows. This will show if the BIOS and Windows are setting your CPU up correctly. It will also show if Intel Turbo Boost is working correctly.

Run something simple like Cinebench to fully load the CPU. If your computer cannot maintain the full 4.1 GHz for the entire test, open Limit Reasons and find out why. If you have a power limit throttling problem, increase the turbo power limits in the BIOS. That might be why turbo boost is not working for you.

Ok thanks