What can I do with an old PC?

Sanedish

Soo, basically i upgraded my R7 5800X to an R9 5950X and with it my RAM. I had a board, RAM and GPU [B550-E, 32GB 4000Mhz RAM, Quadro RTX 6000) laying around and build a system with an Dark Rock Pro 4 since i had it for a different project wich failed.

What can i do with that PC? it's pretty silent, even under load.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

2 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

realistically, if you have no use for it, then better off selling each part individually

well i won't get much more than 500€ total for the parts and i'd rather not sell it in case i need it one day, but i also don't want it to just sit and catch dust for the next 4 years or so...

Also: Keep in mind that the Quadro is not for sale.

And the rest of the system might also be a bit of a hassle to sell....

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

4 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

the Quadro is not for sale

well in that case yeah nah.
theres a lot you can do with it i guess, but it depends on your usecases. Maybe a gamestreaming server if you have any handhelds or something. Super grindy games you can load up on it and just let it sit on the handheld running while you work or do other things, play other games, ect.
it can live elsewhere in the house so the heat doesnt get to you if you're just doing light stuff on your main desktop too.
that's something I'd maybe do idk.

12 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

Maybe a Remote Play server if you have any handhelds or something?

Well I have literally no handheld devices except a pixel 7 pro, s22 ultra and an old S10. Maybe I can somehow host games to the S22U/The S10?

It could live elsewhere in the house so the heat doesn't get to you if you're just doing light stuff on your main desktop too...

Nope, I upgraded for a reason.

Also same reason as mentioned below.

Super grindy games you can load up on it and just let it sit on the handheld running while you work or do other things, play other games, ect.

Power Consumption 🫠

Hi, I have a bunch of old hardware and have recently torn apart an old server of mine, wich lead me to this hardware combination:

Xeon E3 1220V3

GTX 650Ti Boost

32GB RAM

What can I possibly do with this thing??

A home server is not an option since I still live with my parents and have absolutely no need for a second server, especially not one with those specs...

16 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

Power Consumption

well almost anything you could feasibly do with it will be either offloading stuff from your desktop to it which means running both at the same time, or things that you want to run 24/7.
either of these use a lot of power so I'm not sure what else you had in mind

Well nothing. i have literally no idea what i could possibly do with this thing :d

I might honestly just go and sell it to a friend with an RX6750XT cuz wth am i supposed to do else with it?

If you're not using it for gaming, put it to use by Folding@Home or something. If not that then sell it, no point keeping it around if you aren't using it. Put the money towards your next upgrade.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

24 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

If you're not using it for gaming, put it to use by Folding@Home or something.

Power consumption

image.png.a469c484fcddddb68df6f269c93a53c0.png

1 minute ago, Sanedish said:

Power consumption

image.png.a469c484fcddddb68df6f269c93a53c0.png

Honestly your only answer is sell it really. You're worried about power consumption so that means it should just be off. Which means it will sit there so selling it will give you the most value. Piece by piece that is. Especially now that it's still worth a bit.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Honestly your only answer is sell it really. You're worried about power consumption so that means it should just be off. Which means it will sit there so selling it will give you the most value. Piece by piece that is. Especially now that it's still worth a bit.

Well it will not give me more than around 500€ (The GPU is not for sale!!), wich isn't worth it for me.

the GPU is like 20 bucks mate, the CPU 10.

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

sell it?

Just now, Sanedish said:

the GPU is like 20 bucks mate, the CPU 10.

I mean yeah there is not much to do with this really. Other than store it not much you can really make with this.

1 minute ago, Sanedish said:

Well it will not give me more than around 500€ (The GPU is not for sale!!), wich isn't worth it for me.

I mean a 5800x is an easy 250€+ used, b550e easy 70€+, ram easy 70€, case dunno, psu dunno, dark rock pro 4 easy 50€

There is some value in the parts but else well it will just sit forever till it's worth nothing. Which is fine too

5 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

Throw it away then? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Sanedish said:

i'd rather not sell it in case i need it one day

But yeah, sell it, if you need something in the future then buy something again then. It'll be cheaper/better.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Sanedish said:

Hi, I have a bunch of old hardware and have recently torn apart an old server of mine, wich lead me to this hardware combination:

Xeon E3 1220V3

GTX 650Ti Boost

32GB RAM

What can I possibly do with this thing??

A home server is not an option since I still live with my parents and have absolutely no need for a second server, especially not one with those specs...

Sell it so you can start saving towards moving out

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

If you are so much against the power consumption, realistically you can't do much else than have it collecting dust or take the $500 and sell it.

Running it for Steam Link to stream games to mobile devices is pretty stupid if you have better PC and most likely if you're going to be streaming a game to a mobile device, you won't be using your PC (unless rendering or compiling or something) so you could just as well keep it running and stream from it.

Using it for renderfarm or similar is also kind of stupid if you really don't need two PC rendering farm. Using it as NAS/media PC is bit stupid as it's way overkill (and the power consumption). You probably don't have 3D printer so having dedicated PC for that is out of the picture. HTPC is quite niche these days with Steam Link and AndroidTV's everywhere. You could use it to host dedicated servers for games but that would require that you play games that use player hosted servers.

You could always nail the parts to a wall to make an art piece out of them if selling them or just holding on to them seems waste. (Just saying)

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Using it as NAS/media PC is bit stupid as it's way overkill (and the power consumption)

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

If you are so much against the power consumption, realistically you can't do much else than have it collecting dust or take the $500 and sell it.

You do realize that power consumption is not a black and white thing.  Folding@Home is definitely something I wouldn't ever do because of power consumption and also the wear on the components...but power consumption being a major factor.  So far the only responses where it's "power consumption" have been effectively ones where I agree with the OP, power consumption is a thing when you have it doing nothing but grinding away doing calculations etc.

Anyways to @Sanedish thought of plugging it into a TV and making it into a nice HTPC?

You can set up emulators etc, so that when you just want to relax and play some retro games you can do so in the comfort of your living room.  Movie night you don't have to suffer through lower quality stuff (or makes it so you don't need TV's that support streaming etc).

You can also double it up as working as a NAS as well (just one that is kept turned off most of the time)...only booting it up when you want to have access to tons of media to store movies.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

There is some value in the parts but else well it will just sit forever till it's worth nothing. Which is fine too

Do this so people like me can buy it in 5 years for pennies 

4 hours ago, Sanedish said:

i'd rather not sell it in case i need it one day,

That's hoarder mentality. You do NOT want to be thinking that.

You're not using it. Sell it or give it away to someone you know that could use it. Like a younger sibling or cousin or whatever.

Even if you do end up needing it, it likely will be years in the future. By then, the parts will be worth even less. It will be too late to sell them. At least if you sell them now, you'll get a relatively good return on your initial investment instead of letting it gather dust just for an "in case I need it".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, Sanedish said:

i'd rather not sell it in case i need it one day

That's a dangerous road you're setting off down, friend. "In case I need it one day," is the PC equivalent of, "Just one Oreo." Next thing you know, you have 74 computers lying around and your Oreos are gone.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

You can run a file server, mine bitgroin, set it up to play video games with your friends or relatives when they come over, or use it to sell government secrets.

4/5 of which I have done on my secondary pc.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.