Recommend a network setup for an apartment

Rupert P

Hey folks, apologies if this isn't the right place for this thread, but I've found the community's advice on builds and things very helpful.

What is a sensible way to distribute a gigabit fibre connection from isp to a c.1200 sqft. apartment? I have Cat6e wired up to each room and would probably plug a switch into each of those terminals just to handle all the devices in each room.

So what about access points and Cloud gateways and all that? I can afford Ubiquiti's U7 Pro and a dream machine but do I need them? What's the best match of price and performance etc. 

Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Rupert P said:

IDK what you're trying to do exactly. But if you're just an average joe....but you already have internet cables hooked up to each room, which is great. I would pour all of the connections into a un-managed switch connect Modem to switch which supports 1000 MBPS (1gig ) to distribute  internet for cheap let the dumb switch do it's thing. Then for WIFI get a router that supports 1GIB internet then, just get a set up a few in main areas. One in the living room. Then one in the hallway/towards bed room areas and call it a day.

1200 SQ feet isn't all that big, and doesn't require a whole lot of expensive gear.

if you search for deals/steals + buy a used switch or a cheapo budget switch that handles 1000 MBPS you're golden, then the same with the routers with ports that can handle/use 1000 MBPS you're good. Maybe in total if you can find deals 300$? Maybe cheaper 200? Or you can go cheaper with the wifi routers and have them support like 500 MBPS or 300 MBPS much cheaper but wifi speeds will be slower.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

If you don't need anything fancy, a bog standard router and an additional access point should do the trick, but how many APs you need heavily depends on the layout of your apartment. In terms of switching for your ethernet ports, any cheap gigabit switch with the number of ports you need should do the trick. I personally use TP-Link or D-Link products for my basic network needs because they're inexpensive and in my experience also work without issues.

I have a smaller apartment, so in my case i just needed a simple 5-port gigabit switch in addition the the 5 gigabit ports already on my Archer AX10 router and that's it. Total cost for these two devices and a few ethernet cables was around $60-70 give or take.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It really depends on how many Ethernet runs you plan on using. You don't need prosumer gear like ubiquiti, but it works well and has been more reliable than any other gear I've owned.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:12 PM, SImoHayha said:

IDK what you're trying to do exactly. But if you're just an average joe....but you already have internet cables hooked up to each room, which is great. I would pour all of the connections into a un-managed switch connect Modem to switch which supports 1000 MBPS (1gig ) to distribute  internet for cheap let the dumb switch do it's thing. Then for WIFI get a router that supports 1GIB internet then, just get a set up a few in main areas. One in the living room. Then one in the hallway/towards bed room areas and call it a day.

1200 SQ feet isn't all that big, and doesn't require a whole lot of expensive gear.

if you search for deals/steals + buy a used switch or a cheapo budget switch that handles 1000 MBPS you're golden, then the same with the routers with ports that can handle/use 1000 MBPS you're good. Maybe in total if you can find deals 300$? Maybe cheaper 200? Or you can go cheaper with the wifi routers and have them support like 500 MBPS or 300 MBPS much cheaper but wifi speeds will be slower.

Switch goes after router…. But yes, this would be fine for 99% of people. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air