What's a good 27" Monitor

Zuckerpapa
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

I'll gladly recommend the LG 27GP850-B.

It should cost around 270€ and offers a good all around package, being a flat 27" 1440p 180Hz IPS monitor with a wide color gamut and good response times. It also doesn't waste your money on built-in RGB or crappy speakers. It does technically support HDR, but since it doesn't have local dimming it'll be hit or miss and you might decide on a game-by-game basis if you want to use it over SDR. In terms of text clarity it's pretty good since it's 110 ppi and doesn't have any weird pixel layouts etc. Colors aren't very accurate out-of-the-box since it's a wide color gamut monitor and comes with an unclamped gamut by default. That means most colors will be oversaturated, but you can switch into the sRGB picture mode to fix that. Most users prefer a more saturated look though which is why it's set up like that by default. It also has the typical 3-sided slim bezel with a bigger chin. The included stand has all the typical adjustments.

To add to all the specs I have a bunch of LG displays myself and a few friends also still use the previous model of this monitor and we've all been trouble-free.

That should adress all your points above.

So i have been looking for a new monitor for quite some time now but the market is "saturated" to put it gentle.

All i am looking for is a 27 Inch 144Hz 1440p Gaming monitor. It does not have to be advertised as a gaming device, but it should be suitable for gaming.

But because i find it really hard to find a monitor that gives me the things i want/need while also not coming with a ton of garbage no one asked for for which i have to pay extra. Speaking of price, i don't want to overspend on a monitor so budget is generally considered a fairly big point.

Below is a list of my requirements. If anybody knows a good fit for what i need or something close to that i would highly appreciate a reply.

Thanks in advance!

The things that i most value are:
Fairly accurate Colors

1440p

144Hz

Low response time

Good picture quality/clarity because i am a programmer, so working with text is really important for me

Curved and Ultrawide sucks (i know, it's a hot take but i really don't like them)

Things that would be nice to have but aren't really necessary:

HDR Support

OLED Panel

Slim bezels

Things i absolutely do not care about:

Built-in speakers

Any kind of mounting capabilities apart from just a stand

More than one HDMI and DP Port

RGB

Basically everything extra that does not impact Image quality

Ryzen 5 5600X | 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3600 | MSI X570-A Pro | GTX 1060 6GB

Theres only 2 1440p panels you can choose from, Last years LG panels 240hz WOLED (or the slightly updated one that was quietly released last month), and this years samsungs QD OLED 360hz.

You can pick and choose which vendor you want to buy them from. Last years models will be priced down a bit now.

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Theres only 2 1440p panels you can choose from, Last years LG panels 240hz WOLED (or the slightly updated one that was quietly released last month), and this years samsungs QD OLED 360hz.

You can pick and choose which vendor you want to buy them from. Last years models will be priced down a bit now.

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my quetion - or i do not really understand your reply. I am looking for a good monitor with preferably these specs. There must be more than just 2

Ryzen 5 5600X | 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3600 | MSI X570-A Pro | GTX 1060 6GB

Just now, Zuckerpapa said:

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my quetion - or i do not really understand your reply. I am looking for a good monitor with preferably these specs. There must be more than just 2

Not for 1440p OLED. Other then that you can easily go down the rabbit hole of 1440p 144hz-240hz IPS displays. Doesnt make sense to spend more then 350$ on a 1440p Monitor at this point when the OLEDs are coming down in price. So you must make that choice since you didnt really give a budget.

Gigabyte M27QX was one of the better IPS ones but its 400$, usually goes on sale for 300$ish.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Not for 1440p OLED. Other then that you can easily go down the rabbit hole of 1440p 144hz-240hz IPS displays. Doesnt make sense to spend more then 350$ on a 1440p Monitor at this point when the OLEDs are coming down in price. So you must make that choice since you didnt really give a budget.

Gigabyte M27QX was one of the better IPS ones but its 400$, usually goes on sale for 300$ish.

Yup that clarified it, thanks. Budget for a monitor, at least in my opinion should not exceed 250ish but that might also be just me wishing you could get anything good for a reasonable price. But since the upgrade is planned for when after i get a new graphics card (currently waiting to see what RDNA4 has to offer later this year) i will keep an eye on LG and Samsung OLED Panels to see if they change much in price. Thank you for now.

5 minutes ago, Zuckerpapa said:

Budget for a monitor, at least in my opinion should not exceed 250ish

With a budget like that you're looking at entry level stuff like the ever popular Gigabyte M27Q. 1440p, 170Hz, IPS. The current Rev2 is solid and nothing else in that price bracket is really going to better in any meaningful way. (i'm sure others will chime in with their favorite option in that range) If HDR was something you were really interested in, the new AOC Q27G3XMN is very interesting but that's $280. 

That's about the limit i'd suggest spending unless you jump up to the 240Hz options, then on to OLED. 

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

AOC Q27G3XMN is very interesting but that's $280

Well well well... maybe it's just the European market but over here in Germany they both cost about 380 to 400 which is not exactly a steal. But i will keep an eye on that, thanks.

I'll gladly recommend the LG 27GP850-B.

It should cost around 270€ and offers a good all around package, being a flat 27" 1440p 180Hz IPS monitor with a wide color gamut and good response times. It also doesn't waste your money on built-in RGB or crappy speakers. It does technically support HDR, but since it doesn't have local dimming it'll be hit or miss and you might decide on a game-by-game basis if you want to use it over SDR. In terms of text clarity it's pretty good since it's 110 ppi and doesn't have any weird pixel layouts etc. Colors aren't very accurate out-of-the-box since it's a wide color gamut monitor and comes with an unclamped gamut by default. That means most colors will be oversaturated, but you can switch into the sRGB picture mode to fix that. Most users prefer a more saturated look though which is why it's set up like that by default. It also has the typical 3-sided slim bezel with a bigger chin. The included stand has all the typical adjustments.

To add to all the specs I have a bunch of LG displays myself and a few friends also still use the previous model of this monitor and we've all been trouble-free.

That should adress all your points above.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:01 PM, Stahlmann said:

I'll gladly recommend the LG 27GP850-B

This seems to exactly what i was looking for. Regarding HDR it should either way be one hell of an adventure since i am using Linux as my main desktop and at least from what i have heard, they don't mix really well

17 hours ago, Zuckerpapa said:

This seems to exactly what i was looking for. Regarding HDR it should either way be one hell of an adventure since i am using Linux as my main desktop and at least from what i have heard, they don't mix really well

Afaik most Linux distros don't support HDR at all. I know Steam has made it so the distro they use for the Deck OLED supports HDR, but I haven't heard of other distros adding HDR support.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

25 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Afaik most Linux distros don't support HDR at all. I know Steam has made it so the distro they use for the Deck OLED supports HDR, but I haven't heard of other distros adding HDR support.

Well i will try it, for better or for worse. Also since i am using Nobara which is pretty closely related to Steam Play i might have a pretty good chance at getting it to work. But yeah, i am very much prepared for it either not working at all or needing a lot of tinkering.

4 hours ago, Zuckerpapa said:

Well i will try it, for better or for worse. Also since i am using Nobara which is pretty closely related to Steam Play i might have a pretty good chance at getting it to work. But yeah, i am very much prepared for it either not working at all or needing a lot of tinkering.

Sounds like Linux alright. Jokes aside, I hope you'll be happy with the monitor!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 10:34 AM, Stahlmann said:

Afaik most Linux distros don't support HDR at all.

Well that aged like fine milk, KDE just announced native HDR support with Plasma 6 under Wayland

16 minutes ago, Zuckerpapa said:

Well that aged like fine milk, KDE just announced native HDR support with Plasma 6 under Wayland

Idk what that means KDE, Plasma 6 or Wayland means but I guess more support is better? Here's hoping that the implementations are good enough to be usable, not just a box they're trying to check off.

42 minutes ago, Zuckerpapa said:

Don't get too excited, you'd spend $600-700 minimum to get a display capable true HDR in the first place. That LG, as with all cheaper edge lit LCD's can't really reproduce HDR, regardless of what the box says. Its a common marketing tactic, let the display accept an HDR signal and then call it an HDR display. They're not wrong, but they've misleading consumers who aren't in the know. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Don't get too excited, you'd spend $600-700 minimum to get a display capable true HDR in the first place. That LG, as with all cheaper edge lit LCD's can't really reproduce HDR, regardless of what the box says. Its a common marketing tactic, let the display accept an HDR signal and then call it an HDR display. They're not wrong, but they've misleading consumers who aren't in the know.

I was usually of the same opinion, but after seeing a few HDR400 or HDR600 monitors in person I changed my mind on this. Sure, it's not "true HDR" most of the time, but it's still a nice bonus because some games still reap the benefits of higher brightness or more color saturation, even if the dark areas don't get the added detail of dimmable backlight zones. When I still had my LG 27GN950-B, which only had 8 or 16 vertical zones, most games that supported HDR actually looked better than SDR. So even on these monitors, it's still worth trying it out and deciding to use it or not to use it on a game-by-game basis.

On 3/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, Stahlmann said:

Idk what that means KDE, Plasma 6 or Wayland means but I guess more support is better? Here's hoping that the implementations are good enough to be usable, not just a box they're trying to check off.

Remains to see how well this is actually implemented, but as of my knowledge it's Plasma 6 with Wayland since Support for X11 will become less and less over the next few months