144hz vs 240hz

Blasty Blosty

I currently have a 1080p 144hz monitor, and I was thinking about upgrading to a 1440p, but I also want a higher refresh rate than 144 as I play a lot of esports (CS2 and Overwatch). So I thought get the best of both worlds and get a 1440p 240hz. I was just wondering if there is a significant difference between 144hz and 240hz? Is it the same kind of difference jumping from 60hz to 144hz? Thanks.

Not a huge difference visually, but you will feel that the game is more responsive.

Make sure your GPU can handle the load. That's a lot more pixels and frames to dish out. I have a 21:9 1440p display and my 3070ti is breathing heavy during game. I connected it to a 1080p projector and I can't even hear the fans spinning. It's definitely something to consider.

agreed with the above. It's not nearly as perceptible of a difference as 24 to 60, or 60 to 144 were, but you will notice better fluidity in your quick/jerking reactions.

The bigger question, as pointed out, will be if your GPU can handle the extra load. Depending on your current GPU and whether or not you plan to upgrade that piece as well, you may be better off at 1080p 240hz right now (though that's not to say you can't still get the higher end monitor and push its boundaries more down the line)

27 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Is it the same kind of difference jumping from 60hz to 144hz? Thanks.

No.

Frame to frame at 60Hz is 16.66ms and a jump to 144Hz is a 9.71ms improvement.

From 144Hz to 240Hz it's a 2.77ms improvement.

It is perceivable? Yes. If you can actually maintain that FPS you can benefit from it but it's not a massive difference and depending on how good screen you get, it may or may not be further negated by poor pixel response times.

24 minutes ago, johnt said:

Not a huge difference visually, but you will feel that the game is more responsive.

Make sure your GPU can handle the load. That's a lot more pixels and frames to dish out. I have a 21:9 1440p display and my 3070ti is breathing heavy during game. I connected it to a 1080p projector and I can't even hear the fans spinning. It's definitely something to consider.

10 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

agreed with the above. It's not nearly as perceptible of a difference as 24 to 60, or 60 to 144 were, but you will notice better fluidity in your quick/jerking reactions.

The bigger question, as pointed out, will be if your GPU can handle the extra load. Depending on your current GPU and whether or not you plan to upgrade that piece as well, you may be better off at 1080p 144hz right now (though that's not to say you can't still get the higher end monitor and push its boundaries more down the line)

I have a 2060 right now, but plan to upgrade to a 4070 super. I mainly want the higher refresh rate for competitive esports, most of my playtime is in CS2 or Overwatch.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

There is  tiny difference but most people cant tell even if they are side by side in  blind test.

Interesting, thanks

Just now, WereCat said:

No.

Frame to frame at 60Hz is 16.66ms and a jump to 144Hz is a 9.71ms improvement.

From 144Hz to 240Hz it's a 2.77ms improvement.

It is perceivable? Yes. If you can actually maintain that FPS you can benefit from it but it's not a massive difference and depending on how good screen you get, it may or may not be further negated by poor pixel response times.

My current config can easily push 300+ in esports titles, which I mainly play, which will only improve with a new gpu

Yeah for sure worth it for such games. Easy to drive and feels better. Also monitor have good price ranges too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

35 minutes ago, jaslion said:

There is  tiny difference but most people cant tell even if they are side by side in  blind test.

You can tell in overwatch but it isn't some massive difference. Most of the time you will notice the difference when doing fast movements and overwatch tends to have alot of that. You would be much less likely to notice in games that don't have alot of movement and especially ones that aren't in first person. At least this is the case in my experience. Valorant I can't tell the difference but you have me play tracer in overwatch and the difference is clearly noticeable when blinking around and doing alot of 180s. Also same deal for seeing fast moving enemies. Its noticeably easier to see genji and tracer moving around you at 240hz bs 144hz. Not a massive difference but you can feel it for sure. 

39 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can tell in overwatch but it isn't some massive difference. Most of the time you will notice the difference when doing fast movements and overwatch tends to have alot of that. You would be much less likely to notice in games that don't have alot of movement and especially ones that aren't in first person. At least this is the case in my experience. Valorant I can't tell the difference but you have me play tracer in overwatch and the difference is clearly noticeable when blinking around and doing alot of 180s. Also same deal for seeing fast moving enemies. Its noticeably easier to see genji and tracer moving around you at 240hz bs 144hz. Not a massive difference but you can feel it for sure. 

Oh I'm aware I have a 1440p 144 and 240hz screen on the same desk 😛

Barely a difference but there probably is one somewhat. I just enjoy my dell ultrasharp more since higher color accuracy 😛 instead of my gigabyte 240hz one.

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh I'm aware I have a 1440p 144 and 240hz screen on the same desk 😛

Barely a difference but there probably is one somewhat. I just enjoy my dell ultrasharp more since higher color accuracy 😛 instead of my gigabyte 240hz one.

Again depending on what you are doing the difference can be barely or pretty noticeable but not massive. Like for overwatch the difference is not something I would necessarily describe as barely. I mean if you are super into overwatch then the difference is definitely meaniful even though it isn't huge. Then again if you were that into overwatch you might opt for a 360 or even 540hz monitor at that point. 

15 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah for sure worth it for such games. Easy to drive and feels better. Also monitor have good price ranges too. 

My thoughts exactly

15 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can tell in overwatch but it isn't some massive difference. Most of the time you will notice the when doing fast movements and overwatch tends to have alot of that. You would be much less likely to notice in games that don't have alot of movement and especially ones that aren't in first person. At least this is the case in my experience. Valorant I can't tell the difference but you have me play tracer in overwatch and the difference is clearly noticeable when blinking around and doing alot of 180s. Also same deal for seeing fast moving enemies. Its noticeably easier to see genji and tracer moving around you at 240hz bs 144hz. Not a massive difference but you can feel it for sure. 

Yeah definitely, I do have a very speedy playstyle in shooters, I imagine I will see the difference.

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Again depending on what you are doing the difference can be barely or pretty noticeable but not massive. Like for overwatch the difference is not something I would necessarily describe as barely. I mean if you are super into overwatch then the difference is definitely meaniful even though it isn't huge. Then again if you were that into overwatch you might opt for a 360 or even 540hz monitor at that point. 

I would go for 360hz, but I think with a 4070 super and a 7600x, it would be nest suited for 1440p high refresh rate. 

5 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

I would go for 360hz, but I think with a 4070 super and a 7600x, it would be nest suited for 1440p high refresh rate. 

I usually pick monitors based on what I want and what I plan to play not my hardware. Obviously money is also a factor to keep in mind but I do find that people often times will limit their monitor purchase to what their system can use to the fullest 100% of the time which isn't realistic. I mean anyone who buys a 360hz 1440p monitor isn't realistically going to run it at 360 fps in all games at 1440p but the point is that if you need 360hz then you have it. Also most people keep monitors for quite a while so chances are that a monitor could last multiple system hardware upgrades that could potentially make further use of the monitor. 

39 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I usually pick monitors based on what I want and what I plan to play not my hardware. Obviously money is also a factor to keep in mind but I do find that people often times will limit their monitor purchase to what their system can use to the fullest 100% of the time which isn't realistic. I mean anyone who buys a 360hz 1440p monitor isn't realistically going to run it at 360 fps in all games at 1440p but the point is that if you need 360hz then you have it. Also most people keep monitors for quite a while so chances are that a monitor could last multiple system hardware upgrades that could potentially make further use of the monitor. 

Yeah I'll have to have a proper think about if I really need it