Should I buy a single SATA-6Pin or dual SATA-6Pin connector?

Hello. I need to use the 6 Pin connector for my GPU; however, the issue is that it’s a Micro-ATX power supply, and I don’t have the budget to buy a new one with a dedicated 6-pin connector. If I buy a SATA-6Pin connector, should I buy one with one or two sata connectors on it? I understand the risks involved with using one of these adapters (or their moles-6pin counterparts), but I don’t have the budget to buy a new PSU.

Edit: if I do buy a dual sata-6pin connector, can I plug one sata cable into one of the connectors to see if it works with just one sata cable rather than two?

Can you describe simply what to what you're trying to connect?

Are you trying to go from SATA power to the GPU? if so please do not do that, it does not work properly.

4 minutes ago, A Friendly ShyGuy said:

Hello. I need to use the 6 Pin connector for my GPU; however, the issue is that it’s a Micro-ATX power supply, and I don’t have the budget to buy a new one with a dedicated 6-pin connector. If I buy a SATA-6Pin connector, should I buy one with one or two sata connectors on it? I understand the risks involved with using one of these adapters (or their moles-6pin counterparts), but I don’t have the budget to buy a new PSU.

What PSU do you have? If it doesn't have a 6-pin, I'm hesitant to believe it's even up to the job to power a GPU. Just because you can adapt to PCI-e power doesn't mean it can power the device properly without blowing itself up.

Plus any of those Molex/SATA to P4/PCI-e Power adapters are known to be cheaply made and often catch on fire. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

DO NOT DO THIS.

Flat out this is how you kill your gpu and or psu. Sata is made to have AT MOST 54w drawn from it. That is the ENTIRE sata power cable. A 6 pin connector is made to draw up to 75w easily going over the limit.

What psu do you have?

I’m trying to connect a sata connector to the 6 pin connector on my GeForce GTX 650 using one of those rubbish converter cables. If I could find a cheaper (but still reliable PSU) or if I could add a cable to my current PSU I’d do that. The only problem is a can’t. I’d probably test it in a PC that’s already somewhat broken and dying before putting it in my new PC. I thought I could run the GPU off the 75w PCIe slot alone, but I can’t.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What PSU do you have? If it doesn't have a 6-pin, I'm hesitant to believe it's even up to the job to power a GPU. Just because you can adapt to PCI-e power doesn't mean it can power the device properly without blowing itself up.

Plus any of those Molex/SATA to P4/PCI-e Power adapters are known to be cheaply made and often catch on fire. 

I’m not sure what PSU exactly I have, but it is a 300w PSU that went to a Nixsys PC. I want to buy a 550w PSU from EVGA, but I don’t have the money to buy one.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

DO NOT DO THIS.

Flat out this is how you kill your gpu and or psu. Sata is made to have AT MOST 54w drawn from it. That is the ENTIRE sata power cable. A 6 pin connector is made to draw up to 75w easily going over the limit.

What psu do you have?

I don’t know what PSU I have exactly, but I do know it’s a 300w PSU to a Nixsys computer I have. I want to buy an EVGA PSU rated for 550w and that will have the 6 Pin cable; however, I don’t have the money to buy the PSU.

2 minutes ago, A Friendly ShyGuy said:

I’m not sure what PSU exactly I have, but it is a 300w PSU that went to a Nixsys PC. I want to buy a 550w PSU from EVGA, but I don’t have the money to buy one.

Yea no. Those PSUs Nixsys uses are meant for 90s/early 2000s systems that they sell. Not for modern power-hungry GPUs and CPUs. Just save up. You'll be better off in the long run rather than having to deal with a fire starter. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea no. Those PSUs Nixsys uses are meant for 90s/early 2000s systems that they sell. Not for modern power-hungry GPUs and CPUs. Just save up. You'll be better off in the long run rather than having to deal with a fire starter. 

This is the PSU I was looking to buy. Would this be any good for the GPU I’m using? My GPU is a GTX 650. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=123-GM-0550-Y1

We need to know the rest of your spec to be certain your other components take regular PSU cables

My PC specs overall are:

-CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 (8 CPUs) @3.4GHz

-GPU (Current) Intel HD Graphics 530

-RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz

-Drive: WD Standard 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache 6GB/s (SATA)

-DVD/CD RW Drive (SATA)

-300MB/s WiFi Antennas PCIe Adapter

-Ports: 4 USB-A 2.0, 4 USB-A 3.0, 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, 1xSerial, 1xParallel, 1xLAN/Ethernet, 3 Back Audio Ports, 2 Front Audio Ports

-Motherboard: H110M

If you need any other specs just let me know.

10 minutes ago, A Friendly ShyGuy said:

This is the PSU I was looking to buy. Would this be any good for the GPU I’m using? My GPU is a GTX 650. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=123-GM-0550-Y1

Sure it's a good psu but also a gtx650 is very very old and hasn't had driver support for years meaning a lot of games just don't work properly or at all on it.

Also a supernova gm 550 is like 90$ for that price you can get a msi AB650 AND a WAY better gpu like a rx470 with a bit o luck.

6 minutes ago, A Friendly ShyGuy said:

My PC specs overall are:

-CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 (8 CPUs) @3.4GHz

-GPU (Current) Intel HD Graphics 530

-RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz

-Drive: WD Standard 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache 6GB/s (SATA)

-DVD/CD RW Drive (SATA)

-300MB/s WiFi Antennas PCIe Adapter

-Ports: 4 USB-A 2.0, 4 USB-A 3.0, 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, 1xSerial, 1xParallel, 1xLAN/Ethernet, 3 Back Audio Ports, 2 Front Audio Ports

-Motherboard: H110M

If you need any other specs just let me know.

is that a Gigabyte H110M motherboard?

4 minutes ago, whispous said:

is that a Gigabyte H110M motherboard?

Yes.