Making my own business...

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

You'll be stuck in a tech support role for the rest of your life if you do. If there's any issue with their PC, they will blame it on you and ask you to fix it. So make sure this is what you want. Doing it for a friends and family is one thing...

So word got out I was building my friend's pc and now a ton of people are asking me to do theirs as well after I finish his... should I go with it and start charging instead of building for free (they don't know im doing my friends for free), or should I just say no? I'm nearing the end of college right now this is my last year. 

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

You'll be stuck in a tech support role for the rest of your life if you do. If there's any issue with their PC, they will blame it on you and ask you to fix it. So make sure this is what you want. Doing it for a friends and family is one thing...

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You'll be stuck in a tech support role for the rest of your life if you do. If there's any issue with their PC, they will blame it on you and ask you to fix it.

And if you don't, or problem persist.

They'll badmouth

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

You need to charge enough to make it worth your while if warranty jobs cost you more 😉

Never tell other people you can do computer stuff, because they’ll just come to you for any computer stuff.

”hey, you know about computers right? I’m having this problem where-“

I will end your entire bloodline if you can’t figure out how to open the groups category in outlook again, Susie 

15 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Never tell other people you can do computer stuff, because they’ll just come to you for any computer stuff.

I will end your entire bloodline if you can’t figure out how to open the groups category in outlook again, Susie 

💀 I mean it gets the point across

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

3 hours ago, 8tg said:

my tech support is much more simple

i get asked where the power button is on desktops

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

46 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

So word got out I was building my friend's pc and now a ton of people are asking me to do theirs as well after I finish his... should I go with it and start charging instead of building for free (they don't know im doing my friends for free), or should I just say no? I'm nearing the end of college right now this is my last year. 

Yes there is money to be made but since these are friends you are literally stuck with warranty for life

Idk if a couple hundred bucks is gonna be worth the time spent being tech support

i used to also want to make a pc buisness but market is pretty competitive so now ive just given up =p  maybe building others computers is something i can do but probs not with friends cause tech support for life does not sound very nice

Still the same small hardware sales that never exceed 100$ after 4 years, but 10-20$ and some leverage seem to be able to multiply money like mad on forex so thats what ill be putting my money into once i get good enough at preserving and managing small accounts so i dont keep blowing them up left and right

its high risk high reward but im barely investing anything so 10-50$ risk is tolerable if it means 100$+, pb so far on a demo is 3000$ -> 33000$ in 3 days with swing trading resistance (immideatly lost it after that due to bad predictions ;-;) but ill have to test my capabilities a few more times to determine if this is just a fluke or im actually half decent with a big account, and the aformentioned getting my shit together and being able to manage small accounts without blowing em up left and right =p

As im half competent at it this is a viable option for me with abit more training learning and experience but obviously not for everyone cause if you are bad then you will always lose that 10$ or however much you put in so just putting this as a disclaimer and a warning

Besides theres lots of other ways to make cash, just depends on which ones suit you best

Youll wanna take what you gain and what you sacrifice/risk into account

Building a pc for friends

Gain = few hundred bucks

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

56 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

And if you don't, or problem persist.

They'll badmouth

This is your sacrifice/risk in the form of friends, reputation, and your time (time >>> money)

For a few hundred bucks this is a hard pass for me even if thats a decent amount of money from my pov simply because good friends and reputation are worth alot more than just a few hundred bucks that wont even get you a house even if you tried, at best a used car

Same reason i dont bother lending money to friends, i straight up give money cause im not sacking a friendship over a few $ of debt

You are already about to go into the job market anyways and jobs also pay money, yes time is a sacrifice but thats a given and its usually not that variable nor does it exponentially increase over time like tech support where maybe for your 1 friend you wont mind spending a little bit of time to help him out but then you have 20 friends close or distant all asking you for tech support

with how computer illiterate some ppl can be that little bit of time is now a lot of time to the point that it might even surpass your job hours and you arent even being paid for the time you spend doing tech support but if you dont do tech support they start badmouthing you and bye bye goes your reputation and your friends, and that tech support is tiring aswell so bye bye goes your mental health too, you simply lose more than you gain here

Not everything is about buisness decisions and money, gotta factor in nonmaterial stuff like friends reputation and time and this is often far more important than money, itd be pretty miserable being a lonely millionare, sure you can buy whatever you want but you have no friends to talk to and basically no direction in life anymore

As for the forex trading shenanigans im doing thats a variable risk, variable risk here is your skill, if you are a skill issue then rip all your money, if you have some skill or can learn the skills then you have some chance to make money though there is a constant element of randomness here since this is trading but depends on the thing you are trading too

Normal jobs are mostly risk free afaik, stable income that should go up overtime to account for inflation and also promotions, time spent is usually somewhat fixed though depends on the job as some are more flexible than others but thats about all i know