Help with PSU choice

TalPal

I'm working on a build. 4080 super, 7800X3D. I was gonna go for the super flower Leadex VII XG 1000W 80+ Gold from Newegg for $220... However the Super Flower Leadex VII XG 1300W 80+ Gold, same exact PSU just higher wattage is on sale for $230 with a $30 promo code making the total about $200 which makes it cheaper than the 1000w one.

Should I go with the 1300w one or will the efficiency curve be better on the 1000w PSU.

Just now, Shimejii said:

Why are you choosing a 220$ PSU?

My build is white themed and the choices for white PSUs are very limited especially at the 1000w range

8 minutes ago, TalPal said:

Should I go with the 1300w one or will the efficiency curve be better on the 1000w PSU.

Assuming they haven't dramatically changed the components between them, then I doubt it will matter, but 1300 is pretty large, so it is possible that the PSU is different.

3 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Assuming they haven't dramatically changed the components between them, then I doubt it will matter, but 1300 is pretty large, so it is possible that the PSU is different.

From what I can tell, they're the same PSU just different wattages (meaning they're both the Leadex VII XG variant) probably different capacitors and whatnot to get the 1300w over the 1000w but with the discounts and stuff the 1300w one is significantly cheaper. is their any drawback to me going with the 1300w even though it's fairly overkill?

39 minutes ago, TalPal said:

My build is white themed and the choices for white PSUs are very limited especially at the 1000w range

are you actually going to be able to SEE the PSU? Or is it under a shroud/behind the mobo where you wont see it. If its front and no shroud https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vwHqqs/thermaltake-toughpower-gf-a3-snow-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-tpd-0850fnfagu-n

46 minutes ago, TalPal said:

The efficiency "curve" on a modern high end PSU can be modelled as two straight lines. An almost vertical line from ~0W load, up to ~90% efficiency at ~100W load. From there, it's a pretty much horizontal line up to 110% of the PSU's max load, meaning pretty much the same efficiency, no matter the load. 

Which is to say, ignore the efficiency, as well as anyone babbling on about mUh EfFiCiEnCy, as it's just a way for clueless people to pretend they have some useful advice for choosing PSUs. 

You can actually find data for the Leadex VII XG 1000W and 1300W on Cybenetics. The 4080 Super has a 320W TDP, so expect the PC to draw about 400W from the PSU under a gaming load. At that load, the 1000W variant was measured to be 91.9% efficient, while the 1300W was 92.5%. In terms of actual wattage, that means the 1000W PSU draws about 3W more than the 1300W PSU. It's a meaningless difference.  

Download the full report if you want to check the data for yourself. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=1,0,55

The only difference you might notice, is that the 1300W variant is able to stay passive for longer, while the 1000W might spin up it's fan while gaming. Depending on if the PSU has hysteresis for the fan control, as well as how it's implemented, you might also end up in a scenario where the fan constantly turns on and off every few minutes. Again, only if it does not have properly implemented hysteresis, which is not even certain. 

The only drawback of higher wattage PSUs, is if the brand cut corners on the protections, and omitted multi rail OCP on 12V. This is the case for the Leadex VII XG, meaning the 1300W PSU has the potential of causing more damage in the case of some types of failure. E.g. if a SATA SSD fails and has a resistive short, the 1300W PSU can push ~1750W straight into the SSD without shutting down, while the 1000W should shut down at "only" ~1400W. Same for any other component that fails in the same way, 1750W straight into the motherboard, GPU, CPU etc. A PSU with properly implemented multi rail OCP would shut down at far less, typically 200-500W. All of that might not make a difference, or it could stop a fire. 

:)

26 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The efficiency "curve" on a modern high end PSU can be modelled as two straight lines. An almost vertical line from ~0W load, up to ~90% efficiency at ~100W load. From there, it's a pretty much horizontal line up to 110% of the PSU's max load, meaning pretty much the same efficiency, no matter the load. 

Which is to say, ignore the efficiency, as well as anyone babbling on about mUh EfFiCiEnCy, as it's just a way for clueless people to pretend they have some useful advice for choosing PSUs. 

You can actually find data for the Leadex VII XG 1000W and 1300W on Cybenetics. The 4080 Super has a 320W TDP, so expect the PC to draw about 400W from the PSU under a gaming load. At that load, the 1000W variant was measured to be 91.9% efficient, while the 1300W was 92.5%. In terms of actual wattage, that means the 1000W PSU draws about 3W more than the 1300W PSU. It's a meaningless difference.  

Download the full report if you want to check the data for yourself. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=1,0,55

The only difference you might notice, is that the 1300W variant is able to stay passive for longer, while the 1000W might spin up it's fan while gaming. Depending on if the PSU has hysteresis for the fan control, as well as how it's implemented, you might also end up in a scenario where the fan constantly turns on and off every few minutes. Again, only if it does not have properly implemented hysteresis, which is not even certain. 

The only drawback of higher wattage PSUs, is if the brand cut corners on the protections, and omitted multi rail OCP on 12V. This is the case for the Leadex VII XG, meaning the 1300W PSU has the potential of causing more damage in the case of some types of failure. E.g. if a SATA SSD fails and has a resistive short, the 1300W PSU can push ~1750W straight into the SSD without shutting down, while the 1000W should shut down at "only" ~1400W. Same for any other component that fails in the same way, 1750W straight into the motherboard, GPU, CPU etc. A PSU with properly implemented multi rail OCP would shut down at far less, typically 200-500W. All of that might not make a difference, or it could stop a fire. 

I thought the Leadex VII had OTP though? It's on the A tier list on the cultists PSU tier list

But regardless, if I'm understanding you correctly, going with the 1300w if it's cheaper won't be a problem then?

Just now, TalPal said:

I thought the Leadex VII had OTP though? It's on the A tier list on the cultists PSU tier list

OTP is over temperature protection. It has that protection. Multi rail OCP on 12V is a completely separate protection. 

Ignore any PSU tier list, just look up information about the PSUs you're looking for, at the loads that are relevant for you. A PSU tier list does not care that your system is going to draw 400W under load or the relative prices of PSUs. Those are things you can easily find information about, and that matter more to you than an arbitrary rating on a tier list. 

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

OTP is over temperature protection. It has that protection. Multi rail OCP on 12V is a completely separate protection. 

Ignore any PSU tier list, just look up information about the PSUs you're looking for, at the loads that are relevant for you. A PSU tier list does not care that your system is going to draw 400W under load or the relative prices of PSUs. Those are things you can easily find information about, and that matter more to you than an arbitrary rating on a tier list. 

Oops l, I meant OCP not OTP, my bad 😂

Anyways, would you ultimately recommend the 1000w or 1300w then. I'm not expecting much issues as I'll also be getting a good battery backup for my system as well. I'm leaning towards the 1300w one since it is cheaper.

For all the other components, I can figure out what's best and such, it's just with PSUs I'm kinda all left feet so to speak. I got "higher wattage means you can draw more power" and "higher 80+ rating is better" 🤣 I could honestly decipher binary more easily than I could understand the technical side of PSUs 😜

10 minutes ago, TalPal said:

Oops l, I meant OCP not OTP, my bad 😂

It lacks multi rail OCP. You can see this by looking at the output table for the PSU. 

Spoiler

IMG_20240223_004842.thumb.jpg.86aba56b9481c503ce4a4e41770f2f75.jpg

There is only one column for 12V. That means that any device using 12V can pull the full capacity of the 12V rail (+ an additional ~40%, as the protection is always set higher than the max capacity of the rail). 

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-02-23-00-54-29-57_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg.22cf7dae3e7c5bea9607e5c1eb4de40c.jpg

A PSU with multi rail OCP on 12V will have several columns for 12V, showing the max output per rail. Typically, each rail has 1-2 connectors, meaning that's the max capacity a cable can pull (again with ~+40% before the protection triggers). 

19 minutes ago, TalPal said:

Anyways, would you ultimately recommend the 1000w or 1300w then. I'm not expecting much issues as I'll also be getting a good battery backup for my system as well. I'm leaning towards the 1300w one since it is cheaper.

If the only two options are available, probably the 1300W. Although I would suggest looking for 750-850W PSUs, as those should be significantly cheaper, allowing you to spend that money elsewhere more meaningful. E.g. a higher end SSD, quieter cooling, sleeves cables, etc. 

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Although I would suggest looking for 750-850W PSUs, as those should be significantly cheaper, allowing you to spend that money elsewhere more meaningful. E.g. a higher end SSD, quieter cooling, sleeves cables, etc. 

Would an 850w PSU be plenty for my build with enough headroom for potential upgrades later on? My ultimate goal is to keep the PSU as long as possible throughout future builds and I know super flower makes quality PSUs and they have their PSUs available in white which is my theme I'm going for, and yes the PSU will be visible so a black one would just look out of place