Does this PSU come with molex?

TurkishBTW
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

That power supply has 4x "Molex" (Peripheral) connectors.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/power-supply-units/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-450b/techspec/

Cable Connectors
MB 24/20-pin x1
CPU 4+4-pin x1
PCI-E 6+2-pin x2
SATA x5
Periplheral x4

24 minutes ago, TurkishBTW said:

Also what is the recommended amount of case fans that can be linked onto one Molex.

That depends on how much power the fans draw. Fans will typically have their power draw printed on the label on the fan like "0.5A @ 12V". Multiply amps by voltes to get wattage (0.5A x 12V = 6W). I can't remember off the top of my head what the connector is rated for, but I probably wouldn't want to exceed more than 40W per connector.

Are your fans using a molex (4pin peripheral) connector? A lot of fans these days are using the 3/4pin motherboard connectors or with a fan hub. Fans using molex connectors powered directly from the power supply will run at full speed all the time.

A candle comes with wax….

in fact when u get to High end PSUs, they include cables that WILL ONLY WORK will that model

i have 4, the Corsair only works with, duh, it’s own cables. The other 3?  Nothing - won’t even turn on without the correct cable to the wall!   2 of three are 1000w seasonics, and no the cables don’t work if I swap for the “game max”, my remaining PSU

Just now, Cramig88 said:

A candle comes with wax….

in fact when u get to High end PSUs, they include cables that WILL ONLY WORK will that model

i have 4, the Corsair only works with, duh, it’s own cables. The other 3?  Nothing - won’t even turn on without the correct cable to the wall!   2 of three are 1000w seasonics, and no the cables don’t work if I swap for the “game max”, my remaining PSU

The Corsair also has custom uh fittings at the psu end so it will not even be used with any other psu

its 1500w

That power supply has 4x "Molex" (Peripheral) connectors.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/power-supply-units/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-450b/techspec/

Cable Connectors
MB 24/20-pin x1
CPU 4+4-pin x1
PCI-E 6+2-pin x2
SATA x5
Periplheral x4

24 minutes ago, TurkishBTW said:

Also what is the recommended amount of case fans that can be linked onto one Molex.

That depends on how much power the fans draw. Fans will typically have their power draw printed on the label on the fan like "0.5A @ 12V". Multiply amps by voltes to get wattage (0.5A x 12V = 6W). I can't remember off the top of my head what the connector is rated for, but I probably wouldn't want to exceed more than 40W per connector.

Are your fans using a molex (4pin peripheral) connector? A lot of fans these days are using the 3/4pin motherboard connectors or with a fan hub. Fans using molex connectors powered directly from the power supply will run at full speed all the time.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Individual molex connectors are rated for 5A ( 5A x 12v = 60w) but one should not connect so many things as to reach the maximum ... for safety staying below ~ 4A (50w) should be best.  SATA connectors are rated for 4.5A but again, for safety I wouldn't use one for more than 4A.

If there's multiple connectors on a cable/chain going to the power supply, overall the maximum power will be limited by the single 12v wire shared by all connectors on the chain of connectors and the connector on the power supply (if any).

A typical AWG18 wire used in power supplies will be good for up to 10-13A continuously , and if the power supply is modular the connector on the power supply is good for around 10A.

Basically, you can't have a cable with 4 molex connectors going to power supply and connect 50w worth of things on each molex connector on the cable... you'll have to spread at most around 100-120 watts on the 4 molex connectors.

A fan will consume as much as it says on its label (multiply volts (v) with current (A) to get watts) .  Note like any motor, fans consume a bit more power when the start spinning, for a few seconds... for example a 4w fan may consume 8-10w for a few seconds.  But the connectors and cables can handle these short bursts of a few seconds