So this will void your warranty on a 4090

So I build computers for a living and run into defective hardware all the time.

But this time ASUS is really pissing me off.

The GPU is defective, 2 days old.  Didn't make it passed my testing.

Go to remove the card and the power cable latch bump comes off.

"VOID, Client Induced Damage"

ITS A NIB OF PLASTIC!! FFS

Screenshot 2024-02-20 160337.png

Asus customer service / RMA department doesn't have a great reputation. Probably depends on your country and how much you want to fight it.

However, if it's 2 days old, it's likely easier to just swap that out now with the vendor where to purchased that. (As bad as that is to say) Most places like Amazon and basically ask no questions. 

We are the vendor, the supplier denied us first.

It's up to my RMA department to deal with it.  Just figured I would share the stupidity.

12 minutes ago, Enzo.Matrix said:

We are the vendor, the supplier denied us first.

It's up to my RMA department to deal with it.  Just figured I would share the stupidity.

We'll that sucks, then yeah looks like replacing the connector is the next best course of action. 

As much as it does suck, it is user damage and ASUS will do anything to get out of having to warranty expensive products. See if your supplier will take the card back and let you exchange it for another one or get a refund. Just a fair warning if they see the user damage, or you mention it prior to returning they'll likely void the return/replacement as well. 

I'm also a computer shop owner and build/repair computers for a living. 9/10 times most companies will not RMA or warranty a product if there is any indication of user error. Since it's physically damaged it's a no brainer for them. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

This really winds me up, it shouldn't matter if there is user damage if its clearly not the cause of the problem.

Bearing in mind the latch coming off should be a reason for an RMA in itself as its clearly a manufacturing defect.

These new connectors are a joke, I have a 4070 Ti I physically cannot remove the cable because the latch is on the other side with the heatsink in the way.  I'd need a toddler with fingers small enough to reach it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

As much as it does suck, it is user damage and ASUS will do anything to get out of having to warranty expensive products. See if your supplier will take the card back and let you exchange it for another one or get a refund. Just a fair warning if they see the user damage, or you mention it prior to returning they'll likely void the return/replacement as well. 

I'm also a computer shop owner and build/repair computers for a living. 9/10 times most companies will not RMA or warranty a product if there is any indication of user error. Since it's physically damaged it's a no brainer for them. 

basically if you buy a car and the door falls off, its "user induced damage" cause its obviously your fault to open the door?

yeah, field day for any lawyer worth their salt. 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Bearing in mind the latch coming off should be a reason for an RMA in itself as its clearly a manufacturing defect.

precisely,  i don't even get how's that a question lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

basically if you buy a car and the door falls off, its "user induced damage" cause its obviously your fault to open the door?

yeah, field day for any lawyer worth their salt. 😉

Right, that's my point, I'm not agreeing with the companies, I think it's shitty. But, it's just they way they do things. Some companies are worse than others. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I have to wait for the owner of my company to talk with ASUS before I can give an update of our actions.

To me its so dumb, the card is BAD. The MFG with have to take it apart to repair it anyway..  so just charge us for the port repair...

But, ya.  I will update when I get the details.

To me it looks like someone did not push the latch first before pulling the plug out. I would probably deny it too unfortunately.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 2/22/2024 at 7:21 AM, freeagent said:

To me it looks like someone did not push the latch first before pulling the plug out. I would probably deny it too unfortunately.

It would be near impossible to shear off the plastic from just pulling the connector, unless you are the hulk. In my mind, this is an indication of an imperfection in the plastic mould.

• 2 months later...

Update:

After tons of negotiations and climbing up the chain...  Best they will do is $1300+tax and they will swap it with a new one.

Very disappointing as again, the card is defective. But because of a little plastic tab (which would be replaced anyway if they even do try to repair it) they put up a huge fight.

1 hour ago, Enzo.Matrix said:

Update:

After tons of negotiations and climbing up the chain...  Best they will do is $1300+tax and they will swap it with a new one.

Very disappointing as again, the card is defective. But because of a little plastic tab (which would be replaced anyway if they even do try to repair it) they put up a huge fight.

How much did you pay for the card originally?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

16 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How much did you pay for the card originally?

I cant reveal our cost, but retail is 2849.99 CDN