Can i use Laptop Harddrive on desktop PC?

Blazepoint5
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
2 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

I dont know its size but look at it. I checked and usb 2.0 are crapy slow and there is a high chance of disconnection so i would use sata on it instead 

-snip-

Here is the crap hdd on the pc though: 

-snip-

Oh nice, that looks like a standard 2.5” SATA HDD. No difference vs a 3.5” drive other than the size, they both work the same. I’d plug it in and run your speed tests again, if it’s faster over SATA and the SMART data doesn’t say it’s about to fail, clone over your main HDD (on Windows I use Macrium Reflect to do this) or take this as an excuse to do a clean install, gets everything freshened up. If you’re using an activated copy of windows, make sure you have your key either written down somewhere or linked to your MS account if you use one (mine is linked to my MS account), before you do a clean install. 

Alright on my pc there is a harddrive, its does big once and it runs like crap it has 5500rpm and when on load takes has 600ms latency sometimes but.. i have a laptop hdd its in an external case with a usb ... it has 7500rpm and under load has around 7 to 10ms of latency 

I want to swap that piece of crap out of my pc and use the laptop hdd, i can get a laptop hdd for the pc that runs fatser, has less latency issues and maybe i might have a slide boottime boost and some games won't struggle more to load the map. 

If im extracting something on the pc i.e a games and im playing a game at the same time!! Its crap, the game takes centuries to load and the map takes really long to load that if i drive fast enough i can see the void. 

And i know you might say i should get an ssd ... well it is cheap in alot or some countries but where im from it is not, thats why im here. 

Usb hard drives are vulnerable to disconnection and speed since i dont have USB 3 but still it is way faster than that brick crap seating in my pc wasting my time, i might be missing something but let me know.

What external case is it? If it's a standard 2.5" HDD in an external housing, you can just pull the drive and use it in your PC, most cases have 2.5" drive mounts for this purpose. If it's a newer sealed unit from seagate/wd or similar, on some of the new ones they've resorted to soldering the USB connector directly onto the HDD - replacing the standard SATA connectors - so there would be no point in shucking it (cracking the plastic case off so you can use the drive like a normal one).

If you're asking whether you can simply use it as a USB drive and run programs off it.... yeah. Should have no issues doing that, so long as the USB drive doesn't get bumped loose like you mentioned. If you want to run your OS off of it, it may actually end up worse as you might hit USB bandwidth limits, would have to try it and see I guess. Would depend on what OS and what you're doing. I've had no issues booting off HDDs over USB to test if a drive clone worked before swapping it in to the machine, but I never tried to actually run a bunch of programs, just verified the drive was properly duplicated then shut it down.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

23 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

What external case is it? If it's a standard 2.5" HDD in an external housing, you can just pull the drive and use it in your PC, most cases have 2.5" drive mounts for this purpose. If it's a newer sealed unit from seagate/wd or similar, on some of the new ones they've resorted to soldering the USB connector directly onto the HDD - replacing the standard SATA connectors - so there would be no point in shucking it (cracking the plastic case off so you can use the drive like a normal one).

If you're asking whether you can simply use it as a USB drive and run programs off it.... yeah. Should have no issues doing that, so long as the USB drive doesn't get bumped loose like you mentioned. If you want to run your OS off of it, it may actually end up worse as you might hit USB bandwidth limits, would have to try it and see I guess. Would depend on what OS and what you're doing. I've had no issues booting off HDDs over USB to test if a drive clone worked before swapping it in to the machine, but I never tried to actually run a bunch of programs, just verified the drive was properly duplicated then shut it down.

I dont know its size but look at it. I checked and usb 2.0 are crapy slow and there is a high chance of disconnection so i would use sata on it instead 

20240220_080201.jpg

20240220_080412.jpg

7 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Yes just plug it in

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

-snip-

-snip-

Oh nice, that looks like a standard 2.5” SATA HDD. No difference vs a 3.5” drive other than the size, they both work the same. I’d plug it in and run your speed tests again, if it’s faster over SATA and the SMART data doesn’t say it’s about to fail, clone over your main HDD (on Windows I use Macrium Reflect to do this) or take this as an excuse to do a clean install, gets everything freshened up. If you’re using an activated copy of windows, make sure you have your key either written down somewhere or linked to your MS account if you use one (mine is linked to my MS account), before you do a clean install. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, intelamdallthemisnice said:

Yes, just put it anywhere  and connect it. It will work fine.

Alright boss thanks 

17 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Makes sense, a fresh install would be better! Thank you random citizen.

19 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes just plug it in

Okey buddy, 🤝 thank you.