AMD RX 6750 XT and Adrenalin "driver timeout" crashes

Hi there techies,

I've experienced a weird AMD bug recently, and I wonder if it's only AMD-related.

Randomly, when playing a game or just using some softwares, the whole app crashes, and an AMD Adrenalin error window opens saying "AMD Driver timeout" ... reporting error - blah blah "send us information". The window shuts down (in the case of a game-crash) or just stays here while covered by a black square (see below in "effects").

I've been troubleshooting that for a couple of days.

* I disabled some options on Adrenalin (didn't fix anything). I didn't go to far on game tweaking for it happened on other apps as well.

* My system is up to date (Win11 x64)

* AMD Adrenalin is up to date

I don't know if this may be a driver issue or a simple AMD Adrenalin issue (I'd like to find a better option to manage my drivers, though - maybe one that allows to manage all the drivers and download them? Don't hesitate to give me sont hints about that as well). 

On their last release notes (here), AMD said that some timeouts may be experienced on Helldivers 2 (a "patch", yes), but I didn't play this game, only Lysfanga (not the most resource-intensive game atm). Related, maybe?

On the other hand, the last time this bug occurred, no game nor fullscreen app was running (only good'ol chrome and git bash). 

I'll continue troubleshooting this and will try to look more closely on power usage and error reports, but it seems that AMD Adrenalin is just a bug-nest I should get rid of...

Did anyone experienced this recently?

Effect

It makes the game, or any software the bug interacts with, crash (game freezes - the screen blinks with black briefly - then crash and return to windows with the AMD Adrenalin error report window opened).

More: it makes the windows file explorer crash as well (rebooting the process via task manager solves the issue).

In rare cases (when it occurred on Git Bash, god knows why), it creates a black blank square atop of the window that closes when the application is shut down but somehow, this space becomes interaction-proof: I can't click anything on any app while it's within the bounds of the square (even though the square is not there anymore). 

Thanks for reading, don't hesitate to ask for additional info - I'll keep the thread up to date with newer discoveries.

BUILD

* CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-core processor

* GPU: MSI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12go

* MB: ASUS Prime B-650 plus

* RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32gb (2*16) 7000MHz CL40 Intel XMP

* STORAGE: M.2 CRUCIAL P3 plus 2To

* POWER: GIGABYTE P750GM 750w

* SOFT: AMD Adrenalin version: 24.1.1

Edited by Horkos
typos

8 minutes ago, Horkos said:

Did anyone experienced this recently?

I have the same GPU. No issues on my side with the current driver.

I would suggest running DDU and reinstalling fresh drivers to see if that helps. Don't forget to disable windows update's automatic driver install, too. (DDU has the option for this)

If that doesn't help, there's a possibility the GPU is faulty. But lets not jump to conclusion and explore other troubleshooting path first. Like the last troubleshooting step which is doing a clean re-install of windows 11 using the ISO, RUFUS and a USB flash drive. Would highly recommend simply backing up the entire OS with your software of choice and if a reinstall didn't work, just restore everything. Or if you have another drive you can install windows on, unplug your current OS drive and keep it to the side while testing things out with the other drive on a clean install of windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Do you run any overclock or undervolt? I get these kind of crashes only when I have instability. 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Do you run any overclock or undervolt? I get these kind of crashes only when I have instability. 

No, I don't have anything changed from the default GPU params, it's a rather fresh install from a windows installed like a month ago...

@TetraSky I'll try to do a fresh driver install and check if it changes anything... (gosh I really don't want to install a new windows and redo all of my software setup but hey, we gotta do what we gotta do...)

17 minutes ago, Horkos said:

(gosh I really don't want to install a new windows and redo all of my software setup but hey, we gotta do what we gotta do...)

That's why I also suggesting doing an OS backup with whatever software you prefer. By it Acronis, Veeam, Macrium, etc etc etc.

Or if you have a secondary drive you could empty, to use it to install windows and see if it works.

That way if it still happens, you can be back up and running to where to were a lot quicker.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro