Different topic then usual but, as a seller, selling a PS5, does this woman look like a scammer

robotxbot
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,

Anytime anyone offers any payment method that does not hit your account while you're standing there, run the fuck away. Instant transfer can work instead of cash, but something taking 2 hours is a heeeeeellll no. $380 real dollars is better than $500 maybe dollars IMO.

This is off topic, but does she look like a scammer? I’m selling a PlayStation 5 with a cracked outer shell for the hdmi port. This lady hmu for 380, and I’m like yea, and the next day i get another lady wanting to buy it and she offered 500. I’m debating whether she is just stupid or not but apparently my console “comes with everything”. She then talks about cash app “wire transfers” and that it’ll take like 3 hours for me to get it. She then says she doesn’t have cash. She seems really stupid but seems like a scammer at the same time. Her grammar is pretty bad so she isn’t from the US. I’m just wondering if this “cash app wire transfer system” is a scam or not. Cash app is usually pretty safe so I’m wondering if she’s doing like a refund thing.(sorry for possible bad grammar, I’m typing this on a phone”

IMG_2322.png

IMG_2323.png

IMG_2324.png

IMG_2325.png

6 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

This is off topic, but does she look like a scammer?

Yes, it seems like a scam.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Anytime anyone offers any payment method that does not hit your account while you're standing there, run the fuck away. Instant transfer can work instead of cash, but something taking 2 hours is a heeeeeellll no. $380 real dollars is better than $500 maybe dollars IMO.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Run, walk, block. Dont agree to the exchange.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

But dude, you already asked her if it was a scam and she said no. What more do you need?

No but seriously, be very careful with people who want to pay through methods where you don't get the money at the same time as you give them the item.

"Give me the item now and you'll get the money later" is usually a very bad idea.

Also, the reason why she keep mentioning her ID is because it is suppose to make you trust her. Like "I am a real person and you got my name and everything", but a lot of times scammers just don't care if you call them out. Police reports for those sums of money might not lead anywhere, and the scammer might not have anything of value to take anyway. They turn around, sell the console and then spend the money right away. Even if you file a police report the legal process would cost more than the sum that was taken, and even if they proceeded with the case they might just find someone who has nothing of value and is already in serious debt so they can't even get any money out of her.

"I don't want to tarnish my name and you could report me to the police" is something a honest person with something to lose would think. There is no guarantee that the person you are talking to have anything to lose, or cares if you report them to the police.

If you want to sell the PS5 to her then I would insist on cash or some other payment method that results in you getting the money as you give her the PS5. You could even suggest that you meet up at her bank so that she can take money out of her account with you being there.

1. In this day and age, there's a lot of way to give just that much money near instantly, which can easily be checked through phone or something.

2. If it's a person who hates/unsavvy of technology, cash is always an option. All they have to do before the exchange is go to the nearest ATM.

3. Hell, if they don't feel secure carrying that much money can always go to nearest ATM with security guard around after meeting the seller. If it's me and my country, I might even opt to meet at nearest bank branch. 😛

3 hours wire transfer for $500 ? The buyer is at other country or something ? <_>

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

16 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

My rule for buying and selling used stuff: In person? Cash only.

And if it's really expensive, go to the bank with them and watch the money come from a teller to avoid fake money.

I sold a Red camera once.

If a deal is weird, expect all the rest that comes with such which will probrably be bad towards you.

Clearly a scam going on with it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

how does someone not have a bank card in this day and age...

Obvious scam is obvious. If you're meeting in person, there's literally zero reason why they couldn't pay with cash.

If they refuse to pay cash, it's because it is a scam.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You arrive to the scene and get greeted by 5 gang members that beat you up and take the console and your pants.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

how does someone not have a bank card in this day and age...

Guess I'm a scammer too, fuck. I wasn't expecting those news on a day like this. Ah, it is what it is.

For real though, no cash no deal.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Guess I'm a scammer too, fuck. I wasn't expecting those news on a day like this. Ah, it is what it is.

For real though, no cash no deal.

Hahaha. It is what it is indeed.

Did you reset your account? Pretty sure you had more than 25 posts before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro