Can I use my old sata sdd into my new build?

Pokqezz
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, Pokqezz said:

If I stick my old one into my new one will it just boot up regularly

Usually yes, though depending on how different the system is you might need to reinstall Windows. Windows 10/11 has gotten pretty good about detecting hardware changes and just working when you move a Windows install between systems, but it's still not perfect and there's plenty of times when it will give issues, especially when say switching from Intel to AMD or vice versa. 

6 minutes ago, Pokqezz said:

do I need to do some stuff on the SSD or do I buy a new SSD?

You might need to reinstall Windows, but you shouldn't need to buy a new SSD. 

I'm coming here because I need some help, So I am considering building/Upgrading my old computer. (it's basically going to be a new computer after I'm just resuing some old parts) But I don't really wanna buy a new SSD since all my stuff is on this SSD, If I stick my old one into my new one will it just boot up regularly or do I need to do some stuff on the SSD or do I buy a new SSD?

You can reuse it. For the most part you can just reinstall it and boot it up. If you are switching platforms (Intel to AMD, or Nvidia to AMD) it would be better if you uninstalled drivers first. It will likely work fine without doing anything though.

That being said, it is always better when building a new machine to do a fresh install. This prevents weird issues from popping up. In my opinion, new build, means fresh install.

3 minutes ago, Pokqezz said:

If I stick my old one into my new one will it just boot up regularly

Usually yes, though depending on how different the system is you might need to reinstall Windows. Windows 10/11 has gotten pretty good about detecting hardware changes and just working when you move a Windows install between systems, but it's still not perfect and there's plenty of times when it will give issues, especially when say switching from Intel to AMD or vice versa. 

6 minutes ago, Pokqezz said:

do I need to do some stuff on the SSD or do I buy a new SSD?

You might need to reinstall Windows, but you shouldn't need to buy a new SSD. 

42 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

You can reuse it. For the most part you can just reinstall it and boot it up. If you are switching platforms (Intel to AMD, or Nvidia to AMD) it would be better if you uninstalled drivers first. It will likely work fine without doing anything though.

That being said, it is always better when building a new machine to do a fresh install. This prevents weird issues from popping up. In my opinion, new build, means fresh install.

Sounds good. Im just moving from nvidia gpu to amd 

1 minute ago, Pokqezz said:

Sounds good. Im just moving from nvidia gpu to amd 

ddu the nvidia drivers first before doing the swap then if pc boots (fingers crossed, eh) with the amd gpu install the amd drivers.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

46 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

In my opinion, new build, means fresh install.

this is true if someone doesn't know how it works, you really just need to remove the corresponding drivers (usually chipset / gpu) first, then there likely shouldn't be issues! 

(still using my 2017 windows 10 install after a gazillion of "upgrades"... there are no major issues with it... just the usual "well windows sucks" stuff 😅)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity