Sam Altman seeking 5-7 TRILLION in backing for Open AI CPU Creation

tkitch
29 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

I agree with Mark Kaine. It's not that simple. There are many examples of games out there that seem to have equal fidelity, if not more than others, and can have vastly smaller file sizes. Games have released patches that drastically reduce install size after the fact, etc etc. It can depend on a lot of factors. There's no good reason that Warzone needs to be as big as it is, for example, as far as I'm concerned.

My point isn't that games couldn't be smaller while still looking good - my point is it has nothing to do with programming.

Let me show you. Take, for example, DOOM 2016, a 70gb game:

image.png.47088b808460fc7734e1a6333529188d.png

image.png.ab64e0ab67b7897afbeafb4a0f48c51d.png

Almost all of it is accounted for by textures, models, video and sound. The executables and DLLs are only a few hundred kb each. Take any modern game and the same will apply. No matter how big and poorly made your program is, producing an executable that is more than a gig is a challenge in its own right.

-edit-

unless of course you package the assets inside the executable, but you get my point

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 hours ago, Sauron said:

My point isn't that games couldn't be smaller while still looking good - my point is it has nothing to do with programming.

Of course, I wasn't trying to suggest it's about the way it's coded per se. But there's obviously more to the overall package then the specific lines of code. I'm not going to be able to speak to it well because admittedly I'm not a programmer or game designer. I just know that when after a year, I've seen a game release a patch that can reduce install size by large amounts, there's often some sort of efficiencies to be made somewhere.

It may often just be a matter of compression, but I suspect there are other things that can be done as well. Even if the answer is always compression, I'd still say that there are many games not using compression effectively (or at all) then. I don't, however, see why the default stance needs to be that because a game is 100GB, that it absolutely must be. (Edit: And by this, I don't mean "and still look good". I mean, while still looking identical)

Devs can be very good,  very mediocre, and very bad at all aspects of creating a game. Surely reigning in file size is one of them.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:27 PM, leadeater said:

Nah, bad press and a few problems isn't going to make them go anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Defense,_Space_%26_Security

They will be more the fineeeeeee

Those aren't very good examples. Those are end product companies with products and technologies easily replaced. Fabricators are like Banks, Pharmaceutical and Food/Agriculture companies, essential foundational companies that are on the list of the oldest. While fabricators are "new" I don't see computer driven society going anywhere so as long as we need to "compute stuff" then TSMC etc will continue to exist.

TSMC will continue to exist while there is a demand for product that can be made with their lithography infrastructure.   But any business can be caught out setting up to produce a product that becomes obsolete long before the cap ex has been recouped.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

TSMC will continue to exist while there is a demand for product that can be made with their lithography infrastructure.   But any business can be caught out setting up to produce a product that becomes obsolete long before the cap ex has been recouped.  

What makes you think TSMC etc can't invest in the new technology? The majority of fabrication is in the building and supporting infrastructure like clean atmosphere, clean water, large power delivery. All the things required for a different material not silicon.

Like I said old fab technology is never useless or unprofitable overnight, they still have 800nm fabrication, yea 800nm. TSMC make more wafer per month 20nm and up than they do below 20nm.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What makes you think TSMC etc can't invest in the new technology? The majority of fabrication is in the building and supporting infrastructure like clean atmosphere, clean water, large power delivery. All the things required for a different material not silicon.

Like I said old fab technology is never useless or unprofitable overnight, they still have 800nm fabrication, yea 800nm. TSMC make more wafer per month 20nm and up than they do below 20nm.

I never said TSMC can't invest.  I said it would be a shame if a new company invested the GDP of a large country only to have that investment obsoleted long before it paid for itself.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I never said TSMC can't invest.  I said it would be a shame if a new company invested the GDP of a large country only to have that investment obsoleted long before it paid for itself.

The odds of it actually being obsolete and also not recouping the investment is extraordinarily low though. Fab equipment won't even be going in 5 years from now either, I have no idea what their planned time frames are but I've seen enough large buildings get built of far less complexity and requirements to know ain't nothing happening for ages.

On 2/15/2024 at 9:18 PM, leadeater said:

The odds of it actually being obsolete and also not recouping the investment is extraordinarily low though. Fab equipment won't even be going in 5 years from now either, I have no idea what their planned time frames are but I've seen enough large buildings get built of far less complexity and requirements to know ain't nothing happening for ages.

I've seen it too, I've built those factories as well.  Most of the time it's because the companies expending the capital are not big enough to weather all the issues that inevitably occur on the way and they stumble or they are so big that they can afford to change plans mid exercise and just sit on the project.  I seem to recall Intel did that with fab42,  they started building and planning then shelved it,  then started again.  And to be honest I don't even know if they finally moved in any equipment in the end.

BHP has done it twice at Olympic damn as well.   but don't get me started on that (single largest Uranium deposit in the world and nuclear is not viable/feasible in Australia???? WTF to that) 

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

but don't get me started on that (single largest Uranium deposit in the world and nuclear is not viable/feasible in Australia???? WTF to that)

Probably for the same reasons the US isn't reprocessing nuclear waste into fuel.

It has nothing to do with economics. In some ways, the same applies to the semiconducting industry with regards to the need (perceived or otherwise) to diversify the global supply.

Oh, and "jobs". 

On 2/9/2024 at 3:17 PM, manikyath said:

- spacex developing starship, estimating they double their original budget at 20billion

- NASA copying SpaceX's homework and making a falcon bureaucracy edition.

is it bad that I would still rather be on the nasa rocket?

1 minute ago, SimplyChunk said:

I wouldn't mind a tenner for lunch tomorrow

Now that's too expensive. 

90% Dunce, 91% Smooth Brain. Chirstmas Gumpdrops.