No Monitor Mode on a Thousand Dollar TV?

TechTipCollector

I bought the Samsung QN90C 43" TV today to use as my primary monitor. As far as I can tell, there is no way to make this TV turn on and off in sync with my PC's display output. Am I mistaken? People rave about how good Samsung TVs are to use as monitors, but my experience has been anything but seamless.

are there computer monitors that turn on and off with input? forget about a tv. My monitors go into 'sleep' where the backlight turns off, but they certainly are still powered on

Just now, matt0725 said:

are there computer monitors that turn on and off with input? forget about a tv. My monitors go into 'sleep' where the backlight turns off, but they certainly are still powered on

Right, I mean sleep. My TV displays a screen with a message about the missing input, but I wish it would just go into standby mode.

2 minutes ago, TechTipCollector said:

Right, I mean sleep. My TV displays a screen with a message about the missing input, but I wish it would just go into standby mode.

OH. that is kinda dumb then. i was honestly like what have i been missing out on here?

2 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

OH. that is kinda dumb then. i was honestly like what have i been missing out on here?

Yeah. I know there's a workaround that can be done using a powerstrip with a master outlet, but I'm really disappointed that the display can't behave like a computer monitor does.

37 minutes ago, TechTipCollector said:

TV's don't have this feature, never have. This is known thing going into using a TV as a monitor, keep your remote handy. I use an LG C2 and by default there is no sleep as its a TV. There is 3rd party software you can run that can hook into the TV over the network connection (smart TV and all) and trigger on/off commands but again, by default this isn't a thing and should not be a surprise. 

It's a common complaint with TV's used as a monitor.

And the available 3rd party solutions are one of the reasons why LG is a favoured TV brand for monitor use.

Depending on your TV's support for WiFi control, the app Color Control might also work with your TV. Setup probably won't be as straight forward as with the intended LG models though. These implementations aren't completely without their issues, even on LG TVs.

A TV and a monitor offer different functionality for different use cases. So if you want to use a TV as a monitor, you should at least do some research on what compromises this "misuse" comes with.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.