Power Supply CPU connectors

freezerdragon

Hi;

I have a 700 Watt PSU and I want to buy a new CPU and Motherboard. PSU power is enough but I have just 4X2=8 Pin for CPU power with my current PSU but the new motherboard has 8+4 Pin for CPU power so is it a must to connect 4 pin or it is optional? the CPU that I will prefer is Intel Core i5 13400 Socket 1700.

Thanks.

You only need the single 8 pin for the CPU. The second 4 pin is optional and mostly for stability with higher end overclocks. If you're just getting a 13400 then there is zero need for the second 4pin.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, freezerdragon said:

Hi;

I have a 700 Watt PSU and I want to buy a new CPU and Motherboard. PSU power is enough but I have just 4X2=8 Pin for CPU power with my current PSU but the new motherboard has 8+4 Pin for CPU power so is it a must to connect 4 pin or it is optional? the CPU that I will prefer is Intel Core i5 13400 Socket 1700.

Thanks.

You only need the 8pin connected, it can supply 226w of continous power and the 13400 draws no where near that.

You are good to go 🙂

Thanks for the answer " there is zero need for the second 4pin. " even I use this CPU at its maximum speed at 4.60 GHz. Is that true?

4 minutes ago, freezerdragon said:

Thanks for the answer " there is zero need for the second 4pin. " even I use this CPU at its maximum speed at 4.60 GHz. Is that true?

Yes. the extra 4-pin is there to supply extra power for extreme overclocking or super powerhungry CPUs. Your 13400 won't be needing it.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

5 minutes ago, freezerdragon said:

even I use this CPU at its maximum speed at 4.60 GHz. Is that true?

Yes, you don't need the 4 pin with a 13400F. It's only there if you run an overclocked 13900K/14900K, otherwise you'll get nowhere close to maxing out a single 8 pin. For reference, an 8 pin in practice can handle ~400W before you start having issues, and you'll pretty much never see a 13400 go to over 200W. 

1 hour ago, freezerdragon said:

Hi;

Thanks.

There are almost zero decent 700w PSUs. What's the brand and model of your PSU?

1 hour ago, Average Nerd said:

Yes. the extra 4-pin is there to supply extra power for extreme overclocking or super powerhungry CPUs. Your 13400 won't be needing it.

Agreed, but what I do personally is to go ahead and hook it up if it's there and the board has a header for it.
Won't hurt a thing if you do and there is no question about it's "Need".... It's there, the machine is working and all is well on my part. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:42 AM, --SID-- said:

There are almost zero decent 700w PSUs. What's the brand and model of your PSU?

@--SID-- Hi! You can find the attached file regarding the psu. 

IMG-20240207-WA0005.jpg

21 minutes ago, freezerdragon said:

IMG-20240207-WA0005.jpg

That's a terrible PSU. Group regulated, 230vO input, bad protections, very low quality.

8 hours ago, freezerdragon said:

IMG-20240207-WA0005.jpg

@Hinjima @podkall what do you also think about this? As far as I know this psu is a decent one.

@--SID-- I didn't get what you mean by 230v input. ~220v ac is standard in my country already. And why do you think that is a low quality since it is Taiwanese brand AFAIK. 

Edited by freezerdragon

10 hours ago, freezerdragon said:

@Hinjima @podkall what do you also think about this? As far as I know this psu is a decent one.

@--SID-- I didn't get what you mean by 230v input. ~220v ac is standard in my country already. And why do you think that is a low quality since it is Taiwanese brand AFAIK. 

what is the GPU?

@Somerandomtechyboi how good is this? (I don't see any protections I know about) [website]

image.thumb.png.9d88868699ed11e052a56b481b8b203d.png

image.png.a6108732c3a249ee13c9cb2431998570.png

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

GPU is Zotac GTX660

@Somerandomtechyboi What do you mean as protection. Under safety there are 3 items. yes this is not a new PSU Beside this I have UPS connected to my computer so I have protection.

To all: so what do you think about this PSU and with this CPU and GPU?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, podkall said:

how good is this? (I don't see any protections I know about)

That's the scary thing. They don't mention anything about protection features. And there's no 80 Plus certification too.

Under safety there are 3 items

Those are not safety items to protect your computer parts.

Beside this I have UPS connected to my computer so I have protection.

That's a protection on the AC side like the above safety items. You need protection features on the DC side like OPP, OVP, UVP, OCP, OTP. I doubt this unit has OCP and OTP.

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

And there's no 80 Plus certification too.

so the 85% efficiency, is just an efficiency, and not a certification? oh dear

GPU is Zotac GTX660

@Somerandomtechyboi What do you mean as protection. Under safety there are 3 items. yes this is not a new PSU Beside this I have UPS connected to my computer so I have protection.

To all: so what do you think about this PSU and with this CPU and GPU?

Thanks.

just get a good PSU, there's nothing wrong with purchasing something more expensive that doesn't fry your entire PC potentially

you mean 660 or 1660?

what's your budget on the PSU?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Ok. What about NZXT C750 PA-7B2BB-EU 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply?

This one also has 8+4 Pin CPU socket

3 minutes ago, freezerdragon said:

Ok. What about NZXT C750 PA-7B2BB-EU 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply?

This one also has 8+4 Pin CPU socket

That's a half decent unit. At least it has DC-DC for all rails and all important protections, but why 750w? The C750 Bronze has an outdated design on the primary side, not sufficient for recent mid- to high-end GPUs. That means this PSU is useless as a 750w and not future proof. Is the Thermalktake BM3 available?

Yes it is possbile but it is more expensive. 

750 Watt is enough my GPU is old and I do not use powerful GPU for now and for future and prices are high. 

For NXZT= @--SID--you wrote "At least it has DC-DC for all rails and all important protections", OVP (Over Voltage Protection) UVP (Under Voltage Protection) SCP (Short Circuit Protection) OTP (Over Temperature Protection) OPP (Over Power Protection) OCP (Over Current Protection)

Sockets, cables are enough what is the problem why half decent?

Sockets, cables are enough what is the problem why half decent?

Because the internal design with double forward on the primary side is quite old and the quality is not that high.

11 hours ago, podkall said:

what is the GPU?

@Somerandomtechyboi how good is this? (I don't see any protections I know about) [website]

image.thumb.png.9d88868699ed11e052a56b481b8b203d.png

image.png.a6108732c3a249ee13c9cb2431998570.png

Meh quality but usable enough considering i run an 85+ 700w tundra with a slightly better 12v rail (54a instead of 52.5a but still a meh psu due to >50w distance from the psu rating)

On 2/6/2024 at 3:15 AM, freezerdragon said:

Hi;

Thanks.

Budget?

Country?

Usecases?

Full specs if current build?

If you happen to be running a ryzen build you can drop in a 5700x3d or a used 5800x3d and all you have to do then is upgrade the gpu

As for wether the psu is neccesary to upgrade depends on the budget, once you start getting over 6700xt/3070 class cards (used) or 7700xt/4070 class cards (new) then yes a psu upgrade would be neccesary even if the wattage is higher, apparently something to do with transients (basically psu shuts down due to protections in place since it cant handle the transients from higher end newer gpus) so if your budget doesnt allow for anything over a used 6700xt or 3070 then you should be good with your current unit, otherwise id avise a psu swap and it isnt that expensive anyways if you buy a used one, 850w rm(x) or equivalent are 40-60$ used and you may even get lucky and find decent 1000w+ units (that arent ancient silverstone units from 15 years ago)

Also the 13400 is trash just buy a 12600k(f) or even a used one for 150-180$, you arent saving much money with a crippled 12600k, and might aswell get a z board since theyre the same price as the actually decent b boards so no reason to get a b board if a z board costs the same