Is it possible to upgrade the USB-C port or HDMI port on a laptop?

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
15 minutes ago, Toeriek said:

Well that's unfortunate.

So there's absolutely no way to get 4k 60Hz unless I replace the entire laptop?

The model is: Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH6 82L5009DMH bought in September of 2022

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ACH6/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ACH6_Spec.pdf

So where is #1 in this image, this is confusing me. Regardless, lets focus on #4. 

image.thumb.png.a9b81728e6685fcae9a1f9d4ce4e9f86.png

image.thumb.png.9237a7f8f745accf73495e0fad13f702.png

If I'm reading this correctly, one of those USB-C ports supports video, most likely DisplayPort Alt-Mode. I really wish this was better documented but i'm working with what I got. 

If we're going to assume its the port labeled #4, what I'd try first is this quality CableMatters Type C to HDMI 2.1 adapter.

Its possible the Type C port will only do DisplayPort Alt mode in which case you'd want to use this, then this

No guarantee any of this will work, shit gets weird with the state of HDMI and Type C. 

Hi!

I'm new to the LTT forum, but a long time viewer of the channel. So forgive me if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find anything on this topic.

The short question is if it is possible to replace the USB-C 3.2 gen 2x1 (10Gbit/s) by a USB-C 3.2 gen 2x2 (20Gbit/s) on a laptop. Or replace the HDMI 1.4b port with a HDMI 2.0 port.

To explain the question: I recently got a 32" 4k 60Hz display and I wanted to use this as my primary display for my laptop (a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH6 82L5009DMH). After plugging the monitor in to the laptop (both through USB-C and HDMI) I found out that it's only capable of 4k 30Hz, which is not ideal to say the least (feels like using something from the 90's :'). After a quick Google search I found out that the 10 Gbit/s from the USB-C port is not enough to support 4k 60Hz, while the laptop is more than capable of doing so.

So I got to thinking and was wondering if it is at all possible to just desolder the current USB-C port on the laptop and replacing it with a USB-C 3.2 gen 2x2 port or do the same with the HDMI port.

I'd prefer the USB-C upgrade, but anything to be able to get 4k 60Hz to work would be amazing.

Thank you for your time and I hope someone knows the answer to this odd question.

No. Because the interface from the controller will still be the exact same thing. All you would accomplish is replacing the connector, but the interface running through it won't change.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

6 minutes ago, Toeriek said:

So I got to thinking and was wondering if it is at all possible to just desolder the current USB-C port on the laptop and replacing it with a USB-C 3.2 gen 2x2 port or do the same with the HDMI port.

no, that's not possible. The ports are related to the USB/HDMI controller, usually found within the CPU itself or on a different controller.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Which exact laptop do you have, year included. 

No, you would also need to change the controller, most are also wired to a different spec, etc... the port may have a slight change for the standard but the port would be the least of the problems

Well that's unfortunate.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Which exact laptop do you have, year included. 

The model is: Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH6 82L5009DMH bought in September of 2022

11 minutes ago, Toeriek said:

eGPU. That's the only thing I can think of, but it only really works if you have a thunderbolt port.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

15 minutes ago, Toeriek said:

Well that's unfortunate.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ACH6/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ACH6_Spec.pdf

So where is #1 in this image, this is confusing me. Regardless, lets focus on #4. 

If I'm reading this correctly, one of those USB-C ports supports video, most likely DisplayPort Alt-Mode. I really wish this was better documented but i'm working with what I got. 

If we're going to assume its the port labeled #4, what I'd try first is this quality CableMatters Type C to HDMI 2.1 adapter.

Its possible the Type C port will only do DisplayPort Alt mode in which case you'd want to use this, then this

No guarantee any of this will work, shit gets weird with the state of HDMI and Type C. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Apparently ports 1 and 2 are optional ports, which my laptop doesn't have.

image.png.51c17dec573c22175540295ac775e51a.png

So if I'm reading this part correctly I should be able to use a USB-C to displayport 1.4 cable and it should theoretically show me 4k 60Hz right?
And would it also work the same with a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable?

Thanks for the help btw, this was immensely helpful!

1 hour ago, Toeriek said:

So if I'm reading this part correctly I should be able to use a USB-C to displayport 1.4 cable and it should theoretically show me 4k 60Hz right?

Definitely.

1 hour ago, Toeriek said:

And would it also work the same with a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable?

Possibly. Unclear if the port also supports the now dead Type C HDMI Alt-mode, if not you'd need an active cable that converts the DP signal to HDMI. 

If you display supports DisplayPort that's the ideal solution. For some reason I assumed it was HDMI only.

Type C to DisplayPort cable: https://a.co/d/9KlxMAv

Type C to DisplayPort adapter (supply your own cable): https://a.co/d/96B5xM9

Again though DP is the better way to go if your display has support for it.

Awesome! I'll order a Type C to DP cable and try it out.

Thank you all so much for your input!