How safe is paypal for buying and selling items. LTT Classifieds

From a seller standpoint, if someone transfers the money to my paypal account, can he get it back? 

Here is an example

Someone wants to buy something from me, I tell him if something happens during shipping I am not responsible. He agrees. Can he still get his money back if it arrives damaged due to shipping?

Just make sure the money is in your bank account before you send anything.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I think PayPal has something similar to that but it might cost extra money or something I'm not sure. If they have an insurance option then probably but I think something like that would be more of a thing UPS or FedEx would offer insurance on a package.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Nope. But, even in the off chance that he CAN get his money back, that's why you always pay the $2 or whatever insurance on the package costs. It's pretty stupid not to, to be honest.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If he tries to chargeback (aka reverse the payment) after they receive it, just dispute it and send Paypal prove that they got it (registered/tracked post with 'sign on delivery'), and a screenshot of your listing terms that says "Once it's shipped, I'm no longer responsible for the item, you agree to this if you buy it".

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

If he tries to chargeback (aka reverse the payment) after they receive it, just dispute it and send Paypal prove that they got it (registered/tracked post with 'sign on delivery'), and a screenshot of your listing terms that says "Once it's shipped, I'm no longer responsible for the item, you agree to this if you buy it".

Sign on delivery isn't very convenient for most people though. It also doesn't guarantee delivery depending on the living arrangement, as anyone living at the residence can sign for it.

I've gotten packages returned because the person wasn't there to sign for it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

so even if im not sure if the guy I am selling to is legit or not, as long as I have delivery proof and written consent from him paypal will protect me from chargebacks?

so even if im not sure if the guy I am selling to is legit or not, as long as I have delivery proof and written consent from him paypal will protect me from chargebacks?

You just add it to the text of your post. But yes, usually you'll win if you have that information.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

done numerous transactions via PP(paintball related items on diff forums), I transact with PP verified members only and if I'm the seller I only ship to their PP shipping address.

Exception would be dealing with prominent members of the forum.

I only but stuff from Pay Pal; it is such a hassle to use for selling unless you do it through ebay.

Compatible with Windows 95

I only but stuff from Pay Pal; it is such a hassle to use for selling unless you do it through ebay.

It's also a hassle when selling through eBay tbh...

From a seller standpoint, if someone transfers the money to my paypal account, can he get it back? 

Here is an example

Someone wants to buy something from me, I tell him if something happens during shipping I am not responsible. He agrees. Can he still get his money back if it arrives damaged due to shipping?

FYI in the uk you would be responsible regardless of wether he agrees or not. its a point of law and therefore can not be overwritten by a contract. dont know where your from or if the same applies

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

About as safe as eBay if the money is sent as good.

It's also a hassle when selling through eBay tbh...

How's PayPal a hastle? Seems quite easy and straight forward to me.

How's PayPal a hastle? Seems quite easy and straight forward to me.

If someone pays you through PayPal for an item you listed on eBay, then raises a dispute, your PayPal account is automatically charged the full amount immediately, putting you in a negative balance if you've withdrawn the funds to your bank account. It's pretty much impossible to win a dispute as a seller even if you're not in the wrong and you can end up out of pocket quiet easily.

I'd been burned in the past selling a rig and since I couldn't prove that the user had damaged the system and they had raised a dispute outside the shipping companies claims window, I was left out of pocket with a broken motherboard.

That's why I'll only take cash on collection for large sales now, I'll only sell with PayPal for small things.

Not to mention the fees etc...

If someone pays you through PayPal for an item you listed on eBay, then raises a dispute, your PayPal account is automatically charged the full amount immediately, putting you in a negative balance if you've withdrawn the funds to your bank account. It's pretty much impossible to win a dispute as a seller even if you're not in the wrong and you can end up out of pocket quiet easily.

I'd been burned in the past selling a rig and since I couldn't prove that the user had damaged the system and they had raised a dispute outside the shipping companies claims window, I was left out of pocket with a broken motherboard.

That's why I'll only take cash on collection for large sales now, I'll only sell with PayPal for small things.

Not to mention the fees etc...

your not doing something right then because I rarely if ever get a dispute and I think I have only lost one in recent years. One big deterrent is writing a good return policy where you dont cover shipping damage unless they pay for insurance. Also so that if the item is indeed damaged they have to ship it back so that you can confirm before issuing a refund.

Selling PCs on the internet, especially on ebay is just a bad idea in general. Your not going to make money and the likelihood that something will break in shipping is quite high unless you spend a good amount of money on packaging it.

A way to get around the fees with forums is to say if the person wants to use good, since its for their protection not yours, have them cover the paypal fees.

I really just think you havnt had very much experience selling things on the web or at least havnt really learned from getting burned.