My monitor has 165hz but it limits me to 144hz!

F.E.A.R.
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
Just now, F.E.A.R. said:

I was told that it's old tech and it's not compatible that's why the black screen cause.

That is blatantly false and I'd be suspect of any advice you receive from that person.

You'll need the higher bandwidth of DP 1.4 to achieve 165Hz at 1440p. Make sure the monitor is set to its DisplayPort input and if necessary try multiple DP ports on the GPU. 

My monitor is LG 31.5'' UltraGear™ QHD 1440p 165hz, yet my display resolution only shows 1440p/144hz with my HDMI 2.0. The DPI cable didn't make a problem displaying 165hz however it wasn't compatible with new hardware and it would show only a black screen.

HDMI 2.0 still limits me to 144hz despite having a Ryzen 5600x, RTX 3600 and Asus TUF Plus X570 plus.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

3 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

HDMI 2.0 still limits me to 144hz despite having a Ryzen 5600x, RTX 3600 and Asus TUF Plus X570 plus.

Yep, that's normal. Use DisplayPort.

5 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

The DPI cable didn't make a problem displaying 165hz however it wasn't compatible with new hardware and it would show only a black screen.

huh? What do you mean it's not compatible with new hardware? 

I don't think that's why you are getting a black screen, displayport is not outdated or anything. It's available on all new hardware I've seen

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

11 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

That's per HDMI 2.0 spec.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc&mode=maxfreq&H=2560&V=1440

9 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

huh? What do you mean it's not compatible with new hardware? 

I don't think that's why you are getting a black screen, displayport is not outdated or anything. It's available on all new hardware I've seen

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yep, that's normal. Use DisplayPort.

The display port out of the box of my monitor I ran into a constant black screen loop. It wasn't a thing when I changed to HDMI. I was told that it's old tech and it's not compatible that's why the black screen cause.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Just now, F.E.A.R. said:

I was told that it's old tech and it's not compatible that's why the black screen cause.

That is blatantly false and I'd be suspect of any advice you receive from that person.

You'll need the higher bandwidth of DP 1.4 to achieve 165Hz at 1440p. Make sure the monitor is set to its DisplayPort input and if necessary try multiple DP ports on the GPU. 

8 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I was told that it's old tech

😂

Other than what @GuiltySpark_said, you could also try multiple DP cables. Possible the one that came with it is messed up 

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

15 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

16 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yes, I will buy a new one and try it out.