What are the best Linux distributions?

I will install a Linux distributions on my own computer. Which distribution should I install? 

Linux mint cinnamon is definitely the best beginner distro, looks pretty similar to windows, has a lot of the same shortcuts, and overall just works

You ask 10 Linux users what the best distro is, you'll get 11 different answers. Generally, something Ubuntu based is a good first distro, so something along the lines of vanilla Ubuntu, Linux Mint, KDE Neon, Pop_OS!, etc., though there are plenty of reasons to go for something else. 

Kubuntu or ubuntu family

Ubuntu has most edge and figured out and made quite easy for beginners.

For gaming I would suggest nobara

Its minimal with steam included and has easy upgrade and driver install

But you know i would go for kubuntu works great for beginners and that's what my first main daily driver and learning curve to different distros

Fun fact all of those different distros is build on top debian or arch 

Once you understand distros better you will see distros as big package made by devs on their choices and Discovery on what works better on what machine.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

3 minutes ago, NinXStation said:

My Linux knowledge is at a high level. I want to install Linux from Scratch. How is it? 

Aight bro, go nixos and build your own config thats where I'm at atm quite fun tbh.

And it lacks documentation which is fun as well ❤️‍🩹

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

The best distro is the one that best fits your needs.

For me Pop!_OS with GNOME is the best for laptops while Fedora KDE for desktop  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

35 minutes ago, NinXStation said:

My Linux knowledge is at a high level. I want to install Linux from Scratch. How is it? 

I honestly don’t think you do. People who have “high level” knowledge usually know what to use. 

Use Arch or Nixos, since you are “high level”

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You ask 10 Linux users what the best distro is, you'll get 11 different answers. Generally, something Ubuntu based is a good first distro, so something along the lines of vanilla Ubuntu, Linux Mint, KDE Neon, Pop_OS!, etc., though there are plenty of reasons to go for something else. 

Pop OS is garbage and daddy Mutahar agrees with that. I had nothing but issues with it. Definitely not a beginner distro.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Ubuntu MATE is my go-to when I have to install a general-use Linux desktop. I'm just old and used to GNOME 2. 🤷‍♂️

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Pop OS is garbage and daddy Mutahar agrees with that. I had nothing but issues with it. Definitely not a beginner distro.

I think that just proves my first sentence...

I mean, it's not my favorite out of the Debian branch, I'd rather have straight Ubuntu, but back when I did run Pop_OS! it was just as stable as regular Ubuntu. The experience you describe is mine with Manjaro, and yet that's still a fan favorite to recommend for first time Linux users because most people don't have problems. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I think that just proves my first sentence...

I mean, it's not my favorite out of the Debian branch, I'd rather have straight Ubuntu, but back when I did run Pop_OS! it was just as stable as regular Ubuntu. The experience you describe is mine with Manjaro, and yet that's still a fan favorite to recommend for first time Linux users because most people don't have problems. 

Yeah I never said it didn't, just wanted to vent my frustrations with pop os

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Coming from someone using a OnePlus 6T, the best Linux distro is easily postmarketOS. Mobian (yes, Mobile Debian) beheads itself whenever I install updates, so I was forced to use postmarketOS. With the Plasma Mobile desktop environment, it is actually very good, if you can overlook the poor hardware support. There is Waydroid if you are interested in Android apps, but even without that, all of this just seemed too good to be true, and it honestly still is. There is still hardware with no drivers such as the accelerometer and the camera on the OnePlus 6T, and it gets worse if you are using any other ARM64 device.

Otherwise, I tried using "stock" Debian. Had issues with too much unrecognized hardware. Used Linux Mint Debian Edition and had less issues. It actually works fine now. Linux Mint is recommended for beginners (and no, not LMDE, which I use now).

Linux Mint is not only very good for beginners. I wouldn`t classify myself as a total beginner and i absolutely love Mint Cinnamon, since it just works. Its the OS i need, because it stays in the background and does its job.

3 hours ago, NinXStation said:

https://www.linuxfromscratch.org

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Mint, Nobara, Garuda and maybe PikaOS. The rest is fluff for beginners. Fedora, Arch and NixOS if you're advanced.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

What are the best Linux distributions?

The ones that "do what *you* want" out of the box, without tinkering.

If you can't find one that does that - it's Debian, Arch and Gentoo.

• 2 weeks later...

As good as Nobara is for gaming I'd always suggest something with a Debian base. Most guides online are for Debian OS's and you'll find support much more easily.

I'm currently just using vanilla Debian with KDE Plasma. Rock solid and drama free, at least for my use case.

It's like asking what is your favorite ice cream. You'll get answers from I don't like it to all possible tastes that are around. It's rather personal. If you look for a well documented easy to start distro I'd try Ubuntu. I myself use Debian since version 2 😛 (yeah... that old...) and still on it. Debian is were ubuntu was based on. Debian however is in my opinion more difficult to jump on for beginners on linux than ubuntu as they put quite some effort in stream-lining the GUI experience. That's nicer than on debian I'd say. Nevertheless, I'm mostly on console anyway 😛 so the GUI stuff doesn't bother me a bit.