PSU failing symptoms

borders
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, borders said:

anyone seen this issues which were caused by bad/failing psu's before?

No. Bad PSUs usually have shutdown issues, not really BSODs. It's theoretically possible, but not likely. 

What are the system specs? This sounds like a memory issue of some sort, though knowing where to start troubleshooting depends on the CPU, motherboard, BIOS revision, and exact memory kit. 

I been seeing these issues for the past several months and at first I didn't think it was a power supply problem - anyone seen this issues which were caused by bad/failing psu's before?

Or is it more likely due to the mb?

Browser websites/tabs failing to load - seen this on ff/brave

AMD GPU driver failing to load at bootup - fallback to default windows driver automatically ok - reinstalling amd driver seems to work

RAM failing to run at rated speed at bootup - fallback to default slow 2133 speed ok - change speed back to xmp profile seems to work

Windows BSODs randomly

These issues don't seem to occur more frequently under heavy load and/or many things going on in the background and don't occur that often which makes diagnosis alot more harder.

1 minute ago, borders said:

anyone seen this issues which were caused by bad/failing psu's before?

No. Bad PSUs usually have shutdown issues, not really BSODs. It's theoretically possible, but not likely. 

What are the system specs? This sounds like a memory issue of some sort, though knowing where to start troubleshooting depends on the CPU, motherboard, BIOS revision, and exact memory kit. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

RX580, MSI b450a pro, Gskill PC3200, AMD 2600. Nothing overclocked, went through the bios several times in the past to make sure nothing is out of place.

I thought it was a driver issue at first because I turned off Windows driver update and the mb chipset driver was quite out of date, just updated it along with realtek audio/lan drivers and still got infrequent bsod, browser issues. Bios is not the latest(2nd latest) but the latest only adds TPM oob security patch.

4 minutes ago, borders said:

Gskill PC3200, AMD 2600.

There are 2600s that can't run 3200MT/s at stock voltages, try dialing the memory speed back to 2933 and see if your issues persist. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

There are 2600s that can't run 3200MT/s at stock voltages, try dialing the memory speed back to 2933 and see if your issues persist. 

Crap. I thought it was the psu for sure. I'll go and check the ram compatibility again but I think the memory module was listed as ok.
I forgot to mention that the PC failed to boot 3 long beeps and the mb debug light flashed on ram a few days ago which made me scramble to update the mb drivers. I got the 3 long beeps error a few more times and then it just worked ok.

Just now, borders said:

I'll go and check the ram compatibility again but I think the memory module was listed as ok

The memory QVL isn't actually all that reliable. Most of the time, motherboards rate it with CPUs with the best memory controller they have in their possession, so if you happen to get a rather mediocre memory controller, it won't run the higher speeds listed on the QVL. 

7 minutes ago, borders said:

I forgot to mention that the PC failed to boot 3 long beeps

Pretty sure that's a RAM problem. 

45 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The memory QVL isn't actually all that reliable. Most of the time, motherboards rate it with CPUs with the best memory controller they have in their possession, so if you happen to get a rather mediocre memory controller, it won't run the higher speeds listed on the QVL. 

Pretty sure that's a RAM problem. 

But it was working fine for years. Does that mean if I want PC3200 speed, I have to get 3600 sticks and run them slower? Is that normally how its done.

58 minutes ago, borders said:

I have to get 3600 sticks and run them slower? Is that normally how its done.

No, some Zen+ CPU's can't run 3200 and higher at all and some hit almost 4000 with Samsung B-die and Micron E-die. It really depends on the quality of the memory controller and the MIC on the RAM.

Is the motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

5 hours ago, --SID-- said:

No, some Zen+ CPU's can't run 3200 and higher at all and some hit almost 4000 with Samsung B-die and Micron E-die. It really depends on the quality of the memory controller and the MIC on the RAM.

Is the motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

Got it, its the CPU memory controller. And thinking about it now, the symptoms do point to the ram/IMC. I was complaining about the stability of programs longer than 6 months back and I didn't think it was the ram because nothing was overclocked and it was sort of stable. I only got really concerned when it failed to boot.

PSU is MWE2 bronze v2 650W.