Seeking Advice: Replacing Boot Drive in Multi-Drive Configuration

hugaluga

My PC currently only has a 240GB SSD as a boot drive and I purchased a 4TB SSD to replace it, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I have several other hard drives and SSDs on this computer with important files that I would rather not migrate or reformat as part of the process if possible.

Should I:

1 - Clone my boot drive onto the new SSD

• What program would I need to do this?
  • Are there any special considerations?
  • Will my other storage drives still be recognized by Windows while booting on the new drive?

OR

2 - Do a fresh windows install using the new boot drive

• Should I do windows 10 or windows 11?
  • Will my other storage drives still be recognized by Windows while booting on the new drive?

Bonus Question:
This was the first PC I ever built and when I first set up the PC I ran some software for hardening security. I only used it because it came free with some other software I bought. I regret this now since I clearly don't know what I'm doing. Should I be worried that it would have encrypted the drives or turned on some overly sensitive security settings that will flip out when I replace the boot drive?

22 minutes ago, hugaluga said:

My PC currently only has a 240GB SSD as a boot drive and I purchased a 4TB SSD to replace it, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I have several other hard drives and SSDs on this computer with important files that I would rather not migrate or reformat as part of the process if possible.

Should I:

1 - Clone my boot drive onto the new SSD

• What program would I need to do this?

OR

2 - Do a fresh windows install using the new boot drive

• Should I do windows 10 or windows 11?

Bonus Question:
This was the first PC I ever built and when I first set up the PC I ran some software for hardening security. I only used it because it came free with some other software I bought. I regret this now since I clearly don't know what I'm doing. Should I be worried that it would have encrypted the drives or turned on some overly sensitive security settings that will flip out when I replace the boot drive?

Cloning is simpler (and works well, did it 1 month ago, dual boot Win/linux)
I've used AOMEI Partition Assistant but have paid version, not sure the free one can do that (or only for a time)

After a full disk cloning (not partition clones) just increase or create new partition for the extra storage space

Wasn't able to upgrade to Win11 without boot errors btw, dual boot seems a no go

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Thanks for the perspective. Cloning does seem more straightforward in some ways (though I'd have to procure software to make it happen).

Getting a fresh OS does have it's own appeal though so I've been procrastinating the decision.