Patent to "force" phones into certain state when in a certain location!

somethingawsome

So, a friend posted a link to the below patent on facebook that caught my eye.

The TLDR seems to be that locations such as cinemas can have a "wireless device" that forces all WLan enabled phones into a set state when they are located in a predetermined area. This state includes (but doesn't seem to be limited too)

* reduced brightness

* muted sounds

* disconnect all Bluetooth devices

* force into sleep

Having a read through the claims it seems that although these are all options, they are do not HAVE to give the user any notice or request permission to do so.

"Alternatively, the method further comprises providing a user of the user wireless device at least one opportunity of accepting or rejecting association with the access point before the association is created and the at least one policy enforced"

I think it's fairly easy to get around by just turning Wi-Fi off or not connecting to that network, but it's late here and I'm not 100% sure that I have a true grasp on the ins and outs.

Definitely interesting technology, but I'm really not comfortable with that at all. As my friend said on facebook when posting it, if it didn't require the user to accept and didn't revolve around Wi-Fi networks, forcing the phone into a sleep state and rendering the phone useless is definitely not good!

Wouldn't mind seeing what you guys make of it!

Sorry for shoddy formatting, on mobile!

Link: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=36&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%2820120828.PD.+AND+Apple.ASNM.%29&OS=ISD%2F20120828+AND+AN%2FApple&RS=%28ISD%2F20120828+AND+AN%2FApple%29

Lift Large and Prosper!

It would be nice to have peoples phones not going off in the cinema but on the other hand this can be easily exploited by anyone so i don't think it is worth the risk. 

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

{

If (In dark alley)

disable 911

}

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

instant approval by your truly, the NSA

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Guess Ubisoft aren't just a bunch of tinfoil hats and actually based their game Watch Dogs on reality...

It would be nice to have peoples phones not going off in the cinema but on the other hand this can be easily exploited by anyone so i don't think it is worth the risk.

In the cinema with your kids your wife is on her way home from work and has a car accident emergency services are trying to get hold of you the movie ends and u find out your wife is dead...

In the cinema with your kids your wife is on her way home from work and has a car accident emergency services are trying to get hold of you the movie ends and u find out your wife is dead...

This is the issue I have exactly. There are many annoying things about phones going off when there not supposed too, but in some cases there justified. Going to have a proper read over this during the day to see exactly what were in for! 

Lift Large and Prosper!

Okay guys, And noone actualyl thought about how they will do it ?

The only , really only way it can be done (i can think of) is  to have wireless signal jammer .

How they can propably "hack" into your mobile and disable something ?

In a moment they would be sued of Hacking from android /  iOS / WP  side.

Its like i would build my device and hack a way into smartphones ..  No way this is legal :)

Yeah, you would have to give express permission to do so otherwise it'd be illegal. Plus, I wouldn't go to a Cinema that enforced this. At least in my situation there are plenty of other cinemas I can offer my patronage to

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Yeah, you would have to give express permission to do so otherwise it'd be illegal. Plus, I wouldn't go to a Cinema that enforced this. At least in my situation there are plenty of other cinemas I can offer my patronage to

Well, that's the thing. The patent makes a point of saying that although the tech has the ability to ask the user to accept before doing anything, that is not a requirement for it to work and it can "Take control" without this step. 

The legal side of this is sketchy to say the least to me and I would fully agree that it would be illegal to do this without the user either being given an onscreen prompt or being told they are entering an area where it is being enforced. I do know that mobile signal jammers are illegal, which has me thinking that this is done via WIFI. If it does this could mean that turning off wifi means they can do squat!

Lift Large and Prosper!

This is the issue I have exactly. There are many annoying things about phones going off when there not supposed too, but in some cases there justified. Going to have a proper read over this during the day to see exactly what were in for!

I just put my phone into meeting mode, so that only my starred contacts can get through, or people who call twice within 5 minutes.

I want to carry one around in a crowded city. That would be some immense fun

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

instant approval by your truly, the NSA

class Harvest_data {

public $user;

public $our_jurisdiction = america;

private $our_jurisdiction = earth;

//This is intentional... or is it?

function __construct($user){

$this->user = $user;

$our_response = $this->track_user($user);

$has_harvested_data = $this->_track_user($user);

}

public function track_user($user){

return 'Nothing to see here '.$user.'!';

}

private function _track_user($user) {

$user_location = $this->_get_location($user);

//If statement not really needed, result of the comparison is always true

if($user_location==$our_jurisdiction){

$all = _logdata();

$this->_senddata($all);

$this->playsound(evil_laugh_001.wav);

return 1;

}

}

}

$person = new Harvest_data('me');

echo $person;

There maybe some syntax errors & some functions are not written, but hopefully you get the gist of it by the function names. Still a little new to this.  ^_^

Bonus points, guess the language!  :P

So, turns out its NOT just over wifi. It can be implemented over cellular network also. Seems that its not only for WIFI enabled devices and even the likes of laptops hardwiring into a network too! 

"Exemplary embodiments of the present invention are now described in detail. It will be appreciated that while these exemplary embodiments are described primarily in the context of a WiFi (i.e., IEEE Std. 802.11) air interface and protocol, this context is merely illustrative, and the invention is in no way so limited to WiFi applications (or any other air interface or specification). For example, the invention may be readily practiced within the context of a PAN (e.g., 802.15), WiMAX (802.16), MWBA (802.20), or even cellular (e.g., 3G) network. "

I suppose having a patent is one thing, but the physical devices that would be required to carry out this don't exist yet as far as I know! Not comfortable with the direction were going with the likes of this, net neutrality and all that other guff. Sorry times!

class Harvest_data {

public $user;

$this->user = $user;

}

}

$all = _logdata();

$this->_senddata($all);

return 1;

}

}

}

echo $person;

There maybe some syntax errors & some functions are not written, but hopefully you get the gist of it by the function names. Still a little new to this.  ^_^

No idea on the language (Not the best coder at ALL) but I loled! :D

Lift Large and Prosper!

{

If (In dark alley)

disable 911

}

close but

If (In dark alley){

disable 911;

}

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

class Harvest_data {

public $user;

$this->user = $user;

}

}

$all = _logdata();

$this->_senddata($all);

return 1;

}

}

}

echo $person;

lol i wish i knew, i'm actually trying to find time on my own to learn some programing, i know shit :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

class Harvest_data {

public $user;

$this->user = $user;

}

}

$all = _logdata();

$this->_senddata($all);

return 1;

}

}

}

echo $person;

Seems like PHP .

No amount of cool ideas this could be used for is worth the abuses that could also come from it. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Seems like PHP .

We have a winner! +10 Imaginary Internet Points.

Don't spend them all at once!  ^_^

close but

If (In dark alley){

disable 911;

}

I wondered why it wasn't working! Thanks!

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014