What OS do you use as you main computer OS?

joshfrog

What OS are you using?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What OS you use?

• Linux
    • MacOS
    • Windows
    • FreeBSD
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you use more then 1 OS? (not counting android or ios)

• Yes (often)
    • No
    • Sometimes
  3. 3. If you use more then 1 what is the other?

• Linus
    • MacOS
    • Windows
    • FreeBSD
    • Other

Hi All 

Not trying to start WW3 here just curious what OS people use as you'r main OS and if you use more then 1.

If you want to say what OS you are using go for it.

Thanks.

I have systems within 10 feet of me running all three major OSs. My desktop is Windows, laptop is MacOS, and my Steam Deck, servers, and spare laptop are all Linux. 

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Had to choose other as Linus is not an OS 

Depends how you use him...

Thanks for catching that i missed it but ima leave it. 🙂

Just now, whispous said:

What if I use Linux ALL DAY... on my server?

Well id say its up to you on how you define main if you want to say linux servers because they run 24/7 go for it i aint no cop and this isnt a legal form with perjury charges being placed against you if you say linux servers.

3 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

Well id say its up to you on how you define main if you want to say linux servers because they run 24/7 go for it i aint no cop and this isnt a legal form with perjury charges being placed against you if you say linux servers.

That's fair enough but it doesn't mean anyone can even begin to speculate on what the results mean

1 minute ago, whispous said:

That's fair enough but it doesn't mean anyone can even begin to speculate on what the results mean

I can only speak for myself but i have no interest beyond just being a curious cat.

I would assume given this being a tech based forum that it would have more people using 2 or more operating systems with linux/linus being 1 of them in some form but no clue.

I apply alot of tweaks to ATLAS OS its all free and safe, My service count while running chrome/spotify/steam is 78 which is pretty good. stock boot its at 57 processes and 2.8 ram usage with 955 threads. I have 64gb of ram and 3tb of ssd storage and everything loads in an instant even big apps. I think I'll write a step by step guide of the 4 main tweaks and how to do it properly so that everyone can have a nearly unhackable zippy windows. alot of people don't tweak, and alot of people want to setup windows and just have it stay the same way everytime they reboot. deepfreeze a app I found does that and it's awesome I don't need mac reflect anymore and everytime I mess up my computer fiddling around all i have to do is restart and its back to normal, i experimented with changed powershell/.bat/reg/updates and everything gets wiped and im pretty sure its the only way that prevents hacking this side of simply not using the internet.

the gist

install windows 11 or 10

install atlas os

run decrapifier

run eso optimiser(shuts services)

run another decrapifier cant remember the name off the top of my head

run blackvipers script

install the basically free deep freeze worth the 50 bucks as it can be used on 10 computers sim.

setup windows with everything you want just the way you like it....freeze the system and never have to tweak or worry again.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:20 PM, jre84 said:

I apply alot of tweaks to ATLAS OS its all free and safe, My service count while running chrome/spotify/steam is 78 which is pretty good. stock boot its at 57 processes and 2.8 ram usage with 955 threads. I have 64gb of ram and 3tb of ssd storage and everything loads in an instant even big apps. I think I'll write a step by step guide of the 4 main tweaks and how to do it properly so that everyone can have a nearly unhackable zippy windows. alot of people don't tweak, and alot of people want to setup windows and just have it stay the same way everytime they reboot. deepfreeze a app I found does that and it's awesome I don't need mac reflect anymore and everytime I mess up my computer fiddling around all i have to do is restart and its back to normal, i experimented with changed powershell/.bat/reg/updates and everything gets wiped and im pretty sure its the only way that prevents hacking this side of simply not using the internet.

the gist

install windows 11 or 10

install atlas os

run decrapifier

run eso optimiser(shuts services)

run another decrapifier cant remember the name off the top of my head

run blackvipers script

install the basically free deep freeze worth the 50 bucks as it can be used on 10 computers sim.

setup windows with everything you want just the way you like it....freeze the system and never have to tweak or worry again.

If it works for you I'm glad.

For expert Level I've just make disk image save it on my backup drive.

Then apply it when i need it.

But then again I'm Linux user using dangerous tools it's not for everyone.

As for thread.

I use multiple operation systems really.

It's hard to say which is my main system.

For gaming I'd use Nobara.

Virtualisation and disk management repairing and such I'd use Kubuntu

Workstation I'd use NixOS

For work documentation and minimal risk since its tested by me before deployment.

I might be nuts, but I'm not dual booting.

Simply using ssd as card to switch OS.

🐧🤙

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Question 3 should have an N/A option.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

this may not be the place for it but ima shoot anyways.

Linux...pros cons.

I have a tweaked windows 10 and its pretty fast what would linux bring to the table, because from what I can tell linux users when they have windows like to disable all telemetry and windows spyware. which the act of obsesively removing gives me the willies as to why they are paranoid about the government watching.

39 minutes ago, jre84 said:

Linux...pros cons.

I have a tweaked windows 10 and its pretty fast what would linux bring to the table, because from what I can tell linux users when they have windows like to disable all telemetry and windows spyware. which the act of obsesively removing gives me the willies as to why they are paranoid about the government watching.

No... They're using my hardware and internet for their promotion or ad or functions that i don't need and their endless updates that we don't need or time for it.

In Linux i can have perform better and nothing else is running without my say so.

And for updates i can set it my way.

I use windows pretty much exclusively for gaming. MacOS+vms for my work dev machine, and Pop! for my personal dev machine. I also run proxmox and a couple flavors of vms like ubuntu 22, and CentOS for compute stuff like compiling and math work.

I'm currently using Windows 10 on my desktop.  I've been using Linux for a few years on my work laptop and it has been working great for me.  I mostly play single player games.  When Windows 10 goes EOL, my plan is to build a new Linux based desktop.  My son plays multiplayer games with his friends and Linux can be problematic for that.  I'm going to change my current desktop to Windows 11 and give it to him, so he won't have any problems.

My system runs Linux. I frequently find myself helping out relatives who run Windows 10.

Not sure which I use most, but I have a Zephyrus G14 running Windows 11, and a 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro running macOS 14.3

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]

Ditched windows 3 years ago on my gaming PC, entering my 4th years driving Manjaro. 
EOS for my laptop. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well the poll doesn't have enough options. I use Windows, Linux and BSD. My router is BSD so I use it just as often if not more a Linux but for different reasons.

Windows 10 IoT LTSC 2021 and LTSC 2019 for my main systems, but I use Windows 7 whenever it's not a nightmare to get it working on a particular device.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see a lot of wannabe linuxes lmao

Imagine trying to look knowledgable and pro by just naming a dozen different distros.

Using Debian 12 on my ThinkPad. And sometimes i am forced to use Windows. That's it.

27 minutes ago, Attilavsq said:

Nice to see a lot of wannabe linuxes lmao

Imagine trying to look knowledgable and pro by just naming a dozen different distros.

Using Debian 12 on my ThinkPad. And sometimes i am forced to use Windows. That's it.

Ok, Wannabe adult.

🛌

On 2/7/2024 at 11:46 AM, jre84 said:

Linux...pros cons.

I have a tweaked windows 10 and its pretty fast what would linux bring to the table, because from what I can tell linux users when they have windows like to disable all telemetry and windows spyware. which the act of obsessively removing gives me the willies as to why they are paranoid about the government watching.

I only use and have installed over 100 Linux for other users. Linux Mint, Cinnamon desktop is reliable, easy to use, powerful.

The "reliable" bit especially as MicroSoft keep destroying people's systems during updates. Yes a few years back my partner's computer running Windows  was wiped entirely. She now only uses Linux.

Also no anti-virus needed and possibly the most important, FREE.

I spent more time on my android phone than everything else honestly 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I mostly use OpenBSD on my computers. It's a pretty straightforward base system that is fairly well put together and mostly "just works" on the hardware that I have. Of course, it doesn't have great software compatibility, so I keep Debian around as well for when I need to use something that doesn't work on OpenBSD. My work computers all run Ubuntu--IT only lets Ubuntu or CentOS (RIP) machines on the network at the moment, otherwise I'd rather be using Debian there too.