What to do with broken laptop?

I have a laptop with a desktop i9-10900k and an mxm 2080super but the laptop needs a new motherboard which is at least 400$ not including any labor costs or other costs if I had somone replace it, but idk if I should try to sell the laptop or the components to try to save money for a pc but I'm not sure how I would go about that, just looking for recommendations on what I should do

Edited by Firedrago22

You can salvage the 10900K and 2080S (by using something like this) or sell the device as is. Personally both are still relevant today and I would try to use them.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If the motherboard in the laptop is bad I'd scrap selling it, that's going to be really the only value aside from maybe the display that is even worth trying to sell. If you do sell the laptop, with a bad motherboard and in a for parts condition the amount you'd get probably wouldn't be worth the time and money spent listing it or parting it out. 

Either pay the $400 for the new motherboard, or put that money towards a new computer. The choice is yours. $400 to $600 with parts and labor to get a 10900k rtx 2080S system back up and running isn't a crazy amount  in my eyes. It would cost a lot more to build or buy a new computer with better specs than that.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

A used gaming laptop is already not worth much when its working so i dont know that selling it is worth your time. I would consider if its worth the repair over buying a new system. Its already broken to so you could consider trying to fix it yourself if its possible with tools available to you (though do it safely and remove as many parts as possible in the event it doesnt go well). If selling it is your only option i would consider holding onto anything you can use in your build from it to reduce costs and sell the rest "as is". 

I'd say the SSD and Ram (if detachable) have value. Maybe the battery if it was in good shape. Maybe the screen.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Honestly 400-600 to get that back up and running aint bad. Easily sells for 1000 plus. Probably wont even sell for 400-500$ listed as broken.

Id say make the investment, keep the broken board too and sell both the laptop and then the broken board on its own after the laptop is sold for a hundred or so as these are not too uncommon to be bought for parts and repairs.

Also! You can often get the board repaired by a shop that does board repair and usually thats less than 400$ if nothing major is wrong with it which often is the case.

Sell your mxm 2080 super, carry the 10900k over to a cheap z590 build.

High end mxm cards retain a lot of value for people doing upgrades.

Then part out the crucial bits, stuff that breaks on other laptops, display/lid assembly and the heatsinks.

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

Then part out the crucial bits, stuff that breaks on other laptops, display/lid assembly and the heatsinks.

Iv never tried to sell somthing like that, what do you think the best way to go about it would be?

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

This is good advice, you could get close to the cost of building a cheap system with whats left.

6 minutes ago, Firedrago22 said:

Iv never tried to sell somthing like that, what do you think the best way to go about it would be?

Ebay is my go to for this kind of thing, sell as is no return. I generally test items first and sell as is tested, helps get a few extra dollars, I can accept with an mxm card this is hard (ive no way of testing it personally and i tend to have a lot of crap laying around for testing). 

But display, keyboard, chassis parts, if its a reasonably recent laptop they're worth reselling 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

26 minutes ago, Firedrago22 said:

eBay, looks like about $600

IMG_1673.thumb.jpeg.97e2bede947ace356f5a6410eae2d11e.jpeg

I mean that alone will cover the cost of building a z590 based tower including a desktop 2080 super. 

best way would be to part it out imo like what has been posted .the mxm card alone is worth quite a fair bit . using a similar laptop as you though(10900F), i guessing its oem by clevo ..