Intel Mobile CPU Naming... Explain?

Hello everyone.

Spoiler

After the recent boring unveils of AMDs 8040 mobile CPUs (which are basically the same as the pretty cool 7040 ones) and a lack of anything new, I wanted to look into what Intel has currently to offer, and if it is worth investigating the laptop options with them.
So, I know that they've changed some naming scheme, but when I heard that I didn't care to learn more about it.... which changed now.

I've looked at this page which is "A Brief Guide to [Intels] Latest Processor and Naming Updates". I didn't get it within 10 minutes of reading it. Can someone please summarize what is important to look for?

Information I'm looking for:
What are the most modern nodes Intel is using in mobile CPUs currently?
What are the processors with this technology actually called? (like actual names. Like 7840U or the... 13 idk 60P ?)

What in these naming conventions do I actually have to be mindful of? (like 12th Intel no Us or no 7020s with AMD)

Any further notes about what you feel is important to know about the current intel offerings?

Thanks for your help!

- J

Edit:

Oh, and it would also be nice to know which of the CPUs you named are actually gonna be used in Laptops. Because some SKUs just seem to only exist as numbers.

What power class are you looking at? The newest generation depends on the power class. For high power its 14th gen hx chips. Otherwise its meteor lake series 1 chips.

1 hour ago, Cannot_think_of_good_name said:

What are the most modern nodes Intel is using in mobile CPUs currently?

Intel 4 in Meteor lake,

What are the processors with this technology actually called? (like actual names. Like 7840U or the... 13 idk 60P ?)

Intel has a list here. Some are much more common, like the 155h.

So basically, up till 14th gen Intel followed this naming(taking 12th gen i7 as example) :

There's a i7-1260U, i7-1260P, i7-12700H,

12 in their name indicates 12th gen

The letter in the end Indicates the power consumption. U-Low power, P-middle ground between U and H, H-high power.

When you say power it usually refers to the wattage of the CPU. Higher power cpu s usually have higher number of cores and high clocks.

There is also a HX and HK.

HK are unlocked H processors usually with slightly higher clocks.

HX are Desktop cpus that have been repurposed for mobile usage.

Core Ultra:
Got rid of the generation indicator from the name
eg: Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 165H Processor and Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 155H Processor

as for the number "165" in the name is usually used to differentiate  between processors with slight clock variations.

The 165H boosts to 5ghz, while the 155H boots to 4.8ghz.

7840U

7840U is a AMD cpu but also seem to follow the same scheme for letter U,H but their first number is not indicative of the generation instead they name it by the year (which is just a marketing tactic)

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Just to expand on @Srijan Verma's allready brilliant explanation with a couple of images.

AMD's CPU naming scheme.

The First Digit: The Year It Unveiled

Intels new core ultra.

Specs for Intel Core ultra CPUs.

I hope it helps to better visualize it for you.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

TL DR:
Thanks for not using Snake Oil, Intel!

@Bagzie

Thanks for the visualisation. I am adding a higher resolution one: (source)

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.cce6b9b6c69e638a647cc0bed804ec65.jpeg

The Ryzen one I was aware of and understood.

Spoiler

(Originally I was all for it until I figured out that manufacturers would use that to blind unaware customers... meaning secondhand market is a mess, because ppl think they got the new and shiny, but have a generation old CPU. Also 7000 as a searchcriterium for new laptops is useless)

@Srijan Verma
Thanks a LOT.
I'm going to try to summarize and categorize it even more, trying to get it into a manner I will be able to use/remember. Maybe it helps others, too. Please everyone feel free to correct me (if I'm wrong) or suggest additions/changes (when you have a better idea) !

HX and HK ultra, overclockable, basically desktop(-replacement) parts

Intel Core Ultra X 1YY H/U -> 1 new numberisation, denoting Meteorlake? So Lunar/Panther Lake will be Ultra X 2YY H/U?

All Meteorlake (Q4'23/Q1'24) parts have 8+2 E-Cores.

All U parts have 2 P-Cores and 4 Graphics Cores - NON Arc.

U parts ending in 4 are very low power, so Ultra X 1Y4 U are "9 W", ending in 5 Ultra X 1Y5 U are "15 W"

Lower tier H parts Ultra 5 1YY H have 4 P-Cores and 7 Graphics Cores - ARC,

Higher tier parts Ultra 7/9 1YY H have 6 P-Cores and 8 Graphics Cores - ARC.

Higher second number Ultra X 1YY U/H denote a frequency advantage.

All parts seem to have the same Neural Processor/Engine, maybe clocked differently. (For when that will start being important, probably when that MS "AI PC" 40+ TOPS requirement becomes relevant.) Apart from 9 W (no non-LP DDR5) all memory capabilities are equal.

"BUT WAIT" I hear you scream. Weren't there supposed to be NON-ULTRA CPUs? (As if Intel did anything so lame...)

Spoiler

TLDR: "Products formerly Raptor Lake" (aka NON-ULTRA) are Raptorlake Refreshes with 200-400 MHz boostspeed bumps.

Spoiler

New NON-ULTRA CPUs... Couldn't find it, so I made it and copied Intel's colours... good enough I guess? - Better than deserved imo. (I was wrong: page 28 or page 6)

image.png.c42564e2d5d523fe3da251471a3a4350.png

Raptotlake comparison: (source)

image.thumb.png.8992599946e54a3e34183f4476d797bf.png

Can't be arsed to do the same with Core-N, non-Core-N, Silver&Gold or Celron.

NEW Question: What are LPE cores and does a buyer need to think about them?

My current understanding how to go about looking for Intel Notebooks:

Spoiler
  • Do I care about integrated Graphics? -> Yes: Intel H or AMD with 6/780M (Check how good Intel H actually is though)
  • Do I intend to stress the CPU for extended periods of time? -> Yes: Compare performance in application/game I run for Intel H, older Intel H and AMD HS (Zen 3/4)
  • I'm interested in Raptor Lake U -> Non-Ultra Chips should be comparable and slightly better
  • Hopefully the Ultra 5 125U is going to be cheap. Higher is better, don't care for 5 or 7, just biggest number that's still cheap.
  • I care about AI -> Haha, I'm hilarious.
  • I care about Thunderbolt -> Intel or select AMD
  • I care about battery life -> Check reviews of actual laptops with these chips.