google wants to put ads in your fridge and more

AlexGoesHigh

because the excessive spam found in most places aren't enough

Google's ad ambitious may reach further than you think. In a newly revealed letter to the SEC, the company said it could someday be serving ads on "refrigerators, car dashboards, thermostats, glasses, and watches, to name just a few possibilities," as part of a larger point about breaking out mobile ad revenue. As the definition of "mobile" expands, the company argued, it could encompass nearly any device that isn't a conventional computer.

The idea is particularly relevant after Google acquired Nest for $3.2 billion earlier this year, along with its next-generation thermostat and smoke detector. Together with Google Glass and the company's newly formed automotive partnerships, Google has already made inroads into most of the categories mentioned. Of course, none of those platforms are serving ads yet, but the letter suggests that advertising is still very much a part of Google's long term plans.

seriously i wouldn't buy a fridge with a screen on it in the future because of this, i mean FFS, its a fridge, i don't want to look at it with a bloody ad about yogurt every time i serve myself some, i have enough already in my phone and PC

Source: The Verge

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Soon their will be ads in our underwear!

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Soon... AdBlock for your refrigerator. SERIOUSLY come on Google, I get it that you need ads for income but some things shouldn't be done and this is it. Unless it will be  subject related (food related)... but even then.

I wouldn't mind if it had some sort of function to tell you if something is in there and if its on sale. Don't really need ads though.

*sees you are eating a lot of junk food*

"Get fit 4 less! With these easy steps to weight loss!"

*sees you are eating x food*

"Sale on x at Tesco, 2 for £2"

*sees you are drinking pepsi*

"You may also like the great cold taste of Coca-Cola!"

Now what would be cool, if it would just get Amazon/Tesco/ASDA/etc.. to order automatically order things I'm getting low on, then have it delivered to me in the evening after work. OR, to keep it ad related, allow it to find me the cheapest place to do my weekly shop using my patterns in what I usually fill my fridge with.

And where there are intrusive ads, there will be adblock ^^

I could see this useful for those times im just aimlessly staring into the fridge looking for something to eat :P

Or buy a non smart fridge certain things in life are best kept simple. I.E "You have no beer left" Me -  Nooooooooooooooo!!!!

Just as long as I don't get a "You can skip this add in x seconds" before I can open my fridge. Otherwise fuck you: I'm ad-blocking your stupid shit just like I do mostly everywhere with some noted exceptions (like linustechtips.com)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Actually, I could see this partially useful.

Getting low on a food item, ad pops up saying sale for X item at Y store, or automatically making you shopping lists, but showing where the sales are at the different stores (stores that pay can show that they have a sale, or something of the like).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Ads in cars? so that's why they are working on the self driving cars, so you can't sue them for showing ads that distract you while driving.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Great , :mellow:  now i don't have be in front of my PC to know where i can get P**** enlargment pills at 10% discount while scooping for a bowl of ice-cream.

:ph34r: shadow puppet

Details separate people.

now I have to watch the 30 second ad before opening the fridge.

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

The only ads i would be fine with are if they are specials on food.

o boy, i can just see it now!

"Hey, a large pizza would fit in this spot perfectly! Here are local delivery services! Searches powered by Google!"

"Your cheese looks moldy, would you like some coupons for cheddar?"

"If you had thick cream, you could make creamy mashed potatoes. Would you like to search for recipes?"

would be kinda creepy don't you think?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch