Limited ethernet speed

A_New_Account

Hello.

I have an msi B460m-a pro, which has a Realtek rtl8111h gigabit lan, and when do I connect it to internet by an Cat 5a cable, it only shows 100Mb/s of speed (on speedtesters online it only shows 90Mb/s), even when I have hired 800Mb/s internet speed.

I don't know if I'm being limited by the motherboard (the Realtek gigabit lan) or if it's a setting in the BIOS/Operating System I didn't set up correctly.

I would suspect you're limited by the modem/router instead. Does it have a gigabit port?

Some routers also have power save options that can limit speed. Check if yours has something like that.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

19 minutes ago, A_New_Account said:

Hello.

I have an msi B460m-a pro, which has a Realtek rtl8111h gigabit lan, and when do I connect it to internet by an Cat 5a cable, it only shows 100Mb/s of speed (on speedtesters online it only shows 90Mb/s), even when I have hired 800Mb/s internet speed.

I don't know if I'm being limited by the motherboard (the Realtek gigabit lan) or if it's a setting in the BIOS/Operating System I didn't set up correctly.

90mb/s on a speed test = 720mbit (im assuming you mean you have 800mbit internet)

if thats not the case then you may just need ethernet drivers

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /

Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

49 minutes ago, A_New_Account said:

Hello.

you're probably limited by a 2nd intermediary connection. If you have a old router or modem most of them only support up to 100 MBPs unless there is an option on your router to enable faster port speeds

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

yeah, there's a difference betweens MB/s and Mbps. Mbps (mega"bit" per second) is the moniker that ISPs use cuz of the inflated looking speed and download speed is in MB/s (mega"byte"s per second). So you're probably paying for 800Mbps which is 100 MB/s. 8 bits in a byte. 

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

The network card is capable of gigabit speeds ( 1000 mbps , 125 MB/s ) 

Any ethernet cable (Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a) is capable of transferring 2.5 gbps (2500 mbps) or more, as long as the wires are arranged correctly at both ends of the cable.

In order to get 1000mbps, all the elements in the chain must be capable of 1000 mbps - the ethernet card is, the cable is ... the connector on the switch or modem or device the ISP gave you must also be capable of 1000 mbps.

I'm assuming you're on Windows, so there's a few ways you can check what speed your ethernet is connected at. Here's a handy article that walks you through several ways of checking: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-check-network-adapter-speed/

If you're not connected at 1000mbps/1gbps, then either your ethernet cable is bad, or your router/modem/switch does not support gigabit ethernet.

If it does say that you're connected at gigabit speeds, then you're being limited by your ISP. I think this is likely the case since the math of your reported speeds checks out. 800mbps (MegaBits per second) is expected to get you about 90MB/s (MegaBytes per second). There are 8-bits to a byte, and when you factor in some protocol overhead, 90MB/s seems about right.

Thanks, I'll try all of that tomorrow when I get back to my home.

About the limit of the router, I tried with another pc with and Cat 5a cable and it showed me the 800Mbps I expected. So then, tomorrow i'll check that article as, yes, I'm using windows.

12 hours ago, A_New_Account said:

Thanks, I'll try all of that tomorrow when I get back to my home.

About the limit of the router, I tried with another pc with and Cat 5a cable and it showed me the 800Mbps I expected. So then, tomorrow i'll check that article as, yes, I'm using windows.

Did you try a different cable on the problematic PC in the router port you confirmed works okay with the other PC?

Marginally performing cables can cause problems on some network adapters but not others and dropping to 100Mbit is typically what would happen.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7