trying to install stuff on a linux server and it keeps coming up with an error

Hi. Earlier today i found an old MacBook and decided to try and turn it into a server. I have debian installed onto it with one issue, I can't connect it to ethernet and I don't know how to connect a linux machine to wifi. Now, I don't know if this will effect anything, but I am coming up with one issue when trying to install things. The terminal keeps spitting out the error, "why is my debian install saying "media change: please insert the disk labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 12.4.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20231210-17:57' in the drive '/media/cdrom/' and press [Enter]" The code I'm putting in to make it do that is, "sudo apt install curl" How do I fix this so it lets me install curl and other things that I may need in the future?

11 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

How do I fix this so it lets me install curl and other things that I may need in the future?

Are all installs failing with this message?

11 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

I don't know how to connect a linux machine to wifi.

What DE are you using? I have gone through a few Linux versions on my laptop and I just use the GUI to get on WiFi.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Are all installs failing with this message?

What DE are you using? I have gone through a few Linux versions on my laptop and I just use the GUI to get on WiFi.

I'm sorry, I'm new to Linux, can you define DE?

13 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

The code I'm putting in to make it do that is, "sudo apt install curl" How do I fix this so it lets me install curl and other things that I may need in the future?

You need an internet connection to install stuff. If your not connected via Ethernet or WiFi then you have no internet connection.

1 minute ago, MrAuto said:

I'm sorry, I'm new to Linux, can you define DE?

DE is Desktop Environment. A few examples would be GNOME and KDE.  I know with GNOME the WIFi settings should be in the upper right hand corner, where the clock on all that is. That being said, not all WIFi adapters play well with Linux. Some times you have to install drivers as they might not be included with the installer.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

wait, i think i know what you mean. I was following a tutorial and it said to disable all the options like gnome and to only enable ssh server and standard system utilities

(8) EASY Budget Minecraft Servers With Crafty - YouTube and 17 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge 1_17_2024 8_53_31 PM.png

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You need an internet connection to install stuff. If your not connected via Ethernet or WiFi then you have no internet connection.

DE is Desktop Environment. A few examples would be GNOME and KDE.  I know with GNOME the WIFi settings should be in the upper right hand corner, where the clock on all that is. That being said, not all WIFi adapters play well with Linux. Some times you have to install drivers as they might not be included with the installer.

I have a wifi network, I just don't know how to connect to it. So how do I connect? I do not have an ethernet port by the way

13 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

wait, i think i know what you mean. I was following a tutorial and it said to disable all the options like gnome and to only enable ssh server and standard system utilities

Re-enable gnome cause that's the DE and then connect to WiFi with the regular Internet settings in the settings menu. Then you can disable it if you want.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Re-enable gnome cause that's the DE and then connect to WiFi with the regular Internet settings in the settings menu. Then you can disable it if you want.

sorry to keep asking questions, but how would I enable it and then disable it. Would I need a fresh install?

3 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

I have a wifi network, I just don't know how to connect to it. So how do I connect? I do not have an ethernet port by the way

I only know how to do that in the GUI. If the last photo is right you dont have a GUI installed. That makes things very hard because you then have to figure out how to do in via the command line. Im not an expert in the Linux command line, which is why I have GNOME on my Ubuntu based Plex server.

3 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

sorry to keep asking questions, but how would I enable it and then disable it. Would I need a fresh install?

Since you're getting a handle on the situation with Linux you should start with a fresh install and NOT disable anything until you know what it does. You should have no issues with using it like a normal laptop at first. 

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Since you're getting a handle on the situation with Linux you should start with a fresh install and NOT disable anything until you know what it does. You should have no issues with using it like a normal laptop at first. 

okay. the tutorial I'm following is to turn this into a server. Can I still do that with gnome installed, or does it just turn it into a laptop? Probably a stupid question, but I don't wanna break this before it has a chance to work

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

and how would i disable it once I have it enabled, and will it still have me connected to wifi afterwards?

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I only know how to do that in the GUI. If the last photo is right you dont have a GUI installed. That makes things very hard because you then have to figure out how to do in via the command line. Im not an expert in the Linux command line, which is why I have GNOME on my Ubuntu based Plex server.

when installing do I also have to have Debian Desktop Environment Ticked?

7 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

okay. the tutorial I'm following is to turn this into a server. Can I still do that with gnome installed, or does it just turn it into a laptop? Probably a stupid question, but I don't wanna break this before it has a chance to work

All a server is, is a machine that shares its resources with others. Having GNOME will not cause any issues. My Plex server has GNOME enabled, because Im not that proficient in Linux command line. My advice to you, if you are not proficient at the Linux command line then you probably should have a DE enabled.

Just now, Donut417 said:

All a server is, is a machine that shares its resources with others. Having GNOME will not cause any issues. My Plex server has GNOME enabled, because Im not that proficient in Linux command line. My advice to you, if you are not proficient at the Linux command line then you probably should have a DE enabled.

and should i have Debian Desktop Environment enabled too?

Just now, MrAuto said:

when installing do I also have to have Debian Desktop Environment Ticked?

Unfortunately Ive never used Debian or gone thru its install. Im a Ubuntu guy. Try and see is all I can say.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Unfortunately Ive never used Debian or gone thru its install. Im a Ubuntu guy. Try and see is all I can say.

okay! I'm in the middle of the install now, but thank you guys so much for your help! If I have more problems should I return to this thread or make a new one?

24 minutes ago, MrAuto said:

okay! I'm in the middle of the install now, but thank you guys so much for your help! If I have more problems should I return to this thread or make a new one?

You could return to this thread if the problems you started this thread about have not been solved. But I am hoping after your setup is done, you don't have these problems anymore.

Primary PC:

GNOME isn't detecting my wifi now. In the settings it's saying that I don't have a wifi adapter plugged in and or turned on

1 minute ago, MrAuto said:

GNOME isn't detecting my wifi now. In the settings it's saying that I don't have a wifi adapter plugged in and or turned on

Thats a driver issue. Sounds like either the driver is not included with the installer or the WIFi adapter is not compatible with Linux.

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats a driver issue. Sounds like either the driver is not included with the installer or the WIFi adapter is not compatible with Linux.

could this be because its a mac and I installed Linux onto it? And could I solve this by buying some sort of ethernet to USB adapter? 

okay. I got drivers installed, everything was working, but then it just wouldn't connect to the wifi. Now whenever I open up Network settings, it says to contact my software vendor and that my network manager needs to be running, but idk how to make it run.