Samsung Unpacked 2024 - Galaxy S24 Announcement

LAwLz

My workplace just announced that they've signed a deal with Samsung. To stay on topic, it would make the S24U 230€ cheaper...

I'm... Perplexed...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I just had to use translation on some text on a product and my god Google Lens is a stupid app with horrid results. It decided to flicker text in and out of translation constantly, trashing translation all over the product's label like a murderer cutting newspaper words and sticking them on a paper, if you just shifted the phone slightly and after 10 seconds of fighting it, it started losing focus every half a second so it was going in and out of focus every half a second. The hell?!

I had to use Bixby Vision then and not only it perfectly translated all the text from Italian to English, it focused perfectly and lined up text in readable lines even though the text was on a curved bottle. I rarely use Bixby Vision, but it really surprised me how well it did. And this is current one on S23 Ultra. If they somehow made it better in OneUI 6.1 with this new "Ai" everything stuff, it's gonna be pretty damn cool. Any info on when OneUI 6.1 is planned? I'm guessing it'll be after S24 units start shipping to users...

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I just had to use translation on some text on a product and my god Google Lens is a stupid app with horrid results. It decided to flicker text in and out of translation constantly, trashing translation all over the product's label like a murderer cutting newspaper words and sticking them on a paper, if you just shifted the phone slightly and after 10 seconds of fighting it, it started losing focus every half a second so it was going in and out of focus every half a second. The hell?!

That would be live translation, it's been a thing on google translate for I want to say half a decade but I'm not too sure. Easiest way to to get a proper translation would be to just click this button

image.png.5262a17777985094eb31b095fada02b1.png

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

11 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

That would be live translation, it's been a thing on google translate for I want to say half a decade but I'm not too sure. Easiest way to to get a proper translation would be to just click this button

image.png.5262a17777985094eb31b095fada02b1.png

I know it's there, it's just that it does so poorly for something you'd expect Google to be really good at. And in the end Samsung's Bixby (Vision) ended up being better.

There are new benchmarks and articles popping everywhere and the results are quite impressive for the Exynos. For those interested, make sure to check this video and the other recent videos of this channel: 

I also came across this article (in German) yesterday, and I was particularly interested in the battery results: https://chip.de/news/Kleine-Schritte-nach-vorne-Das-Samsung-Galaxy-S24-Plus-Ultra-im-ersten-Testfazit_185114289.html Spoiler alert: the battery life is also pretty solid on all 3 phones.

So the Exynos is overall a bit worse in terms of raw performance but very close to the SD, and it even beats it in many, many cases. The S24+ is the one with better cooling the S24 throttles more but I'm still going for this one as I've been waiting for a small phone for so long.

I wish Samsung would create the Pixel phones, and let Google handle the software experience. We had bost of both worlds 🙂

51 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I wish Samsung would create the Pixel phones, and let Google handle the software experience. We had bost of both worlds 🙂

I think Google would do that if they hadn't sunk so much into making their phones. They literally created their own processors. They should have merged before the pixel 6

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

There are new benchmarks and articles popping everywhere and the results are quite impressive for the Exynos. For those interested, make sure to check this video and the other recent videos of this channel: 

I also came across this article (in German) yesterday, and I was particularly interested in the battery results: https://chip.de/news/Kleine-Schritte-nach-vorne-Das-Samsung-Galaxy-S24-Plus-Ultra-im-ersten-Testfazit_185114289.html Spoiler alert: the battery life is also pretty solid on all 3 phones.

So the Exynos is overall a bit worse in terms of raw performance but very close to the SD, and it even beats it in many, many cases. The S24+ is the one with better cooling the S24 throttles more but I'm still going for this one as I've been waiting for a small phone for so long.

That sounds promising.

I will remain optimistic but skeptical until we get some more tests, preferably from the likes of geekerwan.

I do think it's funny seeing the absolute meltdown at Reddit /r/Android right now though. A bunch of people claiming benchmarks don't matter (even though I never saw that when everyone agreed Exynos was worse) and some are even going so far as to say it's a conspiracy theory by Samsung. That they are deliberately ruining the Snapdragon results in an attempt to make Exynos look better.

Seems like a lot of the people who previously said Exynos was shit because of performance and power have now shifted to "Exynos is bad because of them modem", even though we don't have any tests for that yet. Just a bunch of assumptions.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Call me weird, but I prefer Samsung's software over Google's.

24 minutes ago, Fasterthannothing said:

I think Google would do that if they hadn't sunk so much into making their phones. They literally created their own processors. They should have merged before the pixel 6

The Tensor processors are designed and manufactured by Samsung. 

Google asks Samsung to make some modifications like using standard arm designed GPU cores instead of the AMD GPU cores, and include the Google-designed NPU, but other than that they are pretty much just rebranded Exynos chips.

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I do think it's funny seeing the absolute meltdown at Reddit /r/Android right now though. A bunch of people claiming benchmarks don't matter (even though I never saw that when everyone agreed Exynos was worse) and some are even going so far as to say it's a conspiracy theory by Samsung. That they are deliberately ruining the Snapdragon results in an attempt to make Exynos look better.

Seems like a lot of the people who previously said Exynos was shit because of performance and power have now shifted to "Exynos is bad because of them modem", even though we don't have any tests for that yet. Just a bunch of assumptions.

You nailed it. I remember getting downvoted just earlier this week for saying that maybe Samsung knew what they were doing and should be at least given the benefit of the doubt and the chance to show us what they've been working on. I also saw that modem argument being thrown here and there, which doesn't make sense because the other Exynos like the one in the S23 Fe don't have any issue like that. For many, Exynos had to be bad no matter what.

7 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

let Google handle the software experience

😂😂😂

Thank god it ain't so

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Damn it... I ordered the S24U

The S24 went on sale yesterday, and I got some more news.

65% of the preorders were for the S24 Ultra model.

The S24 lineup has "double-digit percentage increase" in preorders compared to the S23 lineup.

A channel I haven't heard of before called PBKreviews has videos uploaded where he does teardowns of the S24 lineup. He gave both the Ultra model and the standard model a repairability score of 9/10 on his scale (which should not be confused with for example iFixit's scale).

S24 video

S24 Ultra video

The areas where it didn't get the highest scores were:

1) Screen replacement. It's very difficult to remove the screen without breaking it, although if you want to replace the screen it's probably because it's broken to begin with.

2) How the parts are laid out internally to help with repairs could have been slightly better.

However, it still got a good score in those categories, not just perfect.

More tests of the Exynos 2400 are out and overall they seem pretty positive. Performance is good and efficiency seems good too.

In GSMArena's battery test the S24 with the Exynos 2400 scores better than the Snapdragon 8 gen 2 equipped S23 (12:06 hours vs 11:27 hours). It remains to be seen how it stacks up against the Snapdragon 8 gen 3, but beating last year's Snapdragon is pretty good.

Someone on Reddit also made a list of which features work locally and which ones require online processing and which ones runs locally on-device.

According to an interview with Samsung's CEO, "80-90%" of AI feature will be ported to older devices.

image.png.cf87b79a2613e9e13ca90f881bd044fc.png

In the same interview, the Samsung CEO also said that they have not decided what the fiscal future of Galaxy AI after 2025 looks like.

In other words, they have not decided if it will become a paid feature, of it will continue to be free, or some other model.

My guess is that it hinges on what Google says, since the online features uses their servers.

One week in with the S24U.

Beside my current beef with samsung shop (1 item missing in my order), and the annoyance of having to go to the store and buy another brick cause the phone didn't come with one.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. Still going through setting it up as i want it to be. Wondering why the hete on samsung software suite, i find them to be actually better than Google's offering. Specially Wallet and Notes.

The S-Pen is as good as i remembered it to be on the Note 2 and the new features it enables are very welcomed, using it as a camera shutter remote is an amazing idea.

Having such a chunky phone (its really thick) and no headphone jack... logic meet window i guess.

What else... nothing else comes to mind for now

On 1/31/2024 at 4:07 AM, LAwLz said:

A channel I haven't heard of before called PBKreviews has videos uploaded where he does teardowns of the S24 lineup. He gave both the Ultra model and the standard model a repairability score of 9/10 on his scale (which should not be confused with for example iFixit's scale).

S24 video

S24 Ultra video

The areas where it didn't get the highest scores were:

1) Screen replacement. It's very difficult to remove the screen without breaking it, although if you want to replace the screen it's probably because it's broken to begin with.

2) How the parts are laid out internally to help with repairs could have been slightly better.

However, it still got a good score in those categories, not just perfect.

I occasionally browse his vids and he makes decent teardowns of phones of a pretty wide variety (price point, brand, etc.).

I got my Ultra on Friday and so far, I'm super happy with it. I got it thru my carrier (T-Mobile), so I'm currently in the process of flashing it to the U1 image.

I'm so glad it has a flat screen, as I've always hated the curved displays.

that list makes me hate android more, "can't have these features if x or y" also they don't fully want to mention where it stands with a lot of *? so not part of the phone... but a lot of android services are exclusive, not inclusive or that helpful and why apple can have more to gain from this. or if google takes action to include basic stuff.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

that list makes me hate android more, "can't have these features if x or y" also they don't fully want to mention where it stands with a lot of *? so not part of the phone... but a lot of android services are exclusive, not inclusive or that helpful and why apple can have more to gain from this. or if google takes action to include basic stuff.

Which features are you referring to?

Also, there are plenty of caveats on Apple devices as well, if that's what you're implying. Chances are you're just more aware of those caveats already so it feels like there is less to look up for you.

Just got my S24 as a minor upgrade from my S22. Got it mostly due to the better battery life, so far so good.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga