Push/Pull really worth it?

Macer

In the attached picture I have setup my gaming PC with a new AIO in a Push/Pull configuration. 

I'm wondering if this configuration is worth it or just overkill? 

I have 3 intake fans behind the plate to the right that helps push air over the MB, combined with 3 intake fans to the mesh front. Should I keep or get rid of the Push/Pull?

My son will put the extra fans to good use if I remove 😀

20240105_225553.jpg

17 minutes ago, Macer said:

In the attached picture I have setup my gaming PC with a new AIO in a Push/Pull configuration. 

I have 3 intake fans behind the plate to the right that helps push air over the MB, combined with 3 intake fans to the mesh front. Should I keep or get rid of the Push/Pull?

20240105_225553.jpg

You might see a degree or two temprature drop if you just go for push, thats about it.

It is quite overkill for most systems.

The fans would be better used in your sons build if they would improve airflow quite a bit 😄

25 minutes ago, Macer said:

20240105_225553.jpg

You have 3 fans between the radiator and the case?  Not seeing them, but it may be the pic.

Short answer, not worth it.  It can provide better air movement for thicker radiators but a standard 360 is more than fine.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

11 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

You have 3 fans between the radiator and the case?  Not seeing them, but it may be the pic.

I've 3 fans above the rad that you can't see in the picture. 

Think I'll remove them. 👍

Push/pull is really only necessary in a few specific situations:

• Thick radiators
  • Weak fans
  • Restricted airflow

In the first case, push/pull makes a ton of sense. In the second case, you're better off buying three good fans and using the weak ones for airflow elsewhere in your system (Arctic P12s are spectacular and cheap, if you can live without LEDs). In the third situation, I mean, don't mount your rad right behind a tempered glass panel.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Macer said:

I have 3 intake fans behind the plate to the right that helps push air over the MB, combined with 3 intake fans to the mesh front.

if I understand your description correctly plus the attached image, you have 6 intake fans and 4 exhaust fans. With all that airflow, I doubt you'd notice any changes in CPU temp by adding even more fans.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I run push/pull for two reasons. To ensure I am getting the most airflow through my rad as possible with what I have, and to provide more airflow to the components inside of my case.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

you are better off moving the aio to where it shoud be;  the front 🙂 

On 1/15/2024 at 10:54 AM, Macer said:

20240105_225553.jpg

Based on your description and the photo, you don't have push- pull set up. That's a Corsair 4000 or 5000, right? You have 3 fans mounted behind the plate on the right side of the case, three more on the front, and the 3 on the AIO, plus the rear one.

Ideally, the AIO should be in front, intaking air with the strongest fans you have because of the resistance of the rad. Two fans on top, mounted to the rear. Then experiment with the 3 on the side to see how many are actually helping.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Based on your description and the photo, you don't have push- pull set up. That's a Corsair 4000 or 5000, right? You have 3 fans mounted behind the plate on the right side of the case, three more on the front, and the 3 on the AIO, plus the rear one.

Ideally, the AIO should be in front, intaking air with the strongest fans you have because of the resistance of the rad. Two fans on top, mounted to the rear. Then experiment with the 3 on the side to see how many are actually helping.

I also have 3 above the AIO, they're hidden above the 5000 case. Thinking of removing those. 

I had the AIO mounted to the front. I found little to no difference in temps of the CPU, the GPU however was a few degrees warmer. But TBH this test was minimal. Might give it another go.

20240117_004100.jpg

11 hours ago, Macer said:

I also have 3 above the AIO, they're hidden above the 5000 case. Thinking of removing those. 

I had the AIO mounted to the front. I found little to no difference in temps of the CPU, the GPU however was a few degrees warmer. But TBH this test was minimal. Might give it another go.

20240117_004100.jpg

Ah, so there IS a push pull. Your OP didn't make that clear. The improvement with it depends on the fans you're using. Do a benchmark, then take off the 3 on the bottom and benchmark again. Then put them on and take off the top ones and run a benchmark. Let us know what you notice. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:10 PM, RevGAM said:

Ah, so there IS a push pull. Your OP didn't make that clear. The improvement with it depends on the fans you're using. Do a benchmark, then take off the 3 on the bottom and benchmark again. Then put them on and take off the top ones and run a benchmark. Let us know what you notice. 

I'm actually going to upgrade to a 4090 with a i9 14900k. I'll move the Fans around then. It will most definitely run hotter 😁

if there an imorvment is VARY SMALL.... like 1c maybe... if you dont got like 65mm+ rads its not needed even then i dont think i was needed. just spend the money from fans on more rads you get way more c drop.

really good fan can drop temps a bit but is it better then cheap fans and 2 rads vs 1 rad and good fans.

t30 fans are like $100 witch you can buy a rad for that so...🤷‍♂️ even $5 fans on it would be better.

but if you want it for looks that go ahead why not. some people like the look for fans on top and bottem or they want to fill in the case more.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

if there an imorvment is VARY SMALL.... like 1c maybe... if you dont got like 65mm+ rads its not needed even then i dont think i was needed. just spend the money from fans on more rads you get way more c drop.

really good fan can drop temps a bit but is it better then cheap fans and 2 rads vs 1 rad and good fans.

t30 fans are like $100 witch you can buy a rad for that so...🤷‍♂️ even $5 fans on it would be better.

but if you want it for looks that go ahead why not. some people like the look for fans on top and bottem or they want to fill in the case more.

Think Ill remove them and try the rad at the front of the case. 

2 minutes ago, Macer said:

Think Ill remove them and try the rad at the front of the case. 

font is slighty better for cpu temps but worse for gpu and top better for gpu and wose for cpu but by like 1-2c so...🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 1/15/2024 at 10:11 PM, NorKris said:

you are better off moving the aio to where it shoud be;  the front 🙂 

Why do ya think the AIO is wrong being on top

1 hour ago, Macer said:

Why do ya think the AIO is wrong being on top

"wrong" is a strong word, its more that its "a user inflicted higher temps" 

its well known where it should be for the best cooling:

image.png.80f9f7798c921237323dfd041f21d746.png

in the front

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

"wrong" is a strong word, its more that its "a user inflicted higher temps" 

image.png.80f9f7798c921237323dfd041f21d746.png

in the front

I think case design and fan locations need to taken into account when deciding a rad location.

In my corsair 5000D case there are 6 intake fans to the front and side, in particular the 3 intake fans at the side of the case are designed to blow air directly over the MB when the fan plate is in place, This helped compensate against the few degrees higher CPU temperature you normally get from a top mounted rad from what I seen, albeit I tested this with a 240mm rad two years ago. I've not tested the 340mm I have now. 

When the rad was mounted to the front it blows hot air directly at the GPU and my test reported higher GPU temperatures while the CPU reported little or no difference. 

I'm about to update the CPU/GPU in the next few weeks, think I'll run these tests again. 

1 hour ago, Macer said:

I think case design and fan locations need to taken into account when deciding a rad location.

In my corsair 5000D case there are 6 intake fans to the front and side,

then its easy to find a spot for it, and very hard to belive the GPU temps vent up 

GPUs are easy to cool, CPUs not so much 😮 

1 hour ago, Macer said:

In my corsair 5000D case there are 6 intake fans to the front and side, in particular the 3 intake fans at the side of the case are designed to blow air directly over the MB when the fan plate is in place, This helped compensate against the few degrees higher CPU temperature you normally get from a top mounted rad from what I seen, albeit I tested this with a 240mm rad two years ago. I've not tested the 340mm I have now. 

When the rad was mounted to the front it blows hot air directly at the GPU and my test reported higher GPU temperatures while the CPU reported little or no difference. 

I'm about to update the CPU/GPU in the next few weeks, think I'll run these tests again. 

Just a point but you bought the AIO to cool your CPU, not your GC...If you're concerned about your GC's temps, you can get a waterblock for it, or better fans (maybe). The difference between front and top mount (best temps) and tube position is a few degrees C (which is a lot in F). Check out the MSI results to see what NorKris means. Over the next couple of months, I'm redoing my testing to confirm the MSI results.

48 minutes ago, NorKris said:

then its easy to find a spot for it, and very hard to belive the GPU temps vent up 

GPUs are easy to cool, CPUs not so much 😮 

I'm only talking a few degrees, nothing I was worried about. I can't remember the numbers as it was a few years ago now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to my new build in the next fews weeks. 😊

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

GPUs are easy to cool, CPUs not so much

CPUs are easy to cool too if you choose wisely 😁

😁

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

8 hours ago, NorKris said:

If we're using something that's not relevant to computers like cars maybe the radiator on a computer should be hanging off the edge like in a space station.

ToughSF: All the Radiators

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

CPUs are easy to cool too if you choose wisely 😁

😁

if u pick an easy one to cool. sure 

59 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If we're using something that's not relevant to computers like cars maybe the radiator on a computer should be hanging off the edge like in a space station.

overlooking the condescending part; yes you are right, having it external and as cool as possible is better 

Just now, NorKris said:

overlooking the condescending part; yes you are right, having it external and as cool as possible is better 

I wouldn't look over the condescending part. That's the whole point. What's right in 1 application isn't right in all applications.

2007 Caterpillar R1700G Loader For Sale | Caterpillar, Heavy equipment, Fire suppression

See where the radiator is here? The rear of the machine. Let's start suggesting that too.

We could also place the radiator right in the middle of the case over the motherboard.

This just looks amazing! Rear mounted radiator, huge fuel cell that works with the spare tire ...

Just because *most* cases are designed for radiator in the front doesn't mean they all will be. Location can change depending on needs, parts and fitment issues. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?