Living without a cellphone of any kind. Is it possible?

3 hours ago, Smithfield said:

I had trouble figuring out how to extract "self-extracting" .exe files (self-extracting my ass!).

Well the way those work usually is a Windows Executable that extracts an archive embedded in itself. Hardly a surprise if a Windows Executable will run on anything other than Windows, no?

Sure, it may work under Wine on Linux, but Wine is a marvel of engineering we're lucky to have, and should not be taken for granted.

2 hours ago, Smithfield said:

What I was trying to extract wasn't even a Windows application. Also, how do I convince you all that it is actually the phones themselves that pissed me off, not my parents?

Kinda sounds like you pissed yourself off by setting yourself up with unrealistic expectations.

3 hours ago, Smithfield said:

Honestly, the real reason this thread exists is because of a problem that was the last straw. I had trouble figuring out how to extract "self-extracting" .exe files (self-extracting my ass!).

Self-extracting EXE files are zip files with pkzip/winzip or some other self-extracting runtime affixed to it. You can open exe files exactly like zip/jar/rar files. If you had a problem with this, then you aren't ready to be tinkering with things on a phone.

Self-extracting files only work on the OS they were intended for. Windows will be exe files, MacOS has support for a lot of archive formats out of the box (something Windows only had zip support for since around win98, and not always in a clearly working way) but they always worked differently.

Android devices are just frankenstein OS's built from a Linux kernel but a propietary userland that is unique from a desktop userland which might contain standard GUI applications. Mobile phones are usually setup in a way to protect the user from their own stupidity, where as a desktop Linux assumes the user is comfortable wrecking their device if they make a typo. Windows and MacOS are a somewhere in the middle, with MacOS treating the user like an idiot, but accessing things as Root is straightforward as Linux/BSD OS's. Windows users aren't treated like idiots, but they're often treated with contempt and the OS resetting things between OS updates.

Smartphones are designed to be treated as content consumption appliances, not like full-fledged desktops. Trying to change that is a pointless exercise which will only lead to frustration.

Why is writing to a system folder so important? What difference does it make? Do you store all your documents in C:\Windows on your laptop?

Also, describing "using smartphones within the scope they were designed for" as "normie" tells me all I need to know about your attitude around this. You think you're special, and that know better than Google about how Android phones should work. You're frustrated that you can't mash Android into the shape you want and you're disgruntled because your parents got tired of buying you phones to break, so now you're looking for us to validate your tantrum. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, Smithfield said:

What I was trying to extract wasn't even a Windows application. Also, how do I convince you all that it is actually the phones themselves that pissed me off, not my parents?

oh don't worry, we all know phones piss you off, we just think that hatred is misplaced out of ignorance.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Smartphones are designed to be treated as content consumption appliances, not like full-fledged desktops.

i literally use my phone much more as desktop than i use my desktop as desktop...

my desktop is frankly a glorified gaming console and n o t h i n g more.

i hate the limitations of windows on pcs, smartphones are so much more convenient and android way more modern (i don't use google playstore tho, that thing is horrible) 

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Why is writing to a system folder so important? What difference does it make? Do you store all your documents in C:\Windows on your laptop?

yh, there is no reason to touch system folders either on pc or on phone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thread locked & cleaned. Doesn't look like this discussion is going to progress any further. Removed the off topic discussion about Elon Musk. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450