Wi-Fi

Hendricks3

Hi good afternoon to all i generally have a problem i thought i was gonna solve with a different internet service and router now i have 2 internet services and the problem persist now the problem is that i could restart my router right now and wi-fi would perform good no drops no slowness or problems at all but maybe 2 or 3 days down the line it starts misbehaving slow loading buffering wi-fi dropping and so on anyone can give me a solution to this and it will happen on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz i have also an echo dot and multiple smart bulbs connected to my wi-fi just to provide more info.

P.S at this point i dont care about punctuation i just wanna explain myself and get my point across lol. Sorry yall

Are you using your ISP's provided router or your own? What make/model?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Are you using your ISP's provided router or your own? What make/model?

ISP Arris DG3450

50 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

ISP Arris DG3450

1. What settings do you have for WiFi on this gateway?
  2. Where do you keep this gateway? Hopefully, not in a cabinet or in the basement. It needs to be high up in a central location of the house for adequate wireless coverage.
  3. Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer, or similar, to check how busy the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectra in your neighbourhood are.

Do you live in an apartment complex or other high density neighbourhood? What you're describing sounds like wireless interference.

13 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. What settings do you have for WiFi on this gateway?
  2. Where do you keep this gateway? Hopefully, not in a cabinet or in the basement. It needs to be high up in a central location of the house for adequate wireless coverage.
  3. Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer, or similar, to check how busy the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectra in your neighbourhood are.

Do you live in an apartment complex or other high density neighbourhood? What you're describing sounds like wireless interference.

What do you mean wifi settings?

no its in my attic where my studio is

What app do you recommend?

no i live in a house though there are 2 more houses next to mine

3 hours ago, Hendricks3 said:

What do you mean wifi settings?

Per-band channel? Channel width? Etc.

What app do you recommend?

WiFi Analyzer for Windows. WiFiman or Net Analyzer on Android.

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:

Per-band channel? Channel width? Etc.

WiFi Analyzer for Windows. WiFiman or Net Analyzer on Android.

I’d have to check as im not sure

and will try and report back

This is what i found on my wifi settings

IMG_3175.jpeg

IMG_3177.jpeg

8 hours ago, Hendricks3 said:

This is what i found on my wifi settings

And the wireless survey?

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

And the wireless survey?

I will do it in a bit as my main pc has no wifi so ill have to dust off my old laptop

This is what i got from the analyzer

You also need to run the scan for the 5GHz band.

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

You also need to run the scan for the 5GHz band.

How?  Cuz on the picture says 5ghz and its the name of my 5ghz ssid

32 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

How?  Cuz on the picture says 5ghz and its the name of my 5ghz ssid

At the bottom of the Window, click '5GHz'. Your screenshot has 2.4GHz channels. You've likely given both signals the same SSID.

43 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

At the bottom of the Window, click '5GHz'. Your screenshot has 2.4GHz channels. You've likely given both signals the same SSID.

Okay will do gimme a sec

1 hour ago, Hendricks3 said:

So at this point what do i do??

1. If the DG3450 allows you to, give each band a different SSID so that you know which band you’re connecting to, then preferentially connect to the 5GHz signal. The 2.4GHz frequency in your area is quite busy and your signal is already overlapping with your neighbours’. If they are simultaneously active on their WiFi, it will slow down yours and theirs.
  2. If you have no legacy devices that would use 802.11b/g, set the 2.4GHz radio mode to 802.11n with a channel of 5 or 6 and width of 20MHz. Wide channels on 2.4GHz will cause too much overlap.
  3. Set the 5GHz radio mode to 802.11ac or 802.11n/ac with a channel width of 20/40MHz. Even though you have a neighbour’s signal on channel 44, the signal strength is low enough to not cause an issue.
  4. If you have the ability to change the WiFi security/encryption, use something like WPA/WPA2 with AES.

After doing the above, have your clients forget the old network(s) and reconnect, preferably to the 5GHz SSID. Anything on 2.4GHz is expected to encounter slowdowns due to the interference going on. However, if these clients are low-bandwidth IoT clients, for example, it doesn’t matter.

4 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. If the DG3450 allows you to, give each band a different SSID so that you know which band you’re connecting to, then preferentially connect to the 5GHz signal. The 2.4GHz frequency in your area is quite busy and your signal is already overlapping with your neighbours’. If they are simultaneously active on their WiFi, it will slow down yours and theirs.
  2. If you have no legacy devices that would use 802.11b/g, set the 2.4GHz radio mode to 802.11n with a channel of 5 or 6 and width of 20MHz. Wide channels on 2.4GHz will cause too much overlap.
  3. Set the 5GHz radio mode to 802.11ac or 802.11n/ac with a channel width of 20/40MHz. Even though you have a neighbour’s signal on channel 44, the signal strength is low enough to not cause an issue.
  4. If you have the ability to change the WiFi security/encryption, use something like WPA/WPA2 with AES.

After doing the above, have your clients forget the old network(s) and reconnect, preferably to the 5GHz SSID. Anything on 2.4GHz is expected to encounter slowdowns due to the interference going on. However, if these clients are low-bandwidth IoT clients, for example, it doesn’t matter.

Thanks ill try that 2.4 i dont care as much i mainly use it for smart lights and my smart fridge washer and drier