Is FAT32 ok for a TrueNAS SCALE iso on USB flash drive?

I just read through the installing scale page on the TrueNAS website and it doesn't say what file system to use on the USB drive when installing the OS. Searched a bunch or forums and couldn't really find anything. First time using this OS so I just want to get it right. 

Is this for the install media, or what's going to be your permanent boot drive?

Installing TrueNAS onto a USB flash drive isn't recommended.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Yeah just for the install iso file. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough. Using a 1tb ssd to install OS on.

7 minutes ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Yeah just for the install iso file. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough. Using a 1tb ssd to install OS on.

FAT32 should work, or you can use a tool like Rufus to automate the install drive creation process as much as possible. (This will erase your drive, so copy anything important off of it first!)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

FAT32 should work, or you can use a tool like Rufus to automate the install drive creation process as much as possible. (This will erase your drive, so copy anything important off of it first!)

Accidentally made a copy of my post. Still waiting on 6 hard drives out to show up ( currently have 2). Figured I would install OS now so I have some time to play around with it before creating the array. Thank you for you're quick answer. 

You may also take a look at Ventoy, which allows you, once installed, to just copy an ISO to an USB-stick, boot from the stick and launch the ISO. This also works with multiple files, for exmaple 3 different OS installers and/or formatting and/or testing programs.

(Sidenote for Win11 installs: Ventoy has an option to disable TPM and hardware checks in its bootable menu)

Edited by mistermodcreator

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Typically for the bootable USBs you use programs like rufus or dd the image to the drive. You can't just format the drive and copy the iso file like you would with any other file.

Yep, the .iso file has it's own filesystem defined within it, you just have to copy it to a drive (note drive, not partition or extant filesystem).