How did you guys get your first PCs

Flight1sim

A "top of the line" HP prebuilt that I got in 2007 or so. It had a GTX 210. Enough said.

My first actually high end machine which I got is the one in my signature. Bought by my parents, assembled by me and used by everyone :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Still using a crappy family "donated" PC (145amd) but it will not break my passion for once getting a uber grade high end pc,

"A DAY MAY COME WHEN I WILL BUY A DUAL XEON 48 CORE PC, BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY... UNTIL THEN I SHALL FIGHT!"

Details separate people.

I used my own money. I had saved for years and had basically begged my parents to at least let me purchase my own laptop. I eventually was able to buy a fairly decent HP laptop that I still use every now and then. It has a quad core i7 that still manages to be extremely powerful and can perform CPU intensive tasks extremely well.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

My dad bought me my first pc when I was like 10 - 11 it was 1998/1999

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I got my first of my own from a school yardsale it was and old ibm 386 it was like 1996 at the time so it was terribly outdated by then but it was still my own. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

My sister got a fucking shitty laptop that broke after 1 year and i bought myself a cheaper desktop that still works, the dual core 32bit athlon was getting a bit old though for newer titles...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Did you guys save up or beg or just not get a PC?

My parents don't believe in giving me money, instead I have to show that I am responsible and interested in learning about things besides school.

That's the best way to get your first PC. It feels so much more rewarding knowing you worked hard to get all the components together, and when it boots up for the first time... It's like seeing a newborn child :'(

I just recently built my first PC though, about 3 months ago. Specs are in my sig :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

My uncle had a bunch of computer parts all over and he let me and my cousin fool around with them and we build two pretty crappy computers, but not terrible I guess. I was like 10 or 11. It had 1gb of ram, a p4, and a Nvidia Geforce2 MX400. It ran Half life 1 great which was all I wanted it for anyway at the time.

CPU: Intel i5 4670(non K) Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb) @1600Mhz HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC WF3 ~1293Mhz max boost clock~ PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair 300R Windowed Edition OS: Windows 8.1

My parents always had a computer in the house, so I mainly used that growing up.

But for my main PC I pretty much sold a bunch of stuff I had laying around and bought the parts. Now I just sell my old parts when ever I want to upgrade. 

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

The first pc I had to myself to do whatever I wanted, and what sparked my interest in tech was a hand me down from my parents. It was an old Compaq Presario in the early 2000's.

image.jpg

It's not this exact one, but it looked just like it. It had an AMD Athlon cpu, and I don't remember anything else about it. I loved it. I wish I still had it, for shits and giggles.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

I have the same one still I just did a case mod with it :)

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

as long as I can remember there has always been a computer in our house but when i probably got a computer to myself it would have been around 2003-4 when I was around 5-6 years old when dad bought everyone a computer because we were starting school and he thought they would help with our education. they were pentium 4 computers with CRT monitors which were brand new at the time. We probably had those computers for 4-5 years with slight upgrades every now and then when they became unusable or broke.

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

I was going to buy a cyberpower PC, and then from a forum called d2jsp I was told otherwise lol

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Said it was my present for upcoming Christmas and my birthday and sold it as an investment for my future , ie good for college. It worked, my dad shelled out the $950 to get the parts from newegg when I was 16... 6 years ago and my friend helped me build it. I am currently using that same cpu, e8400, chasis - antec 300, and ram with various other parts obtained over the years.

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

My family first got a computer that was given to us by our neighbor at the time and had windows 3.1 on it. My first computer that I had in my room i bought for like $10 at a high school parking lot sale. it was originally owned by my brothers friends dad, so he put the upgrades he took out back in it when he sold it since we were the once buying it, and it was also running windows 3.1

Absolutely first? 6 year old laptop from my dad. It wouldn't stay upright, had missing keys, had no wireless connection and would shut down every once in a while.

First desktop build? Saved money from work for 4 months.

I suppose that it's better than NO PC. Kinda.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

I suppose that it's better than NO PC. Kinda.

Defintely :P

I used it for java programming in high school. It wasn't perfect but it was enough to get by.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |