Titan-Z not dead, nVidia CEO thinks you're silly. Plus Tegra 4/4i lessons learned.

What you are doing is basically writing what i did and then changing the source, they both prove the same thing 

That is total BS dude and you know it.

I read the link on my feed this morning, thought it was interesting, searched to see if it was already posted and then posted it here.

I've edited the title and the post content.  There is no need to be so accusatory and butt-hurt about it.  You're not so awesome that I wanna plagiarist your post, despite having a power level of over 9000 :)

That is total BS dude and you know it.

I read the link on my feed this morning, thought it was interesting, searched to see if it was already posted and then posted it here.

I've edited the title and the post content.  There is no need to be so accusatory and butt-hurt about it.  You're not so awesome that I wanna plagiarist your post, despite having a power level of over 9000 :)

im not being butt hurt, its just past experience being an influence. Each to their own in the end, the mods are normally the deciding factor anyways, im not trying to be hostile its just the bitter truth that sometimes occurs, ive been in your position multiple times and over time ive gains experience etc.Over 9000 and im not even a super saiyan, hell krillion hasnt even died yet

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You forget that people who buy 4K screens and actually need 4K for productivity and colour correction type stuff don't buy the Samsung cheap 4K monitor they will buy the Asus 4K which is £2999. nvidia has priced this well if that is what they have aimed their Titan Z at. 

Why should they get the TITAN Z instead of 2-3x Titan Blacks?

The card just doesn't make any sense.

TITAN Black SLI would be not only $1000 cheaper but also faster.

RTX2070OC 

3904932487_54cce78f13.jpg

So his justification for the card being so expensive is that 4K monitors are still 3-5k?? Hahahahahahahahaha xD Also if it's a "compute" & "professional" card then why would they market it as a super gaming card? Nvidia ya dun GOOFED. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

So his justification for the card being so expensive is that 4K monitors are still 3-5k?? Hahahahahahahahaha xD Also if it's a "compute" & "professional" card then why would they market it as a super gaming card? Nvidia ya dun GOOFED. 

Marketing is marketing, so unless it's being beamed into your retinas it's to be ignored no matter who it is. 

Assuming a business exists to be profitable, if it takes 100k (arbitrary) to design, test, and revise a card, how much will the 100 people that buy it need to pay? They don't just to the back room and hack some alien technology off of a UFO, it takes money to make things, so you have to pay for that in addition to the material. They also need to be well binned chips to meet TDP standard. The justification is common sense and the fact that businesses don't exist for the sake of altruism. 

Lol, they probably lose money on these cards. They're just buying their seat to king of the hill. 

Error: 410

The 295x2 costs less then half of what a titan z costs. So for it to have shitty DP performance, it would have to perform less than half as good, right? Dream on...

It performs worse than half as good at DP tasks.......

Why should they get the TITAN Z instead of 2-3x Titan Blacks?

The card just doesn't make any sense.

TITAN Black SLI would be not only $1000 cheaper but also faster.

Workstation racks. A titan z takes less space and power than 2xtitan black. So when you want a powerful DP workstation, its more efficient to get 4xtitanz than 8xtitan black, and when you are at a level where you need that kind of power, you have the money for it believe me.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

At that level you may as well buy a rack of GPU's and share them out with load balancing.  But I do agree with your point @LukaP.

What odd is that it isn't marketed that way.  I'm surprised it doesn't come with a free copy of Batman or CoD.

Also unless you're maybe rendering animated movies I don't see why you'd need more than a Quadro K5000 or two.  But I presume this is my experience talking from the industry I work in.  Or lack there-of of other potential industrial applications.

The K5000 or 6000 is more than capable of displaying enormously complex structures, models and wells, even in full 3D.  Graphical processing - while intensive - is happily covered.  The real meat of the process come down to memory and processing power and network bandwidth.  Hence why we chuck 12-core cpu's and 192GB of memory in those blades on a 10gig network :)

No one ever complains that the graphics are slow.

P.S.  Checking this out, the Titan-Z potentially is a far superior option.  The K6000 uses a GK110 chip but utilising DP calculation and error checked VRAM.  Still, it appears that having two GK110's on a single PCB for almost half the price of a full Quadro...  Maybe corporations won't buy in to it, but smaller businesses and pro home workers, absolutely.  http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/  This makes for quite an interesting read, in particular a later post "I decided to have a go at finding the straps for GPU 1 on my card, with both success and failure as the result. I was able to locate them and modify the GTX690 to be a dual core Quadro K5000, but I made the stupid mistake of running it without a heatsync on the bridge chip in the middle of the two while testing. The chip quickly died from overheating when I got excited and let Linux boot into the graphical environment, and there goes my $1000 video card for the greater good"

nvidias just starting to piss me off. 3 years its been and they keep briging the same fucking GPU out. but this one has more cudas. yes its a good business plan and shit but ffs, im tired of seeing the GK110 chip. honestly

Isn't the R9 295x2 just as good as a Titan Z for half the price $1500 vs $3000 ?? If you were going to drop $3k wouldn't you just get 2 of the R9 295x2 ? The Titan Z would have to be 2x faster than the R9 295x2 for the Titan Z to cost twice as much ? GTX 780 TI SLI is also extremely fast as well for a lot less than a Titan Z.

GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Z-performance.png

The R295X2 may bench better in 3DMark but computationally it's left eating dust, comparatively speaking.  Or that's the theory anyway...

Plus a Titan-Z doesn't require you to harness 100% of the Sun's energy to power it.

The R295X2 may bench better in 3DMark but computationally it's left eating dust, comparatively speaking. Or that's the theory anyway...

Plus a Titan-Z doesn't require you to harness 100% of the Sun's energy to power it.

True, it only needs 85%. Sorry, had to say that.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Isn't the R9 295x2 just as good as a Titan Z for half the price $1500 vs $3000 ?? If you were going to drop $3k wouldn't you just get 2 of the R9 295x2 ? The Titan Z would have to be 2x faster than the R9 295x2 for the Titan Z to cost twice as much ? GTX 780 TI SLI is also extremely fast as well for a lot less than a Titan Z.

the titan Z is a monster at DP compute, and the 295x2 is nowhere near that, not even 50% of it, so Z is still king of the hill for compute

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

For a gamer. For someone who works and needs DP it is amazing. 295X has shitty DP performance.

Price or Marketing either way you look at it gamer or professional one of them is illogical.

Nvidia's marketing for the Titan Z was terrible.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

True, it only needs 85%. Sorry, had to say that.

85 is just a number.

Price or Marketing either way you look at it gamer or professional one of them is illogical.

Nvidia's marketing for the Titan Z was terrible.

how is it illogical for prodessional. Amazing DP performance for far cheaper than a Quadro or Tesla.

how is it illogical for prodessional. Amazing DP performance for far cheaper than a Quadro or Tesla.

Marketing as a gaming card is illogical if you are targeting professionals.

Cost is illogical if you are targeting gamers

R9 7950x | RTX4090

well targeting professionals doesnt need marketing since they know what they want and need. and by targeting gamers, the few that can afford it will buy it too

You just killed your own argument by explaining the exact reason it HAS a market. It caters to someone who needs/wants both in a single card.

Its May 22 and still no Titan Z. Looks like team green is hanging their head in shame! Hahahaha

You just killed your own argument by explaining the exact reason it HAS a market. It caters to someone who needs/wants both in a single card.

Ok then if you think so. The fact it was delayed would show Nvidia needed to rethink something about the card.

Call me when the market for gamers who need workstation compute power is a relevant market. Since it's delayed Nvidia obviously did some market research and realised oops we screwed up somewhere. Marketing, Price or Power.

They either over estimated their target audience, completely missed their target audience or aren't happy with performance. Given Nvidia was show boating the card for so long I would imagine its one of the first two.

I'm not hating on Nvidia as I generally couldn't care less about GPU wars, its just obvious to anyone who isn't blind something is wrong with the card be it performance market size or cost(which I would still put under market considering price determines who you can actually market the card to).

R9 7950x | RTX4090

But can the Titan-Z even do true 10bit color...? I think you still need a Quadro for that.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I guess you didn't watch Nvidias keynote where they unveiled Titan Z.

But can the Titan-Z even do true 10bit color...? I think you still need a Quadro for that.

No, they are not offering the same feature set as the Quadros or Teslas, but if all you need is DP perfomance, Titan Z is for you. Before this, people had to buy much more expensive quadros.

While I see your point here, people needing those expensive 4K screens for productivity will likely be better off with a productivity card or two like the K5000, or even an AMD solution, still coming in cheaper.  Not to mention they still are focussing this on the gamer market and those with the insatiable graphics lust.  And who are we kidding, those people will buy this anyway.

It's obvious one oway or the other that nVidia know what they have built this and who it is for and, they don't expect your average or even enthusiasts to consider it.  I feel the majority of the butt-hurt is coming from people the card was never intended for in the first place.

A titan Z is still better than a k5000 though, even a k6000 is inferior in terms of raw GPU horsepower.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Ok then if you think so. The fact it was delayed would show Nvidia needed to rethink something about the card.

Call me when the market for gamers who need workstation compute power is a relevant market. Since it's delayed Nvidia obviously did some market research and realised oops we screwed up somewhere. Marketing, Price or Power.

They either over estimated their target audience, completely missed their target audience or aren't happy with performance. Given Nvidia was show boating the card for so long I would imagine its one of the first two.

I'm not hating on Nvidia as I generally couldn't care less about GPU wars, its just obvious to anyone who isn't blind something is wrong with the card be it performance market size or cost(which I would still put under market considering price determines who you can actually market the card to).

You have to understand that just because you don't see a purpose for it, doesn't mean that it doesn't have one. Am I getting one? lol no way. But I'm sure there are people who want it and are waiting for this specific release.