Mining Power Supply Burning Smell

jojokoko

so this is the second power supply to give such a behavior

both are from FSP

i have two 1200w power supplies on my mining rig running 2x 3090 , 2x 3080 ti and 1x 3070 ti

the total components should need 2174 / 2 = 1087w and since am wiring the cards and risers equally i should be consuming less than 1200w so i should be fine ! dunno !

out of nowhere yesterday the older 2 years power supply started smelling liked weird smokey smell

and now i can mine only with 3 cards which are not connected to that power supply

when i try to mine the other two cards the PC will reboot and the PSU will start smelling again !

the smell seems to be coming from INSIDE the PSU enclosure

is this PSU done and should i throw it away and get a new one ? why on earth did it die if am consuming less wattage than i need !?

thanks,

3 minutes ago, jojokoko said:

so this is the second power supply to give such a behavior

both are from FSP

i have two 1200w power supplies on my mining rig running 2x 3090 , 2x 3080 ti and 1x 3070 ti

the total components should need 2174 / 2 = 1087w and since am wiring the cards and risers equally i should be consuming less than 1200w so i should be fine ! dunno !

out of nowhere yesterday the older 2 years power supply started smelling liked weird smokey smell

and now i can mine only with 3 cards which are not connected to that power supply

when i try to mine the other two cards the PC will reboot and the PSU will start smelling again !

the smell seems to be coming from INSIDE the PSU enclosure

is this PSU done and should i throw it away and get a new one ? why on earth did it die if am consuming less wattage than i need !?

thanks,

If you bought them new, from a reputable seller, then there is almost definitely still a considerable warranty term left on the devices.

If they still have warranty, send the smelly ones to warranty.   Most likely some electrolytic capacitors are leaking electrolyte and that electrolyte gets burned on heatsinks inside and you're smelling that.  Less probable, something's shorted inside causing the insulation on the wires to melt and eventually you're gonna have a short circuit inside the power supply. Or some other plastic stuff may be melting causing that smell ... anything melting is not good.

If you don't feel like sending them to warranty and you're willing to open them up, then open them up and take some pictures of the insides, I or others may be able to point you in the right direction ( replacing parts, fixing stuff etc)

8 hours ago, jojokoko said:

? why on earth did it die if am consuming less wattage than i need !?

thanks,

Because things just die sometimes. There doesn't need to be a catastrophic event to cause premature failure. Send it for warranty and continue on mining.