First time LTT post..DAS attached to a minipc via USB C to create a NAS. vs Older Synology NAS.

This is my first time posting in a forum, feel free to correct everything. What's the better option here. Connecting a DAS via usb c to a Mini PC and run truenas or buy a older synology nas (Synology DS215+) for example. This will mainly be used as a Photo Dump that we still want network access to. 

Im worried that the Synology has reached its life expectancy and would be a hassle to use. Ive also read that attempting to use a DAS as a NAS is asking for trouble due to you constantly running data over the usb. 

Any info or takes would be appreciated! Thanks! 

Yes it's usually not recommended to run multi disk arrays over USB. If you build custom it's better to get one of those cheap ITX NAS boards with actual SATA connections.

That means you need a case and PSU too, but that replaces the DAS box so...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

@Kilrah Thanks! Do you know why? Is it a connection stability thing? Or does raid not like usb? Thanks for the response and info! 

Just connection stability. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running a NAS 24/7 using a USB DAS and mini PC since September. I have had no issues with USB connectivity, and while this is just one example, I have had very little issue with it all. TrueNAS Scale has had no issue with it, and hasnt even recognized that it is connected to the machine over USB. Level 1 Techs did a video on it, Here. Hope this helps!

IMG_0548.jpg

@Beondal Oh this is amazing! Thank! Are you getting pretty reliable speeds? I finally got everything into my new rack and am down to the wire to make a decision! 

10 hours ago, ACampbell said:

@Beondal Oh this is amazing! Thank! Are you getting pretty reliable speeds? I finally got everything into my new rack and am down to the wire to make a decision! 

I have done this for my family and it works well. 

Just need to make sure the host pc uses an Intel nic or at least not Realtek.