Astro A50s XLR Microphone Monitoring

Bris_Husband

Hey I need some advice! There’s an aux jack on the back of my astro bay station and I hooked it up to my Yamaha Mixing console. When I plug the cables in, the headphones play a terrible, constant static noise. Does anyone have experience on what could be causing this?!! 

they are wireless but i have them set up directly to my pc via usb but then I have the base station connected to my mixing console as well. It plays the audio from my mic through the a50s wirelessly but there’s a lot of static 

Could you specify which yamaha mixer you use (01V96i user here)?

I have the MG10XU. It’s not the mixer because if I hook them up to a pair of traditional wired headphones, there’s no static. 

4 minutes ago, Bris_Husband said:

I have the MG10XU. It’s not the mixer because if I hook them up to a pair of traditional wired headphones, there’s no static. 

I just needed to know what your working with to fully understand the situation and give you proper recommendations. 

To me your problem sounds like you have a ground loop. Is the noise 50/60hz, high pitched or more like white noise?

As a first experiment could you run both mic as well as pc audio output through the mixer into the aux port (Without connecting the headphones to the pc)? 

10 minutes ago, SG-O said:

I just needed to know what your working with to fully understand the situation and give you proper recommendations. 

To me your problem sounds like you have a ground loop. Is the noise 50/60hz, high pitched or more like white noise?

As a first experiment could you run both mic as well as pc audio output through the mixer into the aux port (Without connecting the headphones to the pc)? 

It’s very much like a constant vibration kind of noice. when I plug traditional headphones into the same monitoring 1/4 jack, they work fine. I don’t know exactly what you mean by running pc audio through the mixer. I still get audio from my pc to the astro a 50s but there’s a vibration noise playing on top of it. I can hear my mic as well. 

14 minutes ago, Bris_Husband said:

I don’t know exactly what you mean by running pc audio through the mixer. 

Connect the aux in L/R to the mixer output and the aux Mic out to mixer input.

Aux Out ->Mixer -> Pc Mic

PC Audio -> Mixer -> Aux In

(I not absolutely sure this is possible with your mixer)

Supply power to the base station from a batter bank.

Just read the manual of your mixer. This sadly won't work...

Edited by SG-O

After thinking about the situation a bit more here are the only ways I think this can be fixed:

Use an USB Isolator

Use a XLR isolator

Use a SPDIF/Toslink to RCA D/A converter that has no grounding problems an connect it the following way:

Headphones -(SPDIF)-> D/A -(RCA)-> Mixer

or

Headphones -(SPDIF)-> D/A -(RCA)-> Adaper -(XLR)-> Mixer