Texas: 19 year old teen faces 5-Life in prison for baking weed brownies

nicehat

This chaos.. i like it..

Heath-Ledger-in-his-role-as-The-Joker-in

everyone's right.. right?

Details separate people.

He's being charged, not convicted. When he gets convicted, then this goes from stupid prosecutor to a serious problem with the system.

With that amount of stuff on hand he wasn't just making them for himself. He was selling the cookies. While the charges are trumped up I doubt they will actually stick like that. At least I hope not. I'd like to think that not everyone in Texas is a moron. 

original-9.jpg

Apparently in Texas, everything is big. Even judicial stupidity and jail sentences.

Jacob Lavoro, a 19-year-old from Round Rock, Texas, was charged with a first degree felony because he used hash oil instead of marijuana, allowing the state to weigh the brownies as a whole — including the sugar, cocoa, butter and other ingredients — to calculate the weight of the drugs.

Police searched Lavoro's apartment, where they allegedly found 660 grams — or 1.45 pounds — of baked goods (six bags of cookies, nine bags of brownies) along with 16 ounces of marijuana and $1,675 in cash.

Hash oil, classified as a "Penalty 2" controlled substance under Texas law, contains a higher concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

The teen's father, Joe Lavoro, called the possibility of his son spending life behind bars for a hash brownie recipe “outrageous."

"Five years to life? I'm sorry, I'm a law abiding citizen. I'm a conservative. I love my country. I'm a Vietnam veteran, but I'll be damned," Lavoro said. "This is illogical. I'm really upset, and I'm frightened, I'm frightened for my son."

"That's higher than the punishment range for sexual assault, higher than the punishment range for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon," Jamie Spencer, legal counsel for NORML's Texas chapter It's kind of crazy."

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Meanwhile elsewhere in Texas, a judge sentenced a Texas teenager (age 16) to 10 years’ probation in a drunken-driving crash that killed four people to go to a rehabilitation facility paid for by his parents.

4 people dead: 10 years probation, no jail time, his parents spend money on rehab. His defense: the kid's wealthy parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility. The expert termed the condition “affluenza.”

That's right, he was too rich to understand what he had done and too rich to go to jail for it. Meanwhile, a guy selling pot brownies could get life.

God Bless Texas

Weed Brownies: http://khon2.com/2014/05/16/texas-man-facing-possible-life-sentence-for-pot-brownies/

16 yr old teen with "affluenza": http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/us/texas-affluenza-teen/

16 ounces and $1600 in cash

This is 100% deserved. He isnt just baking using a little bit of pot.

The 16 ounces is what he had on him. They added onto that the total weight of the brownies (including butter, cake mix, etc) because they were mixed with hash oil. 

On top of that, he's 19. 2 years ago he was a minor and was legally deemed without the mental right-wrong capacity of an adult. Now, 2 years later, he can get life in prison? The theoretical detention span is worse than that of a sex offender or violent criminal. 100% no problem with that though? What about the kid that got scott free after running over and killing 4 people? This is ok by that standard? 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Quite frankly Americas relationship with drug laws needs to be reassessed.  For the sentence to be more than what a rape or manslaughter charge would be is ludicrous.

I'm in Canada. I could murder someone and get away with probably 25 years.

This guy made some pot brownies and is getting life.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

I'm in Canada. I could murder someone and get away with probably 25 years.

This guy made some pot brownies and is getting life.

Different countries have different laws and cultures.

He knew what he was doing was illegal. He wasnt just baking one or two brownies. He had 16 OUNCES of weed.

He isnt getting life. He hasnt been sentenced yet. Has he even been to trial yet?

Different countries have different laws and cultures.

He knew what he was doing was illegal. He wasnt just baking one or two brownies. He had 16 OUNCES of weed.

He isnt getting life. He hasnt been sentenced yet. Has he even been to trial yet?

My point remains the same. Worse crimes get softer punishments? And if I did murder someone, 25 years would probably be the maximum sentence. Same thing here, life is the maximum possible sentence.

And again, this is all because he used hash oil as opposed to regular marijuana.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

Same exact laws over here fellas.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)