Oculus Rift Heading to Chuck E. Cheese's

hal9001

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-rift-chuck-cheese-s-vr,26825.html

"Now here's an unexpected bit of news: the Oculus Rift head-mounted display will make an appearance at three Chuck E. Cheese's over the next six weeks. This will just be a test to see if parents buy into letting their kids float around in a virtual world. The first establishment will be in Dallas, Texas, followed by 15 more locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The headset will then be offered in six Orlando, Florida and eight San Diego, California locations.

So what does Chuck E. Cheese's plan to do with the Oculus Rift? The device will be part "Chuck E. Cheese's Virtual Ticket Blaster Experience," which transports kids into a virtual Ticket Blaster with the mouse of the house himself. Standing in a circular booth and donning the HMD, players have thirty seconds to collect as many virtual tickets as they can. These tickets can be converted into real ones and used at the prize counter.

"Kids today have unprecedented access to game consoles and tablets," said Roger Cardinale, president, CEC Entertainment, Inc. "Our challenge is to deliver an experience not available at home, and there is no doubt virtual reality does just that. Oculus Rift technology is the next frontier in the gaming industry, and we're thrilled to be able to say it's part of the Chuck E. Cheese's lineup."

During the six week trial, "Chuck E. Cheese's Virtual Ticket Blaster Experience" will be part of a birthday package, meaning only the birthday boy or girl will get a chance to shoot at tickets using the Oculus Rift. In a video demo, all the kids that used the HMD said that they felt like Chuck E. Cheese was right there with them in the virtual environment, floating in space. That's the typical response from most individuals who use the VR specs.

Using the Oculus Rift at Chuck E. Cheese's was made possible by Dallas-based Reel FX. The company became an early adopter when the Oculus Rift was still a Kickstarter project. Chuck E. Cheese's began working with Reel FX back in 2012, seeking their help to re-imagine Chuck E. Cheese.

"We believe that virtual reality eventually will be as popular as our handheld devices," said Reel FX founder and executive creative director Dale Carman. "It's a game-changer, and we're investing incredible time and talent into developing content for the Oculus Rift." (Double quote)

I believe that Facebook has something to do with this. Anyways, it's great that they are trying to make VR popular. Thumbs up for that. Do you guys really think that people will like the first dev kit + parents will support their children using them?

post-57807-0-27380600-1400636242.jpg

Now all they need is one room. They just throw 20 kids in the room and give them rifts. And then they sit back and enjoy. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

This is amazing for them, it's a ride without having to build fancy seats and enclosures.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

This was a good laugh. NEVER going to take my kids to Chuck E cheese's now. DAMN YOU ZUCKERBEEEEEEEEEEERRRRGGG

Diamond 5 in League :)

That would be quite the sight: A bunch of unmoving children sitting in a room stuffing their faces with burgers and wearing a VR headset instead of the usual jungle gym stuff. Can't get more American than that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This was a good laugh. NEVER going to take my kids to Chuck E cheese's now. DAMN YOU ZUCKERBEEEEEEEEEEERRRRGGG

† TTCF Member †

Maybe they'll put a rat face on the front of the Oculus so everyone looks like a rat. 

† TTCF Member †

Maybe they'll put a rat face on the front of the Oculus so everyone looks like a rat. 

Kinda like jack septic eye?hqdefault.jpg

Diamond 5 in League :)

Now all they need is one room. They just throw 20 kids in the room and give them rifts. And then they sit back and enjoy. 

I'm all for that as long as they think they're playing tekken and we combine it with motion tracking.

Yes I'm quite evil.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I'm all for that as long as they think they're playing tekken and we combine it with motion tracking.

Yes I'm quite evil.

BREAKING NEWS!

7 kids found dead by a slushy machine at Chuck E. Cheese

It is dead people. Dead, dead and dead. I said it as soon as Facebook bought it and I will say it again.  It is dead.  

Maybe the people who made the new Wolfenstein game can join Facebook and Oculus in ruining gaming and VR together.  Wouldn't that be great?

Great idea btw feed the people bad pizza and other food and drink and then have them put on Oculus and puke everywhere.  Wonderful idea.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

What bugs me is that it's not even replacing something like their actual arcade cabinets. It's replacing the gosh darn ticket blower! Why would you replace that?  Also something else, It really bugs me that they totally changed Chuck! It's so weird seeing some cg-animated mouse made closer to scale than some serious tmnt sized animated rat!!

That would be quite the sight: A bunch of unmoving children sitting in a room stuffing their faces with burgers and wearing a VR headset instead of the usual jungle gym stuff. Can't get more American than that.

I'll have you know that Chuck E. Cheese's is an establishment that serves pizza!....Which isn't much better but still! It's the principle!!!!

-Cheers!!!

-P.S. My initials are really P.B.J. Does that explain enough? :D

I'll have you know that Chuck E. Cheese's is an establishment that serves pizza!....Which isn't much better but still! It's the principle!!!!

My bad, that brand of franchises hasn't reached this lands yet.

-------

Current Rig

-------

My bad, that brand of franchises hasn't reached this lands yet.

Hey no worries! Just givin' ya guff! It's fun to do that now and then!

-Cheers!!!

-P.S. My initials are really P.B.J. Does that explain enough? :D