LG C3 42" vs Philips OLED808 42" as pc monitor for non-competitive gaming?

Slyceth

Big, bigger, biggest! Oled! I really want a bigger screen and since OLED's are currently restricted to ultrawides and I really need a 16:9 display I thought why not get one of these?

The problem is that the LG C3 is 20$ more expensive than the Philips OLED808.

I wasn't able to find out if they have the same panel, I mean, they should have, right?

So why not go for the cheaper Philips and get free backlighting (the advertised big feature of it)

But I need to be sure I'm not making a big mistake when it comes to quality so if anybody could advice me, I think I'm the first to ask this, and on top of that, these 2 displays are the only options for a sub-1000$ 42" 120Hz OLED pc gaming monitor, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help is appreciated! Even just finding info on what these displays' difference really is for gaming.

14 minutes ago, Slyceth said:

The problem is that the LG C3 is 20$ more expensive

When spending $800-$1000, I'm not sure how this is even worth considering. LG's C series and specifically the 42" models are known quantities, more  people use them to help support you and the more guides for proper setup exist. As a C2 42" owner, it seems like a no brainer if there is basically no price difference. Everything you could want to know is at /r/OLED_Gaming 

Gigabyte has a desktop 42 inch oled screen too

Either way thr lg c2/c3 are also staples for this and can be used as a desktop monitor whilst managing the burn in decently

6 hours ago, Slyceth said:

LG C3 is 20$

20$ only a meal cost, seriously I don’t think you should consider into this.

LG is one of the best, basically still the best implementation on OLED and HDR. I would suggest go for LG C3.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

The 42" LG C2 i've used as my main monitor for over a year now was (and still is) an amazing buy.

LG (in my experience) is also the best display brand when it comes to software support and general lack of issues in their firmwares. They're the closest of any brand to selling you displays that "just work".

The C2 (and C3) also come with a bunch of gaming features and delivers you a top-tier gaming experience on top of that OLED HDR goodness that will deliver a better overall experience than most of their competitors. Even though the C3 might not be the best in every specific spec like brightness for example, it's the best overall package.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Made acc to reply. 

I recently bought the 42OLED808 and oh my, is it an experience. 

While you are in awe by its sharp en clear pictures you get mesmerized with a colorful ambiance making your wall and space the canvas for your content so you can be immersed in it even more. 

With its remarkable low latency using your pc and playing your favorite games wil feel snappy and smooth. 

It uses Android OS which is a great deal for e. g. tweaking the developer options to make your os faster by doubling the animation speed and downloading custom streaming apps.

I could keep going about why i think it is the perfect tv for my pc setup, but in all honesty, it really is the Ambilight that creates the magic for me. Once you go ambi, you will never wonder how dark your room is or can be. 

I’d say buy and try for urself. I suppose you can always return it if the light scares you and you prefer a dark room, you vampire. 

I am very sure that they are the same panel (nobody else made a 42 inch 4k OLED ), however, that doesn't mean they will deliver the same experiece. Asus 42 inch OLED use the same panel as LG C2 yet the experiece is a nightmare - at least for a year or so from what I've heard.

LG also enjoy better app support, if you want to install a tool to make your TV wake up and sleep with your PC just like a real monitor, you will find a lot more instructions and option for LG than anything else.