How to properly set up Speedfan

Morfy

By popular demand, i bring you the ultimate, most utterly good, extremely helpfull, full of usefull info,

(ran out of atributes) guide on how to properly set up Speedfan, with the option to turn your fans completely off,

just like Linus' M-Cubed T- Balancer.

Where to download:  http://www.almico.com/speedfan449.exe

Please watch it on youtube, so you can like and subscribe if you want to :D

Here is the written version, a little bit longer than the one in the video:

1.  First off, you wanna download the installer, from almico.com/speedfan.php. After that is ready, open it, it installs very easy, next next next style, and then open it.

2.  This guide will include how to set the fans up to a temp curve, and also how to completely turn them off. This was the feature i was looking for, because maximum silence.

3.  In order to do this, you wanna set the control to manual, then turn all the fans down except one. This way you will be able to identify them, and rename accordingly in the *fans* tab.

post-4159-0-69182500-1400598142.jpg

4. Then you should head on to the advanced tab, and check that the motherboard fan controlling hardware is selected properly. Also, manual mode must be selected for the pwm controlling options.

post-4159-0-20694100-1400598217.jpg

5. After this, you will need to set the minimum value at which the fans should spin, and the max one in the *speeds* tab.

6. Next up, you gotta open the *Fan Control* tab and set up a curve for each and every fan. Be carefull to select the mobo controlling hardware and according CPU temp probe, Speedfan recognises all the temp sensors and headers in your PC.

post-4159-0-97526700-1400598223.jpg

7. Then, after all this is done, start a stressfull application, like Prime95, Aida64 system tester or intel burn test, to raise the temps and verify that the controlling suite works.

8. After that, all you need to do is go in the startup folder ( C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) and create a shortcut to Speedfan. Credits for this go to @cooperred (sorry i think i pronounced you name wrong in the video, still a shoutout tho :P), thanks alot for this tip, it's been very helpfull.

Well guys, that's all, thanks for having a look at this guide, share it with anybody that is looking for something like this, also feel free to message me regarding any guides that you wanna see, through youtube message, or on facebook, my name is Vlad Nicula, or on twitter, @Techmorfy.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

• 3 weeks later...

How many pins do the fan headers on your mobo have? Also, have you watched the video, it's pretty thorough. If you can't manage to handle it, i can team viewer it for you, if you want me to.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Wonder if this will work on my Dell. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It has a special Dell laptop option in the settings, try it out!

Doesn't work, fans keep on ramping up to 100% when CPU temp goes over 50 C.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Please make sure you've set your max fan speed in the *Fans* tab, and also the max temp shown on the graph in the *Fan Control* tab should be 5 degrees higher that what yur cpu will ever reach. Say you want a max fan speed of 60%, set that in the *Fans* tab, and then if your CPU hits 70 degrees in Prime 95, click the small arrow under the graph to reach 75 degrees as your max temp limit on the graph. In my example picture i have it set to 81, you can take it lower or higher. 

Thanks for the guide! I am having problems controlling the speed of my CPU coolers fan however, and it is the only 4-pin in the system.

What mobo do you have?

Wait why are you here?

Thanks Helped A lot! :)

Thanks Helped A lot! :)

Sir, i am geniunely confused

What mobo do you have?

I have an Asus P8Z77-V Le plus running windows 8.1

I can control the fan's speed but I only see increases in RPM above 40% and below that the RPM does not decrease below ~600.

The fan is the stock fan for a CoolerMaster 212 EVO, does it have anything to do with the listed minimum RPM being 600?

Thanks again for the guide, work flawlessly otherwise!

It shouldn't be. I had that motherboard, try desabling CPU Fan monitoring in bios, then make sure you set the minimum limit as being 0 in the *Speeds* tab for the said particular fan. Altough, now that i think about it, i can't see my pump either, which is plugged in the cpu fan header. Nevertheless, try it and report back!

It shouldn't be. I had that motherboard, try desabling CPU Fan monitoring in bios, then make sure you set the minimum limit as being 0 in the *Speeds* tab for the said particular fan. Altough, now that i think about it, i can't see my pump either, which is plugged in the cpu fan header. Nevertheless, try it and report back!

Disabling CPU fan monitoring in the bios had no effect on Speedfan's ability to drop its speed below 600rpm. I also tried adjusting the fan's profile in the bios and setting it's minimum speed to 0, this also had no effect. I am going to try hooking up a non-PMW fan to the fan header and running it that way when I am able to get my hands on another one.

I suspect however that the solution lies in the BIOS as Speedfan seems to be able to control the speed above a minimum value.

• 1 year later...

So i set this up and ended up trying different fans and fan hubs on my motherboard. I can't control the rpm of more than 2 fans excluding the cpu. I tried two different ports and 5 different fans. -________-

snip

hey man, thanks a lot for making this guide.  I've pointed lots of people here as it is way easier than explaining it every time.  Only thing that I can think to add would be that when making a 0% fan mode you can adjust the minimum and maximum adjustable temperatures by clicking the arrows below the graph (left one for the lowest number, right for the highest).  I was helping someone set up their fan curves and they were concerned that the fans were spending some time at around 27% (instead of desired 60%) due to their temperature being in between setpoints (since the graphs default to a large scale.

Edit: since each dot represents an actual degree it will go straight to set point instead of ever going in between where most fans wont spin but still receive power

post-196315-0-35905400-1436477535_thumb.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Doesn't work, fans keep on ramping up to 100% when CPU temp goes over 50 C.

Go into configure -> Temperatures and find your CPU cores and Graphics Cards. Change "warning" to something like 100C. This is the temperature at which your fan profiles are ignored and all fans spin at 100%. By default this is set to 50C for some reason.

Also a note about Asus motherboards: for some reason no 4 pin can labelled "opt" (ie opt_1, opt_2...) seems to be controllable. I have only tried this on a Rampage IV Extreme and a Rampage IV Black Edition but it holds true for both. Every other 4-pin is controlled just fine.

• 5 months later...

hi there.

i have some problems with speedfan

i have 4 fans in my case

2 front

1cpu

1rear

in speedfan i can control onley 2

1 front and the on the rear

i want to control them all to reduce the noise

the program also claims that my cpu on idle is at 128 degrees celsius

and my other program sais its 45 degrees ??

on stress the temps on the other program go's up and stays the same in speedfan

i am new at this so could u plz help me out

if u need anny info of my pc let me know

hi there.

i have some problems with speedfan

i have 4 fans in my case

2 front

1cpu

1rear

in speedfan i can control onley 2

1 front and the on the rear

i want to control them all to reduce the noise

the program also claims that my cpu on idle is at 128 degrees celsius

and my other program sais its 45 degrees ??

on stress the temps on the other program go's up and stays the same in speedfan

i am new at this so could u plz help me out

if u need anny info of my pc let me know

what motherboard do you have? and what headers are all of the fans plugged into?

the temp being off is normal, depends on the mobo.  Mine shows a constant 68°c for mobo temp which isn't right, just turn off whatever temp sensors are wrong

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

what motherboard do you have? and what headers are all of the fans plugged into?

the temp being off is normal, depends on the mobo.  Mine shows a constant 68°c for mobo temp which isn't right, just turn off whatever temp sensors are wrong

i have an msi B85-G43 board

all the fans are 3 pinn cpu fan is in cpufan1

front 1 is in sysfan1

front 2 is in sysfan 2 

and rear is in sysfan 3

i have an msi B85-G43 board

all the fans are 3 pinn cpu fan is in cpufan1

front 1 is in sysfan1

front 2 is in sysfan 2 

and rear is in sysfan 3

post-196315-0-55555800-1451837911_thumb.

hmm according to this, the cpu fan's and sysfan3 are PWM controlled and sysfan 1/2 are DC controlled

If you plug a fan into cpufan 2 does it twin with the CPU fan (same speed)?  you might have to just get a couple of splitters and only use a couple of headers if you want full control, I'm only using 3 headers for 9 fans at the moment for that same reason.  For some reason my overpriced mobo has terrible fan control

edit: you did go through the guide in the video and do everything there, right?

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

hmm according to this, the cpu fan's and sysfan3 are PWM controlled and sysfan 1/2 are DC controlled

If you plug a fan into cpufan 2 does it twin with the CPU fan (same speed)?  you might have to just get a couple of splitters and only use a couple of headers if you want full control, I'm only using 3 headers for 9 fans at the moment for that same reason.  For some reason my overpriced mobo has terrible fan control

edit: you did go through the guide in the video and do everything there, right?

hey sorry i dident reply anny sooner. i had some famely things to do with the newyear.

wen i put 2 of the same fans into cpufan1 and 2 the rpms are the same

i did wath the video explained. i also set the fans in manual mode in advanced settings

1 more thing wen i close windows and turn it back on al my progress is lost (i putted speedfan into the startup row)

• 2 weeks later...

Great video and great topic!

helped me set up speed fan so that my system is whisper quiet except now i can hear my pump grinding away but what can you do :D

i would just like to point out that under the advanced tab when you select the pwm controller i didn't have a manual option so i selected software controlled instead and it works just like in the video this is on a Asus M5A99FX PRO rev. 2.0. I would also like to point out that you can only control the CPU header by itself and all the case fans together. You can't have the front fans off and just the top ones on they are all controller together. 

also given that now i have much more control over the fans would you guys recommend that i remove the low noise adapters that came with the noctua fans?

thanks again for the guide i will be using speedfan for life now :D

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 2:34 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

hey man, thanks a lot for making this guide.  I've pointed lots of people here as it is way easier than explaining it every time.  Only thing that I can think to add would be that when making a 0% fan mode you can adjust the minimum and maximum adjustable temperatures by clicking the arrows below the graph (left one for the lowest number, right for the highest).  I was helping someone set up their fan curves and they were concerned that the fans were spending some time at around 27% (instead of desired 60%) due to their temperature being in between setpoints (since the graphs default to a large scale.

Edit: since each dot represents an actual degree it will go straight to set point instead of ever going in between where most fans wont spin but still receive power

Hey 0ld_Chicken, I see you have a EVGA z97 classified motherboard. I just build my PC using one too and super excited. I spent a week trying to figure out how to make CPUID hwmonitor or speedfan detect my 3 other fans, which uses 3 pins but it is not showing up anywhere in windows.

The 3 fans shows up in my BIO with the correct RPM. I can adjust the speed in the BIO but I want really want to adjust it from Speedfan, but it just wont detect these 3 chassis fans.

Though it correctly detected my CPU fan, and I was able to configure it in Speedfan but just not the 3 chassis fans.

Can you give me some pointers. Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, razerfilm said:

Hey 0ld_Chicken, I see you have a EVGA z97 classified motherboard. I just build my PC using one too and super excited. I spent a week trying to figure out how to make CPUID hwmonitor or speedfan detect my 3 other fans, which uses 3 pins but it is not showing up anywhere in windows.

The 3 fans shows up in my BIO with the correct RPM. I can adjust the speed in the BIO but I want really want to adjust it from Speedfan, but it just wont detect these 3 chassis fans.

Though it correctly detected my CPU fan, and I was able to configure it in Speedfan but just not the 3 chassis fans.

Can you give me some pointers. Much appreciated.

I have the same issue unfortunately and am extremely disappointed since my Asus (which is half the msrp$) had full pwm control of all 5 headers. I can only get DC control from my 2 cpu headers and the one header that is directly underneath the I/o shroud. That also really upset me, one of the 3 accessible headers isn't usable unless you cut into the shroud, which I did.  I am using 2 headers with splitters for fans and one header for my pump. All the rest are unusable to me. Please let me know if you figure anything out! I will literally pay you money lol