BitDefender free edition, suddenly ask for license renewal?

I've been using BitDefender free version for some months now.

Then today suddenly it said that I was unprotected and that I had to renew a license. The link it provided lead me to that I had to buy their software and there were no free version alternatives on that page.

I thought the free version were like free forever. Never have I read that it was time limited. I just wanted some basic protection that were better than Windows Defender.

Well I got disappointed and uninstalled it, using Windows Defender for now. Atleast it doesn't use as much ram as BitDefender did....

Have anyone else used BitDefender free and got suddenly suprised like this?

Windows Defender is perfectly adequate, and it's far less intrusive than third party antivirus solutions.

Install MalwayreBytes and run it once in a while if you want a second opinion.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 1 month later...

In past, many softwares that offer free option would require you to have account and renew "license" yearly. Avast for example. Its been a while since I've last had BitDefender  free version and I kinda do recall having to renew license. Which was pretty much logging in and requesting free license. So if you have used it for 3 months (typical trial time), then that would cause it. Also, BitDefender just got major update which also might have prompted for renewal (I have paid version).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv