Stuck on 100% Usage [Help me :((]

HendryyyyyVarrrr
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
2 minutes ago, HendryyyyyVarrrr said:

Are those signs of dying HDD?

Yeah just means it ran out of error correcting sectors and is going into it's last stage before eventual failure.

Just replace it asap and leave the laptop off for now. Then fresh windows and move on from the hdd basically.

Hello.
So, i have an old laptop (ROG GL553VD). Currently, im using an HDD (i just dont bother to replace it because i already built my own PC).
I gave my laptop to my sister, but she constantly telling me that the laptop is too slow.

I mean yeah, its old, but it was not as slow as i remembered.

I went and troubleshot the prob, and i found that the HDD is  constantly running at 100% usage.

What i do:
1. defrag

2. removing unused app

3. error checking

4. delete temporary files

5. check for viruses (i got malwarebytes installed, and the result is clean)

But i got no result.
I also checked that my hdd Health is currently at 86%. Is that the reason?
Is that number means that i have to change my HDD? or can i save this HDD?

Thank you very much
(FYI i got 8GB of RAM if that helps)

I mean well 86% ain great but should be doable.

Either way I assume win 10 if not win 11 on it?

Modern os's prefer 16gb of ram over 8gb and else start using the swap file hard which puts a lot of load on the hdd which is already struggling to run win 10/11 since those operating systems really are NOT made to run on hard drives anymore.

So I'd recommend doing a fresh windows install starting from 0 and putting a cheap ssd in there because no matter what you do it'll be slow with a hdd

Doing a heap of swap operations is also hard on the cpu so wouldnt be too unlikely if it's causing high usage.

Also on another note check temps. Might be it's  also running quite hot, thus lowering the cpu speed, thus lowering performance, thus more cpu resources are needed for swapping, thus the system runs slower

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean well 86% ain great but should be doable.

Either way I assume win 10 if not win 11 on it?

Modern os's prefer 16gb of ram over 8gb and else start using the swap file hard which puts a lot of load on the hdd which is already struggling to run win 10/11 since those operating systems really are NOT made to run on hard drives anymore.

So I'd recommend doing a fresh windows install starting from 0 and putting a cheap ssd in there because no matter what you do it'll be slow with a hdd

Doing a heap of swap operations is also hard on the cpu so wouldnt be too unlikely if it's causing high usage.

Also on another note check temps. Might be it's  also running quite hot, thus lowering the cpu speed, thus lowering performance, thus more cpu resources are needed for swapping, thus the system runs slower

Thanks for the reply!

It is Win 10. Fair point, its an old laptop, i should just replace the HDD, but i want it as a last resort (im tight on money this month haha)
About temps, its normal.

What concerns me are:
1. 100% usage when idle

2. current pending sector count on Caution status on CrystalDiskInfo.

2 minutes ago, HendryyyyyVarrrr said:

Yeah just means it ran out of error correcting sectors and is going into it's last stage before eventual failure.

Just replace it asap and leave the laptop off for now. Then fresh windows and move on from the hdd basically.

+1 for just swapping a cheap ssd into it and reinstalling windows, or even put a linux distro on there, depending on what your sister does with it of course.

I've found through the last 10 years or so, most people that are not well versed in computers in general, only use them for internet... in which case a linux distro would be perfect, light for ram usage and disk space in general. I'm still running an old Asus x53e with an intel i7 4c/8t from circa 2010 in dual booting with a cheap, small ssd and it runs perfectly... I use linux when not needed for anything major, and windows if I have to. This is just my backup machine, my main desktops are used most of the time, but still handy for those times when my other machines are busy, or I just need to do some quick online stuff etc. The SSD even is an old samsung 60GB 830 from the same era, any newer ssd will be much faster even a cheap-ish 240gb for approx £15

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I see.

Thank you so much!

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

+1 for just swapping a cheap ssd into it and reinstalling windows, or even put a linux distro on there, depending on what your sister does with it of course.

I've found through the last 10 years or so, most people that are not well versed in computers in general, only use them for internet... in which case a linux distro would be perfect, light for ram usage and disk space in general. I'm still running an old Asus x53e with an intel i7 4c/8t from circa 2010 in dual booting with a cheap, small ssd and it runs perfectly... I use linux when not needed for anything major, and windows if I have to. This is just my backup machine, my main desktops are used most of the time, but still handy for those times when my other machines are busy, or I just need to do some quick online stuff etc. The SSD even is an old samsung 60GB 830 from the same era, any newer ssd will be much faster even a cheap-ish 240gb for approx £15

She mainly uses it for Sims 4 and work stuffs.

But yeah, i guess i need to buy a new SSD. Any recommendations for cheaper SSD that last a lil bit longer than the other?
Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#t=0&f=3&sort=price&page=1

take your pick, they're all much of the same these days for 2.5" drives on the lower end of the price list. I'd just pick one that's within your budget, and at least 250gb if you can afford it.

5 minutes ago, HendryyyyyVarrrr said:

She mainly uses it for Sims 4 and work stuffs.

But yeah, i guess i need to buy a new SSD. Any recommendations for cheaper SSD that last a lil bit longer than the other?
Thanks!

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Yeah just means it ran out of error correcting sectors

Ecc is on every sector so technically that's not possible. Do you mean spare sectors? Smart will trigger a predicted failure when that happens, and that hasn't happened yet.

2 hours ago, HendryyyyyVarrrr said:

Thanks for the reply!

It is Win 10. Fair point, its an old laptop, i should just replace the HDD, but i want it as a last resort (im tight on money this month haha)
About temps, its normal.

What concerns me are:
1. 100% usage when idle

2. current pending sector count on Caution status on CrystalDiskInfo.

Could you post that crystaldiskinfo report? If the number of bad sectors isn't increasing over time, and if you can get those pending sectors to reallocate, you should be ok to keep using it.