Does a fiber ONT box act as the "modem"?

notnotoriouslol

Currently on hold with Cox, but I feel like the LTT community will  be 10x more helpful

Currently running on Cox 1Gb fiber. Everything is "okay" so far, except for my roommates down in the basement. We are 5 people living in the same house, but some have issues with the internet. I was looking to buy a modem and a router but then realized that I would have no coax to hook up the modem. My question (as stated in the title) is, does the ONT box, that was installed by Cox, work as the modem? Could I just plug in a router, set it up, and have running wifi? I'm looking at the ASUS RT-AX82U currently, but I also don't see it on the Cox website as a "certified" device.

Thank you all in advance.

What do you use for Wifi currently? It sounds like you just need another access point, not a whole other router. The ONT or Optical Network Terminal is more like a media converter. Taking fiber in and giving you Ethernet and/or Coax out. 

18 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What do you use for Wifi currently? It sounds like you just need another access point, not a whole other router. The ONT or Optical Network Terminal is more like a media converter. Taking fiber in and giving you Ethernet and/or Coax out. 

The routers provided by Cox have been awful... I've had a really bad experience with all of them, so I decided to finally get my own equipment.

3 hours ago, notnotoriouslol said:

but I also don't see it on the Cox website as a "certified" device.

Cox primarily does Docsis Cable internet. So most likely any devices listed on their site are more for the Cable internet side. They would have Cable modems and Gateway's on their list that they are known to support.

Personally I didnt know they did Fiber to the home. May I ask how much they are charging you?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.