What can I do to get away from an ISPs Modem?

Infernalz

Everything I read says there's no way to get around an ISPs forced rented (or sometimes purchasable to be fair) modem/router/access point/switch combo box. Even if I want to buy a new router there's really nothing out there I can buy that takes over for the actual modem aspect of the ISPs device. I've also seen there can be a way to make whatever I have now a modem-only thing and attach a separate router to that but no way to purchase my own third-party device that can act as a modem also.

Is there anything that can take over modem duties from my ISP box? Especially for different ISPs if/when I'd shop around I don't want to have to get a whole new modem for the whole new ISP. I'm already looking at routers but what can I do about the modem aspect since it seems none of them cover that part?

Just now, Infernalz said:

Everything I read says there's no way to get around an ISPs forced rented (or sometimes purchasable to be fair) modem/router/access point/switch combo box. Even if I want to buy a new router there's really nothing out there I can buy that takes over for the actual modem aspect of the ISPs device. I've also seen there can be a way to make whatever I have now a modem-only thing and attach a separate router to that but no way to purchase my own third-party device that can act as a modem also.

Is there anything that can take over modem duties from my ISP box? Especially for different ISPs if/when I'd shop around I don't want to have to get a whole new modem for the whole new ISP. I'm already looking at routers but what can I do about the modem aspect since it seems none of them cover that part?

What kind of connection ya got? ADSL/VDSL/COAX ?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

You can usually get a third party box that supports the same connection type as your ISP, but your ISP won't help you with this, and might actually terminate your service if using a third party box is not part of the TOS. If you really hate your ISP router, disable everything on it so it's basically a modem (or use "modem only mode" ideally if it has this) then connect a router of your choice to the LAN 1 port.

yeah I do hate the monopoly of ISPs. might be some "DRM's/encryption" and service validation?
so I guess the others say that if you could route the data through it for a router, hate that ISPs make shady deals with consumers wont tell you any details and the service people dont know much either, while also charging more for 5-10y old tech when finding the details about it's spec (which they try to hide like many brands). With many stupid claims of "the best, more coverage, looking modern!" 😞

and oh yeah, most ISP or TV provided stuff never gets cooled correctly either from what it looks like too.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah I do hate the monopoly of ISPs. might be some "DRM's/encryption" and service validation?

Its actually a good thing if you are on cable or FTTP, otherwise all your neighbours would be able to snoop on your traffic.  Its all based on standards for the different broadband technologies, there's not really any technical reason it is limited to the ISPs provided modem/gateway only and usually isn't.  But they may verify the serial number or MAC address to make sure its not one of your neighbours trying to use your account.  There may be a username and password in addition to this to authenticate with the ISP end.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

so I guess the others say that if you could route the data through it for a router, hate that ISPs make shady deals with consumers wont tell you any details and the service people dont know much either, while also charging more for 5-10y old tech when finding the details about it's spec (which they try to hide like many brands). With many stupid claims of "the best, more coverage, looking modern!" 😞

and oh yeah, most ISP or TV provided stuff never gets cooled correctly either from what it looks like too.

Depends on the ISP and the country.  It makes sense to only allow their own modem that they can guarantee (in theory) is 100% compatible with their service.  The PITA is when they insist you use their gateway and don't offer bridge mode.

Cable in the UK for example ONLY let you use their modem, but they support bridge mode.

Most DSL services let you use your own gateway.  Many of the new FTTP services provide an ONT (effectively modem only) so you can easily use your own router.

I've seen a lot of people moan about overheating over the years, but I honestly don't see how its common.  Remember, people only post on forums when they have a problem, compared to the 99% of customers where everything works fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

If your ISP allows you to use third party modems, they should have a list of officially supported devices. Your best bet is to pick one from that list.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

If your ISP allows you to use third party modems, they should have a list of officially supported devices. Your best bet is to pick one from that list.

My current ISP and one I could switch to both have their short lists of approved modems and they're all just their own branded ones. I get it's probably just DRM or trade secrets or what not but is this the only route we have?

7 hours ago, cooky560 said:

You can usually get a third party box that supports the same connection type as your ISP, but your ISP won't help you with this, and might actually terminate your service if using a third party box is not part of the TOS. If you really hate your ISP router, disable everything on it so it's basically a modem (or use "modem only mode" ideally if it has this) then connect a router of your choice to the LAN 1 port.

Is the 'modem only' mode something that needs to be set up with the ISP? I know I have a way into the web portal that you could get to by just going to 192.168.1.1 (or there's a name for it I'm sure) but I'm not seeing any "turn on modem only mode" button. Problem is this still means I'd have to rent/buy out the modem still going forward.

No device I look at actually says it does modem duties nor does any recent (~1 year old or so) videos on routers from LTT actually go into it.

Modem mode is something my ISPs routers offer, as I have a fibre connection and the ISP provides a router rather than a modem. It lets you connect any router to their network, or if you don't want to, you can use their device as a wireless router.

14 hours ago, Infernalz said:

Is there anything that can take over modem duties from my ISP box?

If you live in the US and have Docsis Cable internet then yes. Because by FCC mandate cable companies have to allow customer owned modems and gateways. But outside that its what ever the ISP or your nation allows.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

21 hours ago, Infernalz said:

My current ISP and one I could switch to both have their short lists of approved modems and they're all just their own branded ones. I get it's probably just DRM or trade secrets or what not but is this the only route we have?

Its not DRM, trade secrets, or secret sauce of any kind when it comes to networking.  Its so they can create a script that any monkey can follow to give tech support.

I used to do tech support at an ISP that DIDN'T do that (to be fair it pre-dated consumer routers so it wasn't really possible) and honestly it was nightmare.  You never knew what you were supposed to give support for, we'd get hundreds of tickets for stuff we weren't support to help with, but little guidance about specifically what we should and should not help with.  What made it worse is they were one of the few that provided web hosting too, we weren't supposed to help at all with that (it was considering more a bonus I think by the ISP), but customers did not understand that.

So I can completely understand why most ISPs these days have a strict list of supported hardware, usually that they can alter the config of remotely.  The theory being then if it doesn't work, its their problem, not yours.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/15/2023 at 5:48 PM, Donut417 said:

If you live in the US and have Docsis Cable internet then yes. Because by FCC mandate cable companies have to allow customer owned modems and gateways. But outside that its what ever the ISP or your nation allows.

In USA, currently on Century Link and I know Xfinity covers this area also. I just found this site that apparently covers approved/usable modems. Though third party but it's more than the 4 options they approve on the ISPs site. I don't see a single one that covers both ISPs but one being phone line and the other a cable connection I can guess that's why. Looks like Century Link probably isn't DOCSIS being a phone line.

Would it be this easy in the end? Buy one of those modems (or see if I can do a modem only mode on the one I have) then plug a real router off that?

9 minutes ago, Infernalz said:

Looks like Century Link probably isn't DOCSIS being a phone line.

Docsis is Coax based providers. Thats Comcast, Charter, Cox, Mediacom, WOW for example. AT&T, Verizon, Century Link, and Fronteir offer Fiber and DSL based services. Only Coax based internet is covered by the FCC mandate.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.