Is my old ssd or psu slowing down my pc?

Hello! 

I’ve recently experienced and realized that my pc is not as smooth and not as fast as my friends pc’s..

When I upgraded from 60 to 165hz I noticed the difference immediately but I also noticed that my screen and gameplay wasn’t as smooth and didn’t have the same “flow” that my friends had..

I have a 1660 6gb, ryzen 5 5600x,

16gb ram 2133mhz.. 

I changed gpu with my friend who has an 2060 8gb to see if there would be any difference.. we didn’t notice a difference on his setup..he had a smooth experience on the windows desktop and while gaming but back on my pc with the upgraded gpu it was still the same experience as before but with more fps in game..

I always thought that it was my screen that gave me a un-smooth experience while gaming and browsing the web..

I than tried to figure out if there could be something that I could change in my pc but I don’t know what!

I thought that I have upgraded everything that I could upgrade until recently.. I realized that I have 2 components that are around 8 years old.. my 650w gold power supply and my ssd with 120gb that runs windows..

I have a m.2 with 500gb that I installed for games but now am starting to wonder if I would get a better experience if I installed windows on my m.2 or upgrading my power supply…

Simply asking if someone here maybe has any idea of what could be the reason for why am not having the same smooth experience as my friends and videos am seeing on YouTube ://

How much space is left on the drive? SSDs can get really slow when they get full

Also how do you mean "smooth" like it jitters or things arent loading right?

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

Well, I would suggest upgrade your RAM to 3200 or 3600MHz,

DDR4 is already at the pinnacle of product cycle, which means it will get cheaper to cleanse old stock, plus Ryzen works really well with higher speed of RAM

Storage speed has little effect on gaming performance, so 120 SSD is probably won't bottleneck compared to M.2

But my suggestion, it's nice to keep your OS and game directory at the same storage, and games is quite beefy these day, so upgrade to 500GB M.2 is probably a long waited upgrade

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

3 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

DDR4 is already at the pinnacle of product cycle, which means it will get cheaper to cleanse old stock, plus Ryzen works really well with higher speed of RAM

Storage speed has little effect on gaming performance, so 120 SSD is probably won't bottleneck compared to M.2

But my suggestion, it's nice to keep your OS and game directory at the same storage, and games is quite beefy these day, so upgrade to 500GB M.2 is probably a long waited upgrade

You might also want to check if youre getting all of the performace of your RAM. 2133 is the default for DDR4. If the RAM you installed is capable of 2666 or 3200 or 3600 or whatever you might need to enable XMP or I dont remember the AMD equivilent in the BIOS of the computer

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

What are the full specs of your build? What power supply are you using? Have you monitored CPU and GPU usage and clocks during gaming? 

I personally am of the opinion that putting Windows on your M.2 drive would not resolve your issue. If it does, it's not directly correlated to usage of the M.2 drive. It would be more likely related to your methodology of putting Windows on the drive(i.e. reinstalling Windows). This is especially true if your M.2 drive is just SATA, not NVMe. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

I take issue with this primarily when you're dealing with streaming textures. If you play anything that relies heavily on streaming textures(Ratchet and Clank for example), your storage drive will get thrashed in certain areas, and the hitching and choppiness can absolutely be attributed to the slowness of the storage drive.

I also had this experience with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, where storing it on my hard drive caused noticeable hitching. Moving to my SSD...the hitching went completely away because the drive was able to much more rapidly allow objects to be loaded in.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I take issue with this primarily when you're dealing with streaming textures. If you play anything that relies heavily on streaming textures(Ratchet and Clank for example), your storage drive will get thrashed in certain areas, and the hitching and choppiness can absolutely be attributed to the slowness of the storage drive.

I also had this experience with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, where storing it on my hard drive caused noticeable hitching. Moving to my SSD...the hitching went completely away because the drive was able to much more rapidly allow objects to be loaded in.

its not really the speed of the writes or reads

what the i ops?

seeing most consumer ssd have low i ops

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

6 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

its not really the speed of the writes or reads

what the i ops?

seeing most consumer ssd have low i ops

I didn't really specify what the cause of the change was, except moving from a hard drive to an SSD. 

The point is purely that your storage drive can absolutely have an impact on your frame rate and frame times, depending on a video game is developed. I wasn't trying to get into the nitty gritty. With higher IOPS, that still makes the SSD faster, therefore allowing things to be loaded in much faster because the system waited for less time compared to using a hard drive.

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Sure, but going from sata ssd to nvme will not solve the problem. You can argue semantics, but he was talking about ssds, not harddrives.

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Sure, but going from sata ssd to nvme will not solve the problem. You can argue semantics, but he was talking about ssds, not harddrives.

He specifically stated:

Storage speed has little effect on gaming performance[...]

The quote above is generic because they state 'storage speed' without specifying what types of drives they're talking about. He only mentioned going from one SSD to another because that's what's specifically being referenced here by the OP.

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

He specifically stated:

The quote above is generic because they state 'storage speed' without specifying what types of drives they're talking about. He only mentioned going from one SSD to another because that's what's specifically being referenced here by the OP.

Like I said, arguing semantics.

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Like I said, arguing semantics.

If a statement allows someone to draw a wrong conclusion, or if they push the statement outside of this specific thread, then it should be corrected. The words we choose have an effect, whether we intended it or not.

I am far too lazy to read through this entire post, but since I haven't seen anyone mention it before... Did you define your experience of "non-smoothness?" I've found that game settings can really change your experience with this. For example, turning Vsync on causes a god awful stutter in most games for me.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

5 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

I am far too lazy to read through this entire post, but since I haven't seen anyone mention it before... Did you define your experience of "non-smoothness?" I've found that game settings can really change your experience with this. For example, turning Vsync on causes a god awful stutter in most games for me.

I’ve tried a bunch of different settings.. everything from yt tutorials where they give you “most fps, smoothest experience, copying my friends etc.. still the same :/.. I’ve tried with vsync on & off…

6 hours ago, Macfox38 said:

How much space is left on the drive? SSDs can get really slow when they get full

Also how do you mean "smooth" like it jitters or things arent loading right?

My sss has around 16gb left.

Tbh I don’t really know how to explain when it comes to the “smooth” part..

While comparing pc’s while gaming and using the web there’s an obvious difference while using the pc’s have we confirmed..

while gaming we noticed some screen tearing, the screen doesn’t feel smooth and as responsive as my friends pc’s..

really don’t know how to describe it 😕

7 hours ago, ImWilly said:

I don’t know if this makes a difference or helps but I overlocked my ram to 2666mhz..

I’ll try to see if there’s a difference and if if not..than I’ll probably upgrade my ram

7 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What are the full specs of your build? What power supply are you using? Have you monitored CPU and GPU usage and clocks during gaming? 

I personally am of the opinion that putting Windows on your M.2 drive would not resolve your issue. If it does, it's not directly correlated to usage of the M.2 drive. It would be more likely related to your methodology of putting Windows on the drive(i.e. reinstalling Windows). This is especially true if your M.2 drive is just SATA, not NVMe. 

My power supply is a 650w gq gold (don’t really know if than info is enough:/ ) 

and my m.2 is a NVMe

and no I haven’t really done any monitoring except for just general observation..

27 minutes ago, Ljhuncho said:

I don’t know if this makes a difference or helps but I overlocked my ram to 2666mhz..

I’ll try to see if there’s a difference and if if not..than I’ll probably upgrade my ram

There's a good chance for that. Oh yeah I just notice you mention "Ryzen 6600X", do you mean Ryzen 5600X?
Because only GPU Radeon has 6600 naming on the product

DDR4 RAM is not that expensive nowadays, and it started at 3200MHz (and overclockable to 3600MHz), so it's worth considering, but better try to test on OC of your RAM first to make sure

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord