Almost 100% Safe Method to Delid Your CPU

I saw this on a another forum, but I haven't seen it here. I thought I'd post it because it's pretty valuable information.

I'm sorry if it's not okay to link other forums here, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't read the ToS when I registered and I can't find it anymore. I'm just linking it here so I don't have to plagiarize or take any credit for this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_20

Basically, instead of removing the IHS with a razor blade and risking cutting into the PCB, this new method uses a vice to clamp down the IHS, and then you put a piece of wood against the PCB and tap it lightly with a hammer and it should come right off.

Here is a video, if you don't quite understand what I'm saying. (Not mine)

So far in that thread plenty of people have done it successfuly  and only one person failed. The only reason the one person failed is because he hit it too hard and the PCB went flying off into a wall and damaged one of the corners.

If you are going to try this, make sure your vice is steady, otherwise you are going to have difficulty getting the two to separate. Also, if you are going to do this, you should use Coolaboratory Liquid Pro or Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra, inbetween the die and the IHS order to get significant temperature improvements (It's not reccomended to use it inbetween the IHS and your CPU cooler though, just use regular thermal paste).

If you need anymore information, it's probably in that thread. I happen to have a vice mounted to a desk in my basement, but I'm waiting to get some CLU (Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra) and some good thermal paste for my cooler before I give this a try.

The way I see if you risk bending the PCB/DIE and I think it bends the IHS and it causes the adhesive to crack. I would not say this is 100% safe but it is quicker than a razor blade.

Just did this today, pretty nerve racking. But it is simple and painless, dropped my 3770k's temps a good 25C.

Just did this today, pretty nerve racking. But it is simple and painless, dropped my 3770k's temps a good 25C.

Congratz!

Really though.. The razor meathod is fine, just get some practice on an old chip. I wish people would stop with this "it's too risky" stuff..

I'm so tempted to try this out but I'm lazy and terrified.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Congratz!

Really though.. The razor meathod is fine, just get some practice on an old chip. I wish people would stop with this "it's too risky" stuff..

Well it's all very risky. You're modifying the CPU in a unintended manner. But I think people prefer this method for it's quickness and lack of blade. Both are safe if you know what you are doing. Some may not feel safe with a blade for multiple reasons, spasms or a shaky hand being some of them.

The way I see if you risk bending the PCB/DIE and I think it bends the IHS and it causes the adhesive to crack. I would not say this is 100% safe but it is quicker than a razor blade.

You can't bend the PCB/die, or at least there havent been any reports of it. The adhesive is the only thing keeping the two together, so all the force goes to the adhesive. You can't bend the PCB without it disconnecting from the adhesive, because it is connected to the IHS, and once the adhesive is disconnected, theres nothing to bend the PCB against, it will just come off. That's my theory at least. Again, no one has any reports of bending/snapping their PCB. You could probably bend the IHS if you tighten the vice too much though.

There have been no cases of someone snapping there PCB, and tons of people tried it. According to a poll on OCN the razor method had about a 75% success rate. So far, there are about 30-40 people who have done this successfully, and only one reported failure. Thats about a 97% success rate, and there has yet to be a 2nd person to ruin there chip yet.

The biggest risks here is not clamping the IHS tight enough or using too much pressure when knocking it off. I, myself, whacked it a bit too much that it sent the CPU flying across the room. Good thing it was a dead Ivy i3 I had used to practice.

The biggest risks here is not clamping the IHS tight enough or using too much pressure when knocking it off. I, myself, whacked it a bit too much that it sent the CPU flying across the room. Good thing it was a dead Ivy i3 I had used to practice.

This is what I'd be scared would happen. You could put a big pillow behind/below it so wherever the CPU flies off to it has a pillow to land on.

| i7 3770k | Maximus V Gene | GTX 770 Lightning | 8GB Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz | Seasonic G550 |

Congratz!

Yeah i know, they should just do it #yolo

PS: i am kidding, i hate the term yolo

PPS: deliding is cool

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

This is what I'd be scared would happen. You could put a big pillow behind/below it so wherever the CPU flies off to it has a pillow to land on.

You could also 2-man it and have a buddy help you out. Not much force need really. A wrist snap tap is about the force you need. 

This is awesome! If only my 3570k wasn't a present :(

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

lol the PCB went flying off of the IHS into a wall and killed the chip? That's pretty unfortunate, but at least he has a better story to tell than the other deliders who failed.

The is no way i would do this on a £250 CPU for the sake of a few extra Mhz at a few degree's cooler.....madness, i say madness ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

The is no way i would do this on a £250 CPU for the sake of a few extra Mhz at a few degree's cooler.....madness, i say madness ;)

20c or so isn't just a few degrees :P

You could also argue that it would increase the lifespan.

20c or so isn't just a few degrees :P

You could also argue that it would increase the lifespan.

Miss hit the timber and it will definitely decrease its lifespan,

On the video's and results i have seen, its not 20C its more like 8-10C, and they where really bad chips...

my 3770k runs around 75-78C on prime95 at 4.3ghz on a gelid rx-7 cooler, be nice to have it a bit lower, but forcing the lid off, not worth it.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Miss hit the timber and it will definitely decrease its lifespan,

On the video's and results i have seen, its not 20C its more like 8-10C, and they where really bad chips...

my 3770k runs around 75-78C on prime95 at 4.3ghz on a gelid rx-7 cooler, be nice to have it a bit lower, but forcing the lid off, not worth it.

I doubt that will cause any damage unless you send it across the room. Temps typically drop by 20C if you use CLP or CLU, otherwise most other TIMs only yield 5-10C drops. And I can say I've got my 3770k up around 47C at 4.6GHz with a 20C ambient.

I used this method on my own and yes, as long as you take your time, don't do something completely stupid, smash the hammer like retarded and have avarage knowledge about your tools it is pretty damn safe (I almost dropped my CPU going up the stars, but hey^^). Btw; I dropped my temps by 25°C using Liquid Ultra - currently running 4,8Ghz with 1,368V under 70°C (Prime).

And yes Intel screwd it up. If they did not use the paste Ivy would be as graet when overclokcing as Sandy...

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

It doesn't particularly matter if you drop it, there is nothing delicate about a CPU.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

super_skank, on 12 May 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Miss hit the timber and it will definitely decrease its lifespan,

You would have to be careless to hit the wood hard enough to break it, and what videos have you been watching? Here is the first video I saw when I searched it on youtube, and the guy lowered his temps by 40 degrees. Here is a chart of people who delided there CPU, http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-ivy-bridge-club/0_20

there is only a handful of people who got less than a 10C improvement, and most get 20C or higher. If you have a "really bad chip" then you would definitely get well more than 10C impovement.

• 4 months later...

can you delid amd cpu? or is this on work on intel ? 

can you delid amd cpu? or is this on work on intel ? 

Vishera based CPU's have IHS soldered (dunno about Bulldozers, but propably also are soldered). Plus they run pretty well and dont need to be delided unlike Ivy and Haswell.

It only works with non soldered IHS soo for example Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Sandy for example have IHS soldered.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!